Hornby - New tooling - 59' Bulleid 'Short' coaches

Andy Y

Out of interest was the original chrome painted brown?

Just checked a couple of Hawksworths and see that the same colour was used on GWR chocolate and cream and the BR Maroon versions. But maybe that is correct for Hawksworths/Western Region rather than a manufacturing choice.

10 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Out of interest was the original chrome painted brown?

Just checked a couple of Hawksworths and see that the same colour was used on GWR chocolate and cream and the BR Maroon versions. But maybe that is correct for Hawksworths/Western Region rather than a manufacturing choice.

The short Bulleid coaches as modelled by Hornby always had bright chrome corridor handrails.

How Hornby missed this feature and used brown, is beyond me.

If you can find some photo's of the corridor side you'll see what I mean. They really stand out.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2019 at 22:28, trevor7598 said:

48425259_365061620730021_3207250898254299136_n[1].jpg

These handrails, in Trevor's pic, look 'bright' enough to be chrome, as do those shown in Mike King's 'Illustrated History of Southern Coaches', Plates 139 (64'-6" BTK No.2882, SR livery), 141 (59' BTK No.S 2853 S, BR(S) Green livery) and Plate 142 (59' CK No.S 5715 S, BR(S) Green livery with Cream / Yellow 1st.class stripe).

In the official SR photo, Plate 138, (CK No.5726, SR livery) the brightness of the handrails appears somewhat muted, more akin to it's Maunsell forebears, despite being photographed under direct lighting / bright sunlight.

Edited by Ceptic
Grammar and additional info.

• RMweb Gold
On 08/05/2019 at 19:45, trevor7598 said:

The short Bulleid coaches as modelled by Hornby always had bright chrome corridor handrails.

How Hornby missed this feature and used brown, is beyond me.

If you can find some photo's of the corridor side you'll see what I mean. They really stand out.

Hornby's own website photo shows the chrome handrails. And I personally am old enough to remember travelling in them as a young lad and can clearly remember them as having been chrome. And if I remember rightly they were oval-shaped not round.

Hornby Bulleid coaches

Edited by RFS

1 hour ago, RFS said:

Hornby's own website photo shows the chrome handrails. And I personally am old enough to remember travelling in them as a young lad and can clearly remember them as having been chrome. And if I remember rightly they were oval-shaped not round.

Hornby Bulleid coaches

Absolutely correct on all counts, Sir. You did well to recall that the handrails were oval.

I think I had forgotten that. If Hornby have printed them brown, it's going to be a swine to correct.

I have short coach set 968 0n order and should arrive fairly soon.This is important to me because as yet I do not have a single bulleid coach on my BRSR layout.

Is there anybody else out there who is equally eager to see the 64 feet versions progressing to a conclusion.

Given the total lack of update from Bachmann I would not mind putting an upfront deposit on such models providing there is a realistic delivery time and of current quality/detail spec. The Bournemouth 6 car dining sets would be ideal for me.

Are there many others with this real interest?

regards,

Ed

ps --this is not part of an ongoing criticism of Bachmann--just reflecting models I would really appreciate.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ed 66 plant said:

Is there anybody else out there who is equally eager to see the 64 feet versions progressing to a conclusion.

Given the total lack of update from Bachmann I would not mind putting an upfront deposit on such models providing there is a realistic delivery time and of current quality/detail spec.

I would be, but if they are going to be £80 a pop like the birdcages, I'll stick with the shorties.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, ed 66 plant said:

I have short coach set 968 0n order and should arrive fairly soon.This is important to me because as yet I do not have a single bulleid coach on my BRSR layout.

Given the total lack of update from Bachmann I would not mind putting an upfront deposit on such models providing there is a realistic delivery time and of current quality/detail spec. The Bournemouth 6 car dining sets would be ideal for me.

Are there many others with this real interest?

regards,

Ed

ps --this is not part of an ongoing criticism of Bachmann--just reflecting models I would really appreciate.

I have no issue with your reasoning, so getting Bachmann to get their 64’ (actually 63’6”) into production would be good. But this is the Hornby thread, and Hornby will not be doing the longer vehicles, period. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Hornby's are a similar RRP to their Maunsell stock. 

Bachmann haven't released any info regarding their Bulleids yet.

