Hornby - New tooling - LMS 20T brake van

Andy Y

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lord and Butler have them.........sort of....failed delivery today, hoping for a further attempt tomorrow. 

Rob

Hmmmm, paint job looks a bit "heavy," those lamp irons will be off as will those veranda safety rails.

The handrails look too thick or is that paint again? Mind, I am being a picky ..

The model looks pretty good, some purchasing pends...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My two BR livery vans have turned up quite nice wagons but those handrails are very flimsy plastic!  If You touch them there out of shape or look at them. Their not hard to straighten but I can see it being a pain. 

and it wasn’t me they turned up like it i sorted one for now the other is still in it’s box unopened and needs straightening 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, farren said:

My two BR livery vans have turned up quite nice wagons but those handrails are very flimsy plastic!  If You touch them there out of shape or look at them. Their not hard to straighten but I can see it being a pain. 

and it wasn’t me they turned up like it i sorted one for now the other is still in it’s box unopened and needs straightening 

Picked an LMS grey version up from Signal Box at Anstey yesterday and agree with you about the plastic handrails which for me are one of the weaker elements of the model- the material used is OK for the shorter handrails, but less so for the long lower rail on the bodyside- On mine, one side is fairly nice and straight, the other has a distinct bow upwards.

Apart from that (and maybe the moulded veranda safety rails which aren't a massive step forward from the old ex-Airfix tooling), it'll do for me- a nice job and I'm sure I'll be adding some more to my wagon fleet.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Did they all have this ribbing behind the end plating? (see photo below) 

The springs on the one in Porcy's photo look heavier duty than Hornby's - do I remember correctly that some had fewer leaves on the springs? 

Unlike the one in Porcy's photo, some had the diagonal rivets, didn't they?  

20191222_142409_resized.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Did they all have this ribbing behind the end plating? (see photo below) 

Every phot I've seen (and I've seen/got a few) they did. More blunt blades to come. At least the ribbing can hide cabling.

Afix-HbyLMRBrake026_29Comb-EditSm.jpg.61611338853206c3064297be2f123d86.jpg

The springs on the one in Porcy's photo look heavier duty than Hornby's

You've got me scratching my head on that. At least Justin at Rumney does some replacements.

Unlike the one in Porcy's photo, some had the diagonal rivets, didn't they?  

Originally coach bolts then stoppered. As you say overtime bolt heads appeared.As ever it's work off a photo for your given time period.

Hallelujah for Mr Franks's buffers and they still haven't got the glass in the lookout correct. (both versions). I think I'm talking myself round to saving forty quid.

... and a few pics to be going on with.

16149605712_170de11478_h.jpgClass 9F 92018 Piddington Station by Tony, on Flickr

34244915123_66b73e9b91_b.jpgDBR11-035 by Jamerail, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/9TK8DF

https://flic.kr/p/28bTumh

I'm also a bit surprised at Hornby using three hole disks as they have solids in their inventory.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Spawling pistalks.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

To be fair, you have to do a fair bit on the Connoisseur kit

He was not a happy man when informed his kits have the planking in the wrong place.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Waveydavey said:

Anybody managed to fit a set of P4 wheels in yet?

If not could someone measure the space between the W irons please.

Hopefully getting one or two at bure valley tomorrow 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Do they now!

Don't think so. The planks were set too high so the error was noticeable in the areas arrowed. This was then exaggerated by the planking not matching the prototypes alignment with the horizontal handrails. I've not yet come across a photo of a van in revenue service or preservation that matches that of the Connoisseur Kit but that is not to say that one doesn't exist.

370595494_LMRBrakeVanVerandahHandleDetails.jpg.1ea5f1e31c552fb678a72014709aa4c0.jpg

The pic of the 7mm model on the Connoisseur Kits website still shows the planking too high. Mr Turners pic is good for comparison.

https://flic.kr/p/23P8uZF

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Don't think so. The planks were set too high so the error was noticeable in the areas arrowed. This was then exaggerated by the planking not matching the prototypes alignment with the horizontal handrails. I've not yet come across a photo of a van in revenue service or preservation that matches that of the Connoisseur Kit but that is not to say that one doesn't exist.

The pic of the 7mm model on the Connoisseur Kits website still shows the planking too high. Mr Turners pic is good for comparison.

https://flic.kr/p/23P8uZF

P

Yes, I had a look at mine and I saw immediately what you meant - had never noticed it. 

Yes, the buffers on the fitted version should have wooden packers to make them 1'81/2'' to go with the screw couplings.

LMS van ballast box.jpg

I was always going to do some cast brake hangers for these Airfix vans.

Dave.1410271042_LMSguardsvanbuffers.JPG.2235807dbd2e5aec610b575472d43586.JPG

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 9