Hornby - New tooling - LSWR Warner brake 'new van'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

My BR grey example arrived this morning.

Superb but for NEM mounts so floppy that the coupling tails actually hang below rail-top level. That should make negotiating point-work entertaining:diablo_mini:.

Unfortunately, it seems that Hornby have acquired a copy of The NEM Standard According to Bachmann. Those will be going in the bin to be replaced with proper Kadees (#146) on this one and S&W on the one I'll inevitably be getting for my mate when he sees how nice most of it is.

I've also spotted that both axle-guard tie-bars are a bit wonky on mine. It's not terribly obvious with the van on the track but they'll get replaced in metal when I haven't got anything more pressing to do.

John

EDIT: Just finished fitting Kadees to the van. Though not in the way I initially planned,

I've managed to retain the NEM mounts having got rid of the droop by filing down the mounting spigots then refitting them. I took them down sufficiently to make the mount rigid then backed the screw off just enough to restore sideways flexibility. 

The pockets are now at the correct height and I've used #18 Kadees, which give my usual 4mm gap to the next vehicle's buffers. If you have train-set corners and/or want to propel over reverse curves, #19s will be a better idea. 

J

Edited by Dunsignalling
Addition
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Does anyone know what the location wording is on the two BR grey examples are?

Or conversely, does anyone know where S55032 and S55040 were allocated in the early 50s?

It's the NOT TO WORK BETWEEN TONBRIDE AND WEST ST LEONARDS VIA BATTLE plates.

They were banned from working that line due to the duckets which were out of gauge for the tunnels.

Jason

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 18:06, Yankee said:

One year to the day from Andy York's announcement my SR, 24T Diag. 1543 Goods Brake Van, 55062 - Era 3  was delivered to my door within 2 minutes of the stated delivery time.

I'm no expert, but yes it does look a very light brown, especially when compared to the Bachmann Pill Box.

Would be interesting to hear how Hornby came to decide on that shade of brown.

Won't stop it being run on Pine Road this Sat. though.

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but it comes with a set of metal Route restriction metal overlays.

IMG_6883.jpg.0d0b96172c8c449ab0155d4011cf81ed.jpg

Exactly the same as the metal plates provided with the SR version.

• Thanks 1

According to the Hornby 2019 catalogue 55006 and 55037 were not withdrawn until 1962 and 1963 respectively. It also references 55072 being noted at Gorton in departmental use in 1950(? do they mean 1960?) . Just ordered 55032 from Gaugemaster - same price as everywhere else and free postage so effectively making it £4 cheaper.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

According to the Hornby 2019 catalogue 55006 and 55037 were not withdrawn until 1962 and 1963 respectively. It also references 55072 being noted at Gorton in departmental use in 1950(? do they mean 1960?) . Just ordered 55032 from Gaugemaster - same price as everywhere else and free postage so effectively making it £4 cheaper.

If that's true about the one being based at Gorton it's just about feasible that's it was used with their R&R 45 Ton brakedown crane as that was there until 61. The crest on the model crane would be wrong but would it have been changed to the late crest being departmental Stock?

Helps me planning a brakedown train so match the new Bachmann crane if its true. 

12 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Thanks for info about gaugemaster free postage, forgotten about that, now ordered an lswr one, looking forward to seeing it running round layout behind my green Adams radial.

Edited by railroadbill
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, russ p said:

Did they ever leave the southern, and if so when did they get withdrawn? 

Looks like a lovely model and was wondering if the would have got to the ER 67/68

Pic here at Toton according to caption (undated)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, SRyan said:

Looking at the photo in the link below, taken around New Milton and dated 1961, I’m reasonably convinced that the brake van in this pick up goods is the model produced by Hornby, which would corroborate with John’s dates above

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billsboy/6880299196/

Doesn't look like it to me, the duckets on the one in the photo don't extend as high or low as on the LSWR van. Possibly an ex-LNER type.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not LNER with those footsteps, they had continuous running boards. 

Could be an LMS Midland style van with duckets similar to the one made by Bachmann.

Jason

Having found my elusive magnifying glass, I tend to agree.

John

It looks like the ex LSWR break van the number looks to start with an S but to be confusing Southern brake van numbers all began with 5, it appears to have the board noting " Not to work between Battle and Hastings via Tonbridge", I have not seen these on a non SR van.

During the 1950's and early 60's the freight trains on the Shepperton branch had at one time most varieties of ex LSWR & SR brake vans plus a number of ex LMS & LNER designs, I  do not recall any of them having the restriction board, though I could have missed it, at one time the pick up goods train would have seven SR design brake Van's four at one end with three at the other one was still in SR brown with red ends  I do not know if it was an early BR repaint using SR colours or a late SR repaint, but by 1960 the brown paint had faded to a very pale milky brown far lighter than the colour Hornby have used.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Robin Verth said:

It looks like the ex LSWR break van the number looks to start with an S but to be confusing Southern brake van numbers all began with 5, it appears to have the board noting " Not to work between Battle and Hastings via Tonbridge", I have not seen these on a non SR van.

During the 1950's and early 60's the freight trains on the Shepperton branch had at one time most varieties of ex LSWR & SR brake vans plus a number of ex LMS & LNER designs, I  do not recall any of them having the restriction board, though I could have missed it, at one time the pick up goods train would have seven SR design brake Van's four at one end with three at the other one was still in SR brown with red ends  I do not know if it was an early BR repaint using SR colours or a late SR repaint, but by 1960 the brown paint had faded to a very pale milky brown far lighter than the colour Hornby have used.

I presume you are referring to the Toton photo above? That's definitely one of these vans, and interesting evidence that they could turn up some way from Southern Region metals.

The black ducket is an interesting livery variation, does it (and the extreme shortness of the train) signify that the van is in departmental use, perhaps?

The angle/distance of the van in the U-hauled goods shot (linked in the earlier post) is such that the number, if visible at all, would not be legible. It could be one of a number of types, but not that under discussion, so far as I can make out.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I presume you are referring to the Toton photo above? That's definitely one of these vans, and interesting evidence that they could turn up some way from Southern Region metals.

The black ducket is an interesting livery variation, does it (and the extreme shortness of the train) signify that the van is in departmental use, perhaps?

The angle/distance of the van in the U-hauled goods shot (linked in the earlier post) is such that the number, if visible at all, would not be legible. It could be one of a number of types, but not that under discussion, so far as I can make out.

John

With regards to the colour of the ducket, I would venture that it's not so much black but perhaps rusty. The general condition of the van suggests neglect so this might be quite possible. 

Handy photo for reference and I will be weathering mine in due course. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1