Hornby - New tooling - LSWR Warner brake 'new van'

Andy Y

Hornby have announced a new tooling for the Diagram 1543 'new van'.

Warner brake.JPG

R6911 LSWR, 20T 'New Van' Goods Brake Van, 9646 - Era 2 Due Date: Sep-19    RRP: £24.99

R6911A LSWR, 20T 'New Van' Goods Brake Van, 5359 - Era 2 Due Date: Sep-19    RRP: £24.99

R6913 SR, 24T Diag. 1543 Goods Brake Van, 55062 - Era 3 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £24.99

R6913A SR, 24T Diag. 1543 Goods Brake Van, 55009 - Era 3 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £24.99

R6915 BR, 24T Diag. 1543 Goods Brake Van, S55040 - Era 4 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £24.99

R6915A BR, 24T Diag. 1543 Goods Brake Van, S55032 - Era 4 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £24.99

3D printed samples were shown in Dec 2018.

New van.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-173.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Odd that there was no speculation that the 'Brighton' brake was long overdue an update* ............. that'll have to wait for another day but I'll have one of these - thanks - and consign the Jidenco kit to the scrap bin !

* Just spotted that it HAS been updated ..... it's THE '2019' wagon !

Edited by Wickham Green

How does this Version of the LSWR brake van differ from that being produced by Kernow?

The Kernow one is a rather older design, with outside framing - see this image:

SR_%28ex-LSWR%29_brake_van_54885_and_LNE

The Kernow van is also a "Road Van" - that is, it is effectively a goods van which has a guard's compartment, which would be used for carrying small parcels which wouldn't justify a whole van, the guard dropping them off as the goods train travelled along the line. The Hornby one is purely a guard's brake van.

[image is CC, from Wikimedia Commons, by Geof Sheppard]

• Like 2

Wait for the inevitable comments that it's too modern.  ;)

Built between 1915 and 1921 if anyone is wondering.

Jason

Well, since you ask... :P Granted, my layout's 1900-1910, but still... one of these might appear as a placeholder while waiting for me to either build or buy a Panter van...

• Like 1

Wait for the inevitable comments that it's too modern.  ;)

Built between 1915 and 1921 if anyone is wondering.

Jason

Curious that they've chosen this diagram instead of the similar 1549 built for the ROD and brought second-hand by a number of pre-grouping companies and the Met.

Curious that they've chosen this diagram instead of the similar 1549 built for the ROD and brought second-hand by a number of pre-grouping companies and the Met.

Not that similar ! - sort of a cross between this and the Road Van announced by others ................ apart from the 2'' width difference between the ROD and 'domestic' version ( they'd get stick if they ignored it ) there were, inevitably, as many different versions as owners - but it'd be a nice van for certain. ( must dig out my D.& S kit before someone DOES produce it RTR

• RMweb Gold

Diagram 1549 was a Road Van, effectively a larger, modernised version of the one Kernow are planning, rather than a full Goods Brake van. There is a current kit available, from Smallbrook Studio, I think. 

The 24T "New Van" picked out by Hornby will be very welcome.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Anyone know how long they lasted in BR service?

Withdrawal of the type from service commenced in 1957 and by 1961 just two remained, 55006 and 55037, lasting until 1962 and 1963 respectively. Some examples made it to departmental and internal use, with 55072 being noted at Gorton, Manchester in 1950 and 55025 being noted at Andover Junction between February 1958 and January 1961 as 080673.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I can't deny it looks good, but I would have thought an SECR one would make more sense. Then they would be able to issue a train pack featuring the P Class, the SECR 3 Plank and a matching brakevan. I do think Hornby have missed a trick there.

Hornby don't make a P Class. That's Hatton's.

The only SECR locomotive Hornby make is a passenger engine. Obviously not including the Terrier.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Good point! I suppose they could have done a pack with the SECR Terrier though, elementary seeing as they've done an LSWR one. I wonder if they're planning an LSWR freight locomotive of some description?

I think the LSWR bought a terrier at one point too so it's still a possibility for the future.

The Adams Radial was a maid of all work in LSWR days when it was retired to branch lines and was used on freight trains. The LSWR Terrier does not look out of place on a freight train.

Unfortunately the 700 looked different from the Hornby model in LSWR days so it would need more than LSWR lettering.