Yes, it's a good job that Hornby's Bulleids are reasonably priced, relatively speaking, as three 

are required to make up a set ( unless you model 1967, when the survivors ran as loose vehicles ).

I hope these coaches sell well, and encourage Hornby to produce more SR prototypes.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, trevor7598 said:

Yes, it's a good job that Hornby's Bulleids are reasonably priced, relatively speaking, as three 

are required to make up a set ( unless you model 1967, when the survivors ran as loose vehicles ).

I hope these coaches sell well, and encourage Hornby to produce more SR prototypes.

A "Nondescript" brake perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 00:34, Big James said:

looks like the BR versions are now in coming soon to. 

Big James 

These coaches are now back on the Hornby "Coming soon" page, i.e. should be on the boat but there is a strange mixture of items being delivered it would seem.  The four Brakes are in BR(S) livery whilst the two Composites are in SR livery.  Can't think many people will be happy with this.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I have no issue with your reasoning, so getting Bachmann to get their 64’ (actually 63’6”) into production would be good. But this is the Hornby thread, and Hornby will not be doing the longer vehicles, period. 

63' - 6" Over Body Corners......64' - 6" Over Body Ends, same as BR Std. Mk.1s, to be precise and/or pedantic.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

"Off the Beaten Track?"

As the 59 footers were generally associated with the Western Section (ex LSWR) routes, this poorly scanned picture of a 3 set shortie on a Central Section working in the early 60's (at Ashurst) might give some credence to those wishing to extend their range of operation in model form - when they become available. 

image1_1558255351689.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

For the members’ info, here’s another (sorry, poorly scanned photo of a set on the Central Section (Heathfield). (NB the exact “H” is modelled by Hornby)

.... and finally a set on the Western Section.

AF01706B-B908-40F6-8B10-FEBD83D2A3A4.jpeg

4B13A7C8-9B50-4A2C-9BB2-FCA21B96A315.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Right Away said:

For the members’ info, here’s another (sorry, poorly scanned photo of a set on the Central Section (Heathfield). (NB the exact “H” is modelled by Hornby)

.... and finally a set on the Western Section.

According to David Gould's "Bulleid's S.R. Steam Passenger Stock" sets 973-979 were transferred in 1961 to the Central Section for Oxted Line, Reading-Tonbridge, and Brighton-Horsham services. Starting in 1962 4 sets were extended to 8 coaches by the addition of 4 Maunsell seconds and a 64' Bulleid composite. 3 further sets were strengthened similarly in 1963. So there's plenty of scope for mixing these coaches with others. Plus these 8-coach sets were also used on through services to other regions so there's scope for non-SR layouts too....

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:28, trevor7598 said:

An excellent suggestion!.  And restriction 1 too, we haven't had any of these in RTR yet.

While we're at it, perhaps a Restriction 0 set... or maybe some Ironclads even - according to SEMG's Coach Set database, four brake seconds, four seconds and a couple of FKs made it to 1963 on Special Traffic sets 432 and 433. The RCTS has a photo of SK 747 at Solihull in 1961.

We can but dream...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chuffed 1 said:

While we're at it, perhaps a Restriction 0 set... or maybe some Ironclads even - according to SEMG's Coach Set database, four brake seconds, four seconds and a couple of FKs made it to 1963 on Special Traffic sets 432 and 433. The RCTS has a photo of SK 747 at Solihull in 1961.

We can but dream...

......... and a reminder- considering photo 1 above - that an R.T.R. U1 would be nice ..............

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

......... and a reminder- considering photo 1 above - that an R.T.R. U1 would be nice ..............

Oh yes, a "three-valver", come on Bachmann, hot cakes wouldn't stand a chance!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, the 2 cylinder Moguls had a neater looking appearance. However, I would risk suggesting the blunt front end and inclined cylinders (necessities brought about in order to house the inside engine of the U1/N1 classes) would make a very interesting distinction in model form. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Right Away said:

Agreed, the 2 cylinder Moguls had a neater looking appearance. However, I would risk suggesting the blunt front end and inclined cylinders (necessities brought about in order to house the inside engine of the U1/N1 classes) would make a very interesting distinction in model form. 

Oddly those features were adopted in order to fit conjugated gear to drive the inside cylinder on the prototype N1 & K1 - but weren't strictly necessary when a third set of Walschaert's gear was fitted to the 'production' machines.