Hornby - New tooling - LSWR Warner brake 'new van'

Andy Y

5 hours ago, FelixM said:

In the relevant thread it is said they are 18-pin DCC ready, not 21-pin.

Ah my mistake - I suppose the number of pins aside, my point was more about a release of rolling stock with DCC capacity. 

Apologies for the off topic post.

Edited by Jack P
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, barrymx5 said:

Interestingly on the Hattons coaches the additional cost is only £6 for lighting, which of course requires a DCC decoder. I would willingly pay an additional £6 for lighting in the LSWR brakevan. 

You will only need a decoder if you want to switch them off if not then they will work on both DC & DCC

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 07:18, Right Away said:

New bell code required - "Train passed with many tail lamps"!!

The correct one to use for that would be "Stop and examine".

I once received it for an HST with tail lamps allegedly not lit (they were just dirty) despite the pointy-end of the rear power car giving  reasonable cause for suspecting that the train was complete.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The correct one to use for that would be "Stop and examine".

I once received it for an HST with tail lamps allegedly not lit (they were just dirty) despite the pointy-end of the rear power car giving  reasonable cause for suspecting that the train was complete.

John

Oddly enough, the same signalman at Clapham B that had called out the ridiculous extra brake-vans with lights, fell into a similar trap to the common-sense one you relate. Since 1933, the Brighton Belle had borne a tail-lamp, but circa 1971 it had a refit, which included provision of batteries, so it could now sport red roller-blinds instead. Said chap was not aware of this, sent Stop & Examine to Balham for the down service. On him reporting this to Control, I had to point out that the blinds were now authorised in a Section D Notice item. Collapse of stout party.....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Oddly enough, the same signalman at Clapham B that had called out the ridiculous extra brake-vans with lights, fell into a similar trap to the common-sense one you relate. Since 1933, the Brighton Belle had borne a tail-lamp, but circa 1971 it had a refit, which included provision of batteries, so it could now sport red roller-blinds instead. Said chap was not aware of this, sent Stop & Examine to Balham for the down service. On him reporting this to Control, I had to point out that the blinds were now authorised in a Section D Notice item. Collapse of stout party.....

A bit of background for those not with railway training.

Having too many red lamps, I was taught at Waterloo, was as bad as having none. It indicated someone not doing things properly and, therefore, one could not take it on trust that the rearmost lamp you were looking at had been the rearmost one when the train set out. Also, if the train subsequently became divided, there was a danger that it might go unnoticed if the "new" last vehicle happened to have a lamp on it (i.e. Sods Law was in action).

Correct procedure was to stop the train [1] to obtain confirmation from the guard that his train was complete and [2] get him to remove the superfluous ones to avoid a repeat of the procedure further down the line.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 13/10/2019 at 02:11, Dunsignalling said:

Correct procedure was to stop the train [1] to obtain confirmation from the guard that his train was complete and [2] get him to remove the superfluous ones to avoid a repeat of the procedure further down the line.

John

........... shouldn't [1] be to obtain confirmation that the guard was still attached to his train !!?! .... and then .......

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

It's a bit worrying, they didn't do anything for me at all

I'm looking for a couple in BR grey for the Lamb Regis branch. 

Rob. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Now, there was talk, at one time, of these appearing in 'bauxite' ( gawd 'elp us ) ....... these look to be a very 'Dairy Milk' chocolate brown rather than the 'Bournville' Hornby used for the cattle wagons !

Looks like a molded plastic color rather than painted.

I was going to have to replace the large SR pre-1936 lettering on the two I have pre-ordered anyway so sounds like a full repaint.  The dark brown used on the SR cattle wagons would have been much better.  Cambrian dropped their SR Dia. 1543 kit so this is all that is on offer.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

On 20/11/2019 at 05:45, autocoach said:

Looks like a molded plastic color rather than painted.

I will reserve judgement. Not easy to tell from a photo.  Hopefully we will have a chance to see at Worley and make our own minds up. As I said earlier in this thread, I look forward to comparing with my scratch built decades old effort!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to today's Kernow Models newsletter, they have been advised by Hornby that a significant number of 2019 new releases will arrive before Christmas which includes the LSWR, SR and BR versions of the Warner brake van. The list also includes the LMS brake van types- happy Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 06/12/2019 at 15:32, rembrow said:

According to today's Kernow Models newsletter, they have been advised by Hornby that a significant number of 2019 new releases will arrive before Christmas which includes the LSWR, SR and BR versions of the Warner brake van. The list also includes the LMS brake van types- happy Christmas.

