Hornby - New tooling - LSWR Warner brake 'new van'

Andy Y

• 4 months later...

With this LSWR "new" brake van and the SR Bulleid 59' coaches someone at Hornby has been reading my mind's wishlist for almost completing in RTR the rolling stock component of the North Cornwall of my dreams.

Do we even have an annual wishlist poll anymore. I think I am going to have to switch to modeling 1920 in Wick or Thursoe and the Highland line so I can have anguished wishlist dreams again. 

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

• 2 months later...

Evening all, know this is a long shot but I was wondering if anyone could help with this. I’m purchasing one of Hornby’s lswr new vans and the plan is to number it as ‘55072’ as it was based in Manchester for departmental work, and is sort of local for me.

Since the van will be in it’s lswr livery I’m trying to find out what number ‘55072’ would have carried whilst in that livery. If anyone knows I’d be extremely grateful. 

• RMweb Gold

LSWR numbering of the "New Vans" seems to have been pretty much random, which suggests that they inherited the numbers of the old ones they replaced. There is no formula, therefore, for working out the LSWR number from the SR one or vice versa.   

A few examples are quoted in Volume One of An illustrated History of Southern Wagons (OPC) but, unfortunately, your chosen van is not one of them. There is no discernible pattern, not the van bearing the lowest LSWR number receiving the lowest in the SR series, nor even order of age. That probably means they were renumbered in the order they got repainted into SR livery.

However, somebody, somewhere, may well have a full list and the most likely source would be the South Western Circle.  

Failing that, whatever number is on your model (unless it's in the list in the OPC book) is as likely to the one that became 55072 as any other, so I'd suggest leaving well alone until someone who does know points out what it should be. :angel:

John

PS. It occurs that an SR van would only have got into Engineers Dept. work in Manchester well into BR days, so you should really get one in BR livery.

Edited by Dunsignalling
PS
  • Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

LSWR numbering of the "New Vans" seems to have been pretty much random, which suggests that they inherited the numbers of the old ones they replaced. There is no formula, therefore, for working out the LSWR number from the SR one or vice versa.   

A few examples are quoted in Volume One of An illustrated History of Southern Wagons (OPC) but, unfortunately, your chosen van is not one of them. There is no discernible pattern, not the van bearing the lowest LSWR number receiving the lowest in the SR series, nor even order of age. That probably means they were renumbered in the order they got repainted into SR livery.

However, somebody, somewhere, may well have a full list and the most likely source would be the South Western Circle.  

Failing that, whatever number is on your model (unless it's in the list in the OPC book) is as likely to the one that became 55072 as any other, so I'd suggest leaving well alone until someone who does know points out what it should be. :angel:

John

PS. It occurs that an SR van would only have got into Engineers Dept. work in Manchester well into BR days, so you should really get one in BR livery.

Thanks for that appreciate it, I’ll definitely be having a look into that 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

It looks to be a lovely model. very nice interior. However, now that we are starting to get wagons and coaches with tail lamps, isn’t it time that brake vans were so equipped as well?

Really? So how much do you want to pay for them?

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Islesy said:

Really? So how much do you want to pay for them?

A fair question. We all want our stuff as cheap as possible and as good as possible; probably we want them cheaper and better than practical. I notice that the new Hornby LMS and LNWR brake vans have a rounded RRP of £23 and £25 respectively. I’d be prepared to part with an extra £10, perhaps even £15, for a neat job. At least with brake vans, whole trains of them don’t have to be bought.

Hornby has been concentrating recently on producing good stuff at reasonable prices (I expect howls of dissent at that comment) such as its Mk. IIfs and Terriers. One choice we are offered is a Hornby Mk. IIf, done to a decent standard or a more expensive Bachmann one or an even more expensive Bachmann one with many lighting options. For what it’s worth, I have a couple of Spotrail Hornbys which I plan to supplement with Bachmann ones with the lighting options. That is just my approach. If I were Hornby, I would wait to see how the market reacts to the choice offered rather than react to a twit dreaming at his keyboard. It is not lost on me that Hornby seems to have been doing rather well by producing stuff early and undercutting competitors.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

A fair question. We all want our stuff as cheap as possible and as good as possible; probably we want them cheaper and better than practical. I notice that the new Hornby LMS and LNWR brake vans have a rounded RRP of £23 and £25 respectively. I’d be prepared to part with an extra £10, perhaps even £15, for a neat job. At least with brake vans, whole trains of them don’t have to be bought.

Hornby has been concentrating recently on producing good stuff at reasonable prices (I expect howls of dissent at that comment) such as its Mk. IIfs and Terriers. One choice we are offered is a Hornby Mk. IIf, done to a decent standard or a more expensive Bachmann one or an even more expensive Bachmann one with many lighting options. For what it’s worth, I have a couple of Spotrail Hornbys which I plan to supplement with Bachmann ones with the lighting options. That is just my approach. If I were Hornby, I would wait to see how the market reacts to the choice offered rather than react to a twit dreaming at his keyboard. It is not lost on me that Hornby seems to have been doing rather well by producing stuff early and undercutting competitors.

I certainly wouldn't baulk at paying an extra £15 for brake vans with factory-fitted working lights, i.e. tail and side lamps. Conditional upon them not being horribly over-bright, of course....

As you point out, goods brakes aren't something we need great fleets of, and many are difficult to dismantle in order to retro-fit lamps.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

On 28/09/2019 at 14:30, Robin Verth said:

During the early 1960's the pick up freight at Hampton rarely had less than 7 brake vans, 4 at one end and 3 at the other, this went on for some time. It is the reason I have a passion for brake vans.

..... but crucially only one of those vans would have had lamps fitted ................ if anyone wants DCC lamps they'd have to disappear completely when not in use and not just extinguish.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

..... but crucially only one of those vans would have had lamps fitted 

Indeed, a detail lost on the guard of the 02.30 Norwood to Willesden nearly 50 years ago. The signalman at Clapham B sent Stop and Examine to Latchmere Junction, as the 4 spare brakevans were each carrying full sets of lit lamps. Very pretty, no doubt, but!

• Like 2

Would you look at that..

On 28/09/2019 at 05:15, JohnR said:

Only a matter of time before brake vans are DCC ready...

Hattons have just announced they're doing coaches that are 21-pin DCC ready.

• Like 1