Hornby - New tooling - 59' Bulleid 'Short' coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ed 66 plant said:

Thank you for the update--do you know if the delivery includes all coaches reqd. to make up the 4 sets?

Good news indeed for me.

I believe the first deliveries are of BR brake-thirds and SR composites. You don't say which era you seek, but neither has a three-set available yet. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As at just before time of writing, I can't see any listed as available at my usual suspects (Hattons, Rails, Kernow). Hopefully they'll have them available soon.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

As at just before time of writing, I can't see any listed as available at my usual suspects (Hattons, Rails, Kernow). Hopefully they'll have them available soon.

I'd like to find them at some smaller dealers for a reasonable price. I don't mind paying someone like Track Shack or Derails a bit more because their service is great and their survival is vital to us all.

P

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the pictures of R4888A on Rails website, two things strike me:

Firstly, the glazing looks unlike the prototype. I have no beef with Hornby about how they've done it, as they will have used their existing processes. However, the prototype glazing (except the droppable door windows) is almost entirely flush with the side of the coach. I can see a potential market for Shawplan's Lazerglaze to replace the Hornby plastic and give a much better appearance.

Secondly, the paint finish looks a little heavy, as the detail doesn't look very crisp. I'm hoping that 'in the flesh' they look better.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37391/Hornby-r4888a-oo-gauge-br-59-bulleid-suburban-corridor-brake-third-coach-s2852s

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Rails have just reminded me that I have 3 on order and one is on its' way! Old age has advantages, as I had forgotten the original order, but fortunately I did not rush to order another lot!

O. L. Degit

1 hour ago, Ian J. said:

Firstly, the glazing looks unlike the prototype. I have no beef with Hornby about how they've done it, as they will have used their existing processes. However, the prototype glazing (except the droppable door windows) is almost entirely flush with the side of the coach. I can see a potential market for Shawplan's Lazerglaze to replace the Hornby plastic and give a much better appearance.

Secondly, the paint finish looks a little heavy, as the detail doesn't look very crisp. I'm hoping that 'in the flesh' they look better.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37391/Hornby-r4888a-oo-gauge-br-59-bulleid-suburban-corridor-brake-third-coach-s2852s

I can see what you mean regarding the thick looking paint. Although being photographed in a booth under bright lights may accentuate that look of it being thick

1 hour ago, Ian J. said:

The 'shadow' round the quarterlights is definitely narrower than round the droplights and toplights - so they're closer to being flush ...... but how close they are probably depends on how heavy handed the girls in China were with the glue !

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I can see what you mean regarding the thick looking paint. Although being photographed in a booth under bright lights may accentuate that look of it being thick

Yup, I can vouch for that on my passport photo's.

Ar$£

• Funny 3

It seems one of the BR brakes, R4888, isn't being released to retailers with the other 3 versions. Hornby has some, as they show them in stock and available to order direct from Hornby, however Rails and Kernow are only receiving the other 3 versions in this release. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello  everyone. I bought the two following Bulleid BTK’s from Rails earlier today, R4888B, and R4888C. They are very good models, but I think the glazing is inset a bit much, as stated earlier, and is a little thick too. A couple of wonky steps, which I’ve straightened out, gives an impression of a rushed job to get them in the shops and sold. I’m considering options for the glazing. Maybe Lazerglaze if they release packs for these carriages.

Anyway, I’ve taken some photo’s.......

72803B6C-22B8-48AA-93CC-097DF8C82AB8.jpeg.f4964467587b3afd3f3ef7dbd5d0fcdd.jpeg

CF72653D-C6AF-44C9-8D7B-556A47419220.jpeg.7f14974b07d4268a4ec1846325793a74.jpeg

B2917CBB-DFD6-43DD-B343-1411D28512F0.jpeg.877bad59c0e374ed68338a267e63bfdd.jpeg

0B665959-6193-4A4A-9457-0D5DB3F80A63.jpeg.f8228af078296dbd5421defe9417019f.jpeg

FA14D813-DDF9-426F-AD55-94BB0B68EC52.jpeg.547d6ef06ed620c93bb058631197eff8.jpeg

6009B6DB-B036-4AF9-AD56-08686178F4C2.jpeg.10967de0a3dc03fb14858b3d6bdfc65e.jpeg

I hope the photo’s will help to clarify some things.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I see what you mean Rob about the glazing. The profile of the prototype is such a distinctive feature that any shortcomings in those areas will stand out accordingly. Hopefully, at reasonable viewing distances these anomalies will be less obvious and be acceptable.

A somewhat rather pointless thought, but I was reminded of the N gauge Graham Farish Mk1s produced in the 1980s, where windows were rendered by omitting paint on transparent bodysides; the flush glazing in that scale was quite effective and N gauge 59' Bullieds modelled in this fashion would have looked quite reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I would like to buy both BR sets but am honing in on Set 968 as I've seen photos of that set on the S&DJR in 1960s. Think Set 972 was present too but pennies are not stretching that far. Hopefully some will still be around later in the year. Slightly prefer the Maunsell Sets 390 and 399 on these Bulleids, nice as they are.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Looking at those pictures the paint looks better than under the bright studio lights.

If this has been answered before, apologies but would any of the coaches in the first run have run loose instead of in sets?

Not according to my reference materials.

P

Many thanks for the images Market65.

Having seen your images, I have to say that the glazing on the doors looks OK.

But on the quarter and side lights the glazing is not only too recessed but seems to have

quite a noticeable prismatic effect. I find this astonishing when Hornby have modelled flush

glazing almost perfectly in the past. I think the enclosed image of their 1935 BCK shows

how well it can be done.

P1340315.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Hmm... flush glazing that doesn't sit flush....the droplights remind me of the glasses Benny Hill wore in The Italian Job!  I wonder if it's possible to infill the gap between window frame and glazing with clear glaze or some such? However, the livery is acceptable and the Maunsell underframes on a par with those on Maunsell coaches.

Maybe a very light weathering will reduce the prismatic effect of the glazing? Or even a thin coat of matt varnish?

However, the above hasn't put me off purchasing.  Maybe we're just a bit too picky nowadays?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we are a bit more picky. But even if so, in this case I think Hornby were always going to struggle to get good glazing with their existing techniques. The problem, as I see it, is that ever so subtle curve in the window that matches the curve of the bodyside, something that even the later BR Mark 1s didn't do.

Thinking about Lazerglaze, I wonder if Shawplan's method is able to work with a subtle curve? I imagine possibly not, meaning we'd get flat rather than curved windows. Better than the Hornby mouldings, but still not quite right.

I too am wondering about using something like Krystal Klear for the windows, though I was thinking of replacing the existing glazing entirely. I'm just not sure that KK will stretch out to cover the largest corridor side windows.

• RMweb Premium

The Kirks were not exactly a good starting point for these coaches, to put it mildly. I have an unbuilt set where I just couldn't face bothering with them. I also have a set of the Comet kits. I built one near to the point of painting it, but the amount of fettling required for the ends was very disappointing, and with other issues in my life hitting me at that time, I gave up on them.

• Friendly/supportive 1