Hornby - New tooling - LSWR Warner brake 'new van'

Andy Y

It is still in bauxite livery on Hornby's pre-order website so perhaps the picture on the website has been darkened using Photoshop. It looks a lot better in dark brown. I wonder if they will ask the factory to paint the solebars dark brown as well.  I will wait until I see one in a shop before buying it.

3 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

perhaps the picture on the website has been darkened using Photoshop. It looks a lot better in dark brown. I wonder if they will ask the factory to paint the solebars dark brown as well.

Perhaps they could just adjust the colour of the solebars in PhotoShop? :jester:

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see that Hornby have reissued the 3-plank dropside wagon in LSWR livery - it bears a moderate resemblance to SR Diagram 1301 though wrong dimensionally and in many details. The body colour is a much better shade of brown, though it appears to be the same colour as the previous GW version, which was a completely spurious livery! They have also persisted with black ironwork...

• RMweb Premium

But the Engineer's Department painted their wagons red oxide, which would be closer to the erroneous colour on these brake vans. Oh the irony.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

On the subject of wagons and liverys, their Madge Brighton wagon just released, they've put it in grey, a little research suggests it should be red... 

Well, since it's unlike the prototype in quite a few other respects, that's hardly worth worrying over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Are Hornby using the same livery "expert" Dapol have used?

I'm not sure we should be criticising the P.O. wagon liveries offered by the model trade - some of which are extremely good - when the rectangular plastic boxes most are applied to bear little resemblance to whatever wagons they purport to be ............... even a manufacturer with a choice of nicely detailed seven- or eight-plank 1923 mineral wagons seems unable to count at times.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I'm not sure we should be criticising the P.O. wagon liveries offered by the model trade - some of which are extremely good - when the rectangular plastic boxes most are applied to bear little resemblance to whatever wagons they purport to be ............... even a manufacturer with a choice of nicely detailed seven- or eight-plank 1923 mineral wagons seems unable to count at times.

I was referencing the basic livery issue rather than the wagon or its accuracy. Hornby seem to got completely cross wired on LSWR/SR wagon liveries and Dapol have a continuous history of blundering with liveries (most recently the OO 73s )  while getting others spot on.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2020 at 17:29, Butler Henderson said:

I was referencing the basic livery issue rather than the wagon or its accuracy. Hornby seem to got completely cross wired on LSWR/SR wagon liveries and Dapol have a continuous history of blundering with liveries (most recently the OO 73s )  while getting others spot on.

When it comes to wagons, all the RTR manufacturers are guilty of beautifully-rendered liveries on wrong or inappropriate wagons; some of them are guilty of accurately models with inappropriate liveries; some both at once; and others, neither at once! 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

To me those look liek stock images from the previous batch. This is the engine shed I was referring to where they show the approval sample near the top. The brown is definitely imprived but previous comments here suggest the solebars should be body colour as well and not black. 

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/east-coast-line-bumper-edition

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No new versions have arrived yet. This is simply Hatton's etc restocking with more from the first batch, which is still in stock at Hornby.

For those who aren't sure this photo shows the colour discrepancy.

25.JPG.baee69150d7f521d966984b0f6d0d38c.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Nile said:

No new versions have arrived yet. This is simply Hatton's etc restocking with more from the first batch, which is still in stock at Hornby.

For those who aren't sure this photo shows the colour discrepancy.

25.JPG.baee69150d7f521d966984b0f6d0d38c.JPG

Is that the LSWR dark brown as supplied, or have you repainted it?

Edited by PrestburyJack

• 2 weeks later...