Hornby - New tooling - LSWR Warner brake 'new van'

Andy Y

On the Hornby Website the LSWR and Southern versions do appear to be the wrong colour. Not LSWR/Southern wagon brown.

Similar to the multiple runs of the 2+2 planked van which also sported large lettering which having been built post 1936 they never carried.

RB  

49 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

On the Hornby Website the LSWR and Southern versions do appear to be the wrong colour. Not LSWR/Southern wagon brown.

Similar to the multiple runs of the 2+2 planked van which also sported large lettering which having been built post 1936 they never carried.

RB  

The pics on the Hornby site are still of the livery sample models. Rails has a pic of R6913, a SR van, which confirms the fault on the production models:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37361/Hornby-r6913-oo-gauge-sr-ex-lswr-20t-diag-1543-goods-brake-van-no-55062

An unhappy Martin

:senile:

One year to the day from Andy York's announcement my SR, 24T Diag. 1543 Goods Brake Van, 55062 - Era 3  was delivered to my door within 2 minutes of the stated delivery time.

I'm no expert, but yes it does look a very light brown, especially when compared to the Bachmann Pill Box.

Would be interesting to hear how Hornby came to decide on that shade of brown.

Won't stop it being run on Pine Road this Sat. though.

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but it comes with a set of metal Route restriction metal overlays.

IMG_6883.jpg.0d0b96172c8c449ab0155d4011cf81ed.jpgIMG_6885.jpg.25ad4603716e33f28e2f42f983c5407d.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope the BR one will be finished in the correct shade of grey. :angel:

Should find out by New Year, as I've just received notification that my order, along with one for an LMS van, has been processed today.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling

1 hour ago, Yankee said:

One year to the day from Andy York's announcement my SR, 24T Diag. 1543 Goods Brake Van, 55062 - Era 3  was delivered to my door within 2 minutes of the stated delivery time.

I'm no expert, but yes it does look a very light brown, especially when compared to the Bachmann Pill Box.

Would be interesting to hear how Hornby came to decide on that shade of brown.

Won't stop it being run on Pine Road this Sat. though.

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but it comes with a set of metal Route restriction metal overlays.

IMG_6883.jpg.0d0b96172c8c449ab0155d4011cf81ed.jpgIMG_6885.jpg.25ad4603716e33f28e2f42f983c5407d.jpg

I can only assume that the tail is wagging the dog! Hornby seem to be at the mercy of their Chinese factory. I am sure that they and their researchers know that this is wrong. For 25 quid a wagon, I do expect the body colour to be something like the correct shade!

• Agree 2

Looks like someone has misinterpreted pre 1936 Southern livery as being freight stone rather that freight brown; the only change that took place in the mid 1930s  was the shrinkage of the lettering; freight stone was used to distinguish insulated, refrigerated, ventilated meat and banana wagons. Surely the colour wase approved by Hornby and it seems they have equally got them wrong on the LSWR examples (the SR wagon livery simply being a continuation of that used by the LSWR).

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Which is :rolleyes:   So many colour photos for them to choose from Seriously, what period of time?

Paul

Sorry, couldn't find the emoji for "ironic" following all the (justified) gripes about the shade of caramel brown on the SR & LSWR versions.

I'm wholly relaxed about BR grey wagons, they all get weathered to what I think looks right (lighter or darker) anyway....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

Hornby probably gives an RA about getting the color wrong on the SR/LSWR versions. Collectors will buy them anyway and purists (like me) will buy them and paint and reletter them to get an accurate post 1936 Diag. 1543 brake van. I can appreciate that they made the model at all. I was going to have to paint the Cambrian kit (which was never made) anyway.  

But then this is why the old Hornby Engine Shed was valuable in stopping incorrect liveries sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The picture shows an LSWR van at Corfe Castle station today.  It looks like the sides and roof of the van were much darker than those on the Hornby goods brake van.  The station shop thought that people would still buy them as most customers were not around in the early 1900s and did not know anything about LSWR van liveries. I have not been able to find out the correct colour for the van roof but if it followed coach livery it would have been white, which quickly turned cream and then dirty brown.

004.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

The picture shows an LSWR van at Corfe Castle station today.  It looks like the sides and roof of the van were much darker than those on the Hornby goods brake van.  The station shop thought that people would still buy them as most customers were not around in the early 1900s and did not know anything about LSWR van liveries. I have not been able to find out the correct colour for the van roof but if it followed coach livery it would have been white, which quickly turned cream and then dirty brown.

004.JPG

This Diagram 1410 van is available as a very nice 4 mm. kit from Cambrian. I have built a couple of them but painted in a dark SR Service Brown and small SR for post 1936 SR livery. 

• Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Precision have this as LSWR/SR Freight Wagon Brown https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/precisionrailway/bigfour/sr/14p91 in contrast to the special wagon SR Freight Stone https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/precisionrailway/bigfour/sr/14p92 which is what Hornby mistakenly seem to have used

The Freight Stone is far lighter than the colour Hornby have used.

It's the colour of the Meat Van here.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/10814-more-wagons-mainly-sr-vans/

Jason

• Agree 3

According to the colour chart in appendix 4 of HMRS Livery Register no. 3 LSWR and Southern published by the Historical Model Railway Society there were two colours that the SR used for painting insulated and refrigerator vans. There was the pinkish buff shade used by Phoenix paints and in the blog entry and a tan colour. I have not received my model yet so I do not know if the tan colour is the same shade. For repainting a model I wonder if it would be best to buy a BR version and repaint it in LSWR/SR goods brown as we would not need to remove the LSWR/SR lettering. I wonder who will be the first to repaint one and display a picture here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

According to the colour chart in appendix 4 of HMRS Livery Register no. 3 LSWR and Southern published by the Historical Model Railway Society there were two colours that the SR used for painting insulated and refrigerator vans. There was the pinkish buff shade used by Phoenix paints and in the blog entry and a tan colour. I have not received my model yet so I do not know if the tan colour is the same shade. For repainting a model I wonder if it would be best to buy a BR version and repaint it in LSWR/SR goods brown as we would not need to remove the LSWR/SR lettering. I wonder who will be the first to repaint one and display a picture here.

I think it best to pick the version with the lettering you want. Just flatten the surface with a fibreglass brush to give a key for repainting and don't worry if some of the lettering remains.

It won't matter if some shows through your new paint as it will be where you want to put new transfers anyway. Indeed, it could make it easier to get the new ones on straight. 

Hopefully, the model will come apart far enough and easily enough to paint the interior of the veranda without undue contortions using a sawn off paintbrush.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Looking at the latest Rails email where they are next to each other, it seems to me that they've painted them the same colour as the BR version of the LMS brake vans. Which is BR/LMS Bauxite.

Scroll down here to see what I mean.

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2931/new-Hornby-arrivals

I'm thinking someone has messed up at the factory.

Jason

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

55032  is pictured at Brockenhurst in May 1953 if that helps.

I'm surprised Hornby didn't do 55118 which was allocated to the Lyme Regis branch in 1953. 

One for the future maybe? 

Rob 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

Hattons describes the livery for the Hornby LSWR goods brake vans R4911 and R4911A as LSWR bauxite with red ends.  Perhaps the factory painted these in a batch with the ex LMS and LNER bauxite goods brake vans.

The production models appear to be the same colour as the livery samples, so it is the livery samples that were incorrect and no-one at Hornby did anything to remedy it!

Martin