Hornby - New tooling - LMS 20T brake van

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
On 25/12/2019 at 19:05, Porcy Mane said:

Oh how I'm missing that lable clip. 

7145151931_7e4abedc21_3k.jpgBrake Van at Middleton Top by John Evans, on Flickr

The label clip is prolly there, but underneath the paint!

Why do some manufacturers feel the need to dip models and not spray them?

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing the width between the axle guards will be the same as on other Hornby wagons, so wheel-swaps should be "business-as-usual". The P4 mob will probably have to move the brake shoes, but they presumably get plenty of practice at that. 

Doubtless, the day after I finish adding the veranda-end bracing from bits of microstrip, some kind soul will offer an etch to do the job in one go...:)

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The label clip is prolly there, but underneath the paint!

Why do some manufacturers feel the need to dip models and not spray them?

Mike.

???

It is possible to get a much thinner coat by dipping rather than spraying.

The motor trade is rather good at it.

After a lot of problems initially.

Blame the user if you must but not the process.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Both BR versions left in my local emporium had obviously warped horizontal handrails unfortunately. Didnt affect the LMS grey versions. 

Other way round with the ones I saw today 

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Blimey, that got there quickly;):o

Quite. It will  be in the Edington area next weekend........proper S&D territory. 

Rob. 

20191229_215943-01-01.jpeg

• Like 10

On 26/12/2019 at 10:37, Waveydavey said:

Anybody managed to fit a set of P4 wheels in yet?

If not could someone measure the space between the W irons please.

I've just converted mine to EM. Wheelsets dropped in first time, no slop on the pinpoints so Ive not bothered drilling out for new top hat bearings for the time being. Only a little interference from the brake blocks which was cured by shaving off a slight sliver of plastic off the back of them. Hornby for once seem to have located the brake shoes not far off their proper position.

Clearance between the inside of the W iron mouldings is a midges dick over 23mm, unfortunately my micrometer is out of batteries so had to use my guessing stick.

Edited by Persephone
  • Like 4

Following dropping new wheelsets in to EM Gauge as mentioned above, Ive been doing a spot of work on the new Hornby Stanier brake van. A few things irked me about it, not least the moulded verandah guard rails and the moulded lamp irons.

Armed only with a Swann Morton 10a blade I carefully scored out the infill between the guard rail and the stanchion to reveal fresh air. All 4 have been left down. The lamp irons were scraped off and replaced by some folded up 1mm brass shim. The NEM pickets were unscrewed and discarded and the mounting block hacked back level with the bottom of the sub frame to accommodate Spratt and Winkle couplings. All at nil extra cost, but I do suspect I will be getting some pain off Mr Franks to replace the buffers with the correct packed version. The part of my ancestry that is Scottish however has long taught me the value of short arms and deep pockets though Dave ;-)

The whole thing then went into the paint shop for a quick airbrush with frame dirt and rust followed by some dirty wash which was wiped off with a soft cloth before a final application of weathering powders.

Shame its got to wait till next month to make its debut on North Ballachulish at Model Rail Scotland at the SECC Glasgow. And no doubt a badgering to buy some packed buffers.

BV 1.jpg

BV 3.jpg

BV 2.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Persephone said:

Following dropping new wheelsets in to EM Gauge as mentioned above, Ive been doing a spot of work on the new Hornby Stanier brake van. A few things irked me about it, not least the moulded verandah guard rails and the moulded lamp irons.

Armed only with a Swann Morton 10a blade I carefully scored out the infill between the guard rail and the stanchion to reveal fresh air. All 4 have been left down. The lamp irons were scraped off and replaced by some folded up 1mm brass shim. The NEM pickets were unscrewed and discarded and the mounting block hacked back level with the bottom of the sub frame to accommodate Spratt and Winkle couplings. All at nil extra cost, but I do suspect I will be getting some pain off Mr Franks to replace the buffers with the correct packed version. The part of my ancestry that is Scottish however has long taught me the value of short arms and deep pockets though Dave ;-)

The whole thing then went into the paint shop for a quick airbrush with frame dirt and rust followed by some dirty wash which was wiped off with a soft cloth before a final application of weathering powders.

Shame its got to wait till next month to make its debut on North Ballachulish at Model Rail Scotland at the SECC Glasgow. And no doubt a badgering to buy some packed buffers.

BV 1.jpg

BV 3.jpg

BV 2.jpg

Lovely work but dare I mention that warped lower grab rail? 

5 hours ago, Persephone said:

BV 1.jpg

BV 3.jpg

BV 2.jpg

Me badger you????    Never Andy, I mean you're 3 inches taller and about six stone heavier but I'll bring a pack with me to Glasgow next month just in case.

See ya.

Dave Franks.

On 25/12/2019 at 22:59, Porcy Mane said:

He was not a happy man when informed his kits have the planking in the wrong place.

A journey down memory lane....

Prototype for everything corner...with planks in the wrong place...

• Like 1

Whay-heyyyy. M731736. Mr. Becareful will be able to number his PMK now. Question is; what was the planking like on the other side?

Accident repair???? and why is it so far away from Duddeston?

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Axlebox said:

Prototype for everything corner...with planks in the wrong place...

Intriguing! 

A restoration job on the Brechin Railway here - maybe they used Jim's model as a guide? 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/515758/torched-brechin-railway-brake-van-ready-to-roll-from-the-ashes/

2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

A restoration job on the Brechin Railway

M732538

Can't make out the original planking arrangement here:

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=7575

M732535 had normal (standard?) planking

Tin roof can't be good for condensation in winter.

44287951431_75fd2d876b_b.jpg732538 - Bridge of Dun, Caledonian Railway - 18th August 2018 by Steve Blick, on Flickr 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

M732538

Can't make out the original planking arrangement here:

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=7575

M732535 had normal (standard?) planking

Tin roof can't be good for condensation in winter.

44287951431_75fd2d876b_b.jpg732538 - Bridge of Dun, Caledonian Railway - 18th August 2018 by Steve Blick, on Flickr 

Not sure that handrail bend's authentic .......... it's not like any of the Hornby models I've seen !

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 19:09, farren said:

My two BR livery vans have turned up quite nice wagons but those handrails are very flimsy plastic!  If You touch them there out of shape or look at them. Their not hard to straighten but I can see it being a pain. 

and it wasn’t me they turned up like it i sorted one for now the other is still in it’s box unopened and needs straightening 

Don't see how to straiten them without gluing them to the sides, any recommendations

how to fix the problem maybe to slightly heat and stretch them as well.

Edited by paul 27