Hornby - New tooling - LSWR Warner brake 'new van'

Andy Y

On 19/08/2020 at 12:04, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Hornby have the new batch of LSWR / SR brake van in stock, still milk chocolate, but old image, 

when new pictures are updated then we will know if colour is corrected. 

I went on to the Hornby website and posted a mediocre review on account of the colour. My January negative comment Is still there but my August one has not been added. 
Hornby need to get this right. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, barrymx5 said:

I went on to the Hornby website and posted a mediocre review on account of the colour. My January negative comment Is still there but my August one has not been added. 
Hornby need to get this right. 

In Hornby's Engine Shed from 24/04 they showed some photographs of the new batch R6938 and they are speaking of colour corrected, but not clear of they are speaking about the photographs or the model, but they are speaking about note of concerns send to their Development manager.

Here are those photographs , looks to me the colour is corrected, but we will see when they are in the shop for shure.

r6938-ss-_a (1).jpg

r6938-ss-_e (1).jpg

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

If the colour corrected brake vans have the same R... number and the same running number how do we know we are going to get a colour corrected version?

Different catalogue numbers, the original batch were R6911 R6911A LSWR R6913 R6913A  SR large letters. these are R6911B LSWR and R6938 SR small letters.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I wonder if Hornby will produce a colour corrected version of R6944 LSWR 3 plank engineer's department wagon.

How do you correct a fictional livery on a generic wagon... 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Hornby and Hattons websites still show R6911B and R6938 in bauxite livery.  I hope Kernow gets the livery right.

They are just using images from the first batch still. 
I can assure you that Kernow will get the livery correct on their road van... 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

I can assure you that Kernow will get the livery correct on their road van... 

So there are two takeaways from that comment:

1. The road van will have the correct livery
  2. There will be a road van

Excellent, even if I am back in N at the moment.

Oh, and now it's 'our' roadvan, you've crossed the threshold now.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Except I’ve not officially started yet...

Development Manager Elect? Or Development  Manager -in- Waiting. Take your choice!

Either way, great news. 

Edited by barrymx5
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

The R6911B LSWR brake van 10124 is now in stock at Hattons.  The illustration shows it in LSWR bauxite and Hattons describes it as in LSWR bauxite with red ends.  Hattons goes on to say that the product belongs to Era 3 The Big Four - LMS, GWR, LNER and SR 1923 - 1947.

I would wait and see what livery it is in a proper photo. They are still using the catalogue image at present. They normally photograph one when they unpack them.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/513911/hornby_r6911b_lswr_20_ton_brake_van_10124_in_lswr_bauxite_with_red_ends/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• Like 1

On 24/08/2020 at 15:26, Robin Brasher said:

Hornby and Hattons websites still show R6911B and R6938 in bauxite livery.  <snip>

Oh dear, I need to sit down.  Now, R6938 seems to have completely disappeared from the Hattons website!

:senile:

It's back again now in a darker brown

https://www.hattons.co.uk/513909/hornby_r6938_sr_d1543_24_ton_brake_van_sr55052_in_sr_bauxite/stockdetail.aspx

:unknw_mini:

Edited by MartinTrucks
  • Like 1

Unfortunately it looks like Hornby have still not produced the LSWR brake van in the correct colour.  As you can see from my photograph the colour of the R6911B still does not match the colour of their three plank open wagon,  which should be red oxide, or my Bachmann brake van that I painted Precision paints LSWR goods brown or with the colour sample in HMRS Livery Register LSWR and Southern.  It seems to be more of a dark khaki colour rather than a plain chocolate colour. Despite this it is a huge improvement on R6911 in bauxite brown livery.

If Hornby's aim is to sell LSWR brake vans rather than paint them in the correct livery Hornby have done very well because sales of R6911 have been very good.  My local model shop has sold out of them whereas it still has some models in the correct shade of BR grey. Hornby have also succeeded in selling me two LSWR brake vans when I only need one.

I hope that the Kernow LSWR brake van will come out in the correct livery.

P1110188.JPG

P1110189.JPG

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

I preordered R6938 with Rails. Oh yes.

I’m not sure that I can be bothered reordering it elsewhere, now that Kernow’s have resurfaced and have shown good progress. I have a preorder for two of those already. 

Edited by truffy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just for completeness it is worth recording that Hornby have at last started producing SR and LSWR brakevans in the darker, probably correct,  shade of brown. The revised models bear the B suffix in their model number. 

74E98023-9A84-45FA-8B44-094C076CCD7C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Um.. second posting above yours would suggest otherwise.

That particular wagon, being an engineers dept wagon should be in a red oxide or similar colour to the original shade the brake vans were released in! So Hornby didn't do their research again on that wagon. 

I know it's meant to be an accurate livery on a freelance 3 plank body, same as the SECR livery wagon released a year or so back. 

Edited by Pre Grouping fan

On 17/10/2020 at 09:24, Butler Henderson said:

Um.. second posting above yours would suggest otherwise.

That posting suggests to me it is not a Hornby B suffix model. Mine is and was delivered from Gaugemaster last week. Photos below show Hornby model alongside the same brakevan I built and painted several decades back. Colour is almost identical. 

89AE3965-0B6E-44B3-BA69-9958CB358B2B.jpeg

A8C00EC6-D477-416A-804B-361828845363.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby one still looks too chocolatey to me. I've used Precision LSWR freight stock brown on Cambrian's van kit, over Halfords red primer; the colour is much more like your handpainted van - a purple-brown. Mind you, Precision do very occasionally get colours wrong.

• Agree 2