I don't suppose Kernow made any predictions for their own LSWR goods brake which their website still had down for this year last time I looked ?

• Funny 1

17 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

I don't suppose Kernow made any predictions for their own LSWR goods brake which their website still had down for this year last time I looked ?

Sadly not but when it comes, it comes. That is how I am looking at it.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 19/11/2019 at 12:26, Wickham Green said:

Now, there was talk, at one time, of these appearing in 'bauxite' ( gawd 'elp us ) ....... these look to be a very 'Dairy Milk' chocolate brown rather than the 'Bournville' Hornby used for the cattle wagons !

In the past I had presumed that the 'Dairy Milk' brown which appeared on various SR wagons from Hornby and Dapol was the result of the 'near enough' practices prevalent in the 1980s and earlier when it came to models.

Given that Hornbys excellent SR cattle vans did come out in the darker 'Bournville' brown (except for the wagon floor which was curiously of the 'Dairy Milk' variety) then one would hope that if the SR did indeed apply the lighter brown to these brake vans and Hornby have the evidence to prove it.

Perhaps one of our resident SR experts can help us out - because as it stands I agree the lighter brown is a mistake.

Edited by phil-b259

8 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

In the past I had presumed that the 'Dairy Milk' brown which appeared on various SR wagons from Hornby and Dapol was the result of the 'near enough' practices prevalent in the 1980s and earlier when it came to models.

Given that Hornbys excellent SR cattle vans did come out in the darker 'Bournville' brown (except for the wagon floor which was curiously of the 'Dairy Milk' variety) then one would hope that the SR did indeed apply the lighter brown to these brake vans and Hornby have the evidence to prove it.

Perhaps one of our resident SR experts can help us out - because as it stands I agree the lighter brown is a mistake.

The SR wagon livery was derived directly from that of the LSWR, being dark chocolate brown with brake vans having blood red ends. This is confirmed by the colour lithograph sheet(s) produced by MERCO (Model Exhibition Railway Company) circa 1933 (photo attached).

The initial Hornby coloured CADs intimates that they intended to produce the SR versions of the van in dark chocolate brown, one assumes as per their superb SR cattle wagons.

As regards Hornby's livery sample of R6913A, SR 55009 in pre-1937 SR livery; this appears to be based on a black-and-white photo of the van taken in August 1937 by E.L.Scaife which appears on page 63 of volume one of 'An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons'. The photo is taken in bright sunshine and the brown may appear to be slightly pale. I did wonder momentarily whether it might be a representation of SR Engineer's red oxide, but of course 55009 is in traffic livery, so I now wonder whether some bright spark has attempted to obtain the 'correct' shade of SR brown by colorizing the photo and has cocked it up!

I will doubtless buy at least one of these Hornby vans, but may put it off if my chocolate is not the right colour! 

BTW, I do not consider myself to be an expert on the subject. I have been involved in the preservation and restoration of SR wagons for 40 years and have learned much from many people (most of them on the old British Rail) but every day is still a school day!

Photo0340.jpg

Edited by MartinTrucks
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

13 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

........... Hornbys excellent SR cattle vans did come out in the darker 'Bournville' brown (except for the wagon floor which was curiously of the 'Dairy Milk' variety) .........................

Like the floor/interior of the vast majority of wagons this would have been unpainted wood as any paint applied would soon disappear ......... the exception, presumably, would be the Bulleid window pressings used to line the ends of his cattle wagons.

b51.09j.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I've never ordered anything from the Hornby site before, but seeing these were available and a promise of delivery before Xmas, I relented and ordered a R6913 SR, 24T Diag. 1543 Goods Brake Van, 55062 - Era 3.so I could run it on Pine Road for the Wimborne RS Open Day on Sat 28th.  

DPD delivery due this afternoon so will be running it on Sat. to probably replace the Pill Box on the daily Pine Road Pick up freight.

IMG_6662 (2).jpg

Edited by Yankee
  • Like 1