Hornby - New tooling - LSWR Warner brake 'new van'

Andy Y

7 hours ago, Jack P said:

Mine has just recently landed on my bench, I'm struggling to get the glazing out, did you find there was any trick to it, or was it just brute force and something sharp?

And for those in the know, should the SR one have a brown solebar?

Yes solebars should be body colour on virtually everything before BR days : exceptions were steel solebars on the LNER and on LMS wagons built at Wolverton from sometime during WW2.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jack P said:

Mine has just recently landed on my bench, I'm struggling to get the glazing out, did you find there was any trick to it, or was it just brute force and something sharp?

And for those in the know, should the SR one have a brown solebar?

I used a scalpel with 10a blade and just kept cutting and pushing until the glue give way. It is quite well fixed but you could see the glue seal breaking.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Picking up again on the colour of the vans during LSWR years, I noticed in the Feb edition of Railway Modeller (page 100) a picture of a brake van painted in colour closer to that of the Hornby colour. In the background is a wagon in the familiar dark brown.  The article is about Semley (P4) and given the pedigree of the layout builders wondered if there are circumstances when a lighter brown was used.  Unfortunately I cant read the writing on the side of the model to see if it had a special use.

I have myself received the four LSWR/SR  brake vans currently available, and whilst the goods brown did weather a bit lighter, the colour of Hornby's vans is definitely bauxite, and the solebars are black - this is LMS livery. Interestingly the latest Bachmann MR brake van in 'late LMS' livery is dark brown with brown solebars!! Have they been made in the same factory and the livery instructions got crossed?! LSW/SR goods brown was darker than the GWR brown used on passenger rated vans, and that is darker than the Hornby vans!!

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Cobbydoc said:

I have myself received the four LSWR/SR  brake vans currently available, and whilst the goods brown did weather a bit lighter, the colour of Hornby's vans is definitely bauxite, and the solebars are black - this is LMS livery. Interestingly the latest Bachmann MR brake van in 'late LMS' livery is dark brown with brown solebars!! Have they been made in the same factory and the livery instructions got crossed?! LSW/SR goods brown was darker than the GWR brown used on passenger rated vans, and that is darker than the Hornby vans!!

Definitely not the same manufacturer as Bachmann’s only manufacturing facility is their parent company Kader and certainly not used by Hornby.

• Agree 1

This livery?

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/27750/Bachmann-38-553a-oo-gauge-midland-20t-brake-van-lms-bauxite-without-duckets-

It's correct for LMS. The lighter and slightly more orangey shade used by BR was based on the LNER interpretation of bauxite.

I do think they possibly got mixed up somewhere along the line with these though.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37347/Hornby-r6909-oo-gauge-br-exlms-d2068-20t-brake-van-no-m731456

Jason

I spend a little tiume over the weekend stripping and repainting my BV. 

49446194681_1996771bb2_h.jpg

Still waiting for the right couplings and transfers, but i'm much happier with the colour. With some careful masking I was able to retain the red ends too.  Were the lamp irons on the body supposed to be picked out in white?

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

15 hours ago, Cobbydoc said:

................... bauxite, and the solebars are black - this is LMS livery. .....................

Black solebars only appeared on the LMS during the war - and only on new-builds from Wolverton. Prior to the BR liveries, black solebars were rarely seen, otherwise, on anything but LNER steel-framed wagons ( this may have started with one of the LNER's predecessors - but steel/iron frames were less common back in them days ).

• 2 weeks later...

Loads of wagons in the background of colour photographs though.

This book is full of them, as is the Colour Rail archive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Four-Colour-1935-50/dp/0906899621

So you can get a vague idea of what the colour should be like as long as you take conditions such as light and fading into consideration.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jack P said:

A couple of hours over the weekend saw transfers finally applied. I'm a big fan of this van, and will definitely pick up another.

49619355786_d07a1e11d4_b.jpg

Now that does look the part.

I would have kept mine had it looked like this in 'plain chocolate' rather than the 'milk chocolate' version I received. As it is, mine went back to Widnes for a refund.

Hoping a subsequent release matches this - well done indeed!

• Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, Opelsi said:

Now that does look the part.

I would have kept mine had it looked like this in 'plain chocolate' rather than the 'milk chocolate' version I received. As it is, mine went back to Widnes for a refund.

Hoping a subsequent release matches this - well done indeed!

My two have now gone down for repainting into pre and post-36 SR liveries.

Sadly I don't trust Hornby to rectify their error with the next lot of examples in SR livery. Hopefully I will be wrong but I just don't see them rectifying it in all honesty :(

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Jack P said:

A couple of hours over the weekend saw transfers finally applied. I'm a big fan of this van, and will definitely pick up another.

49619355786_d07a1e11d4_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Garethp8873 said:

At least Hornby went above and beyond in including the routing placket (?) as a separate item, so that it only requires standard transfers to relivery.

• Agree 3

18 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

Sadly I don't trust Hornby to rectify their error with the next lot of examples in SR livery. Hopefully I will be wrong but I just don't see them rectifying it in all honesty :(

I don’t see it either. If the finish is changed, there will be criticism that the finish doesn’t match the earlier vans, so why go to the expense of changing? Hornby would sell me a couple if the finish were rectified.

• Agree 2

In Tim Rayner's review of the LSWR brake van on page 341 of the April Railway Modeller he said that the colour application is good, with no overspray.

He goes on to say that "the shade of brown Hornby has chosen for the LSWR version is at variance (much too light a brown) with the colour swatch as provided by the HMRS as part of its Southern Style livery 'bible' on the company's rolling stock (see Books, Railway Modeller September 2015)."

Perhaps, in the fullness of time, Hornby will produce the models in the correct shade of brown.

Edited by Robin Brasher
punctuation
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2020 at 21:09, Graham_Muz said:

It’s been noted and passed on (via a different route than I took after I first saw the initial livery samples last October)!

Today's release of The Engine Shed shows that the shade of brown has been revised ahead of future release (though it isn't referred to in the accompanying text)!

image.png.ed66ba1a5fcecb70f613e4aeee6f805f.png

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1