Hornby - New tooling - LMS 20T brake van

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I just bent mine straight, looked much better after woulds they seemed to just stay were yo put them. Just make sure when you pick them up next not  to touch them little blighters 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finished the detailing on mine today - an Xmas pressy from James, came ready weathered!

Buffers from Lanarkshire Models

Screw coupling from Accurascale

Tail lamp (working) from Express models

Side lamps (should be working but darned if I can get that right!) from DCC Concepts

Lamp irons from Silver Tay Models

Just need to touch up paintwork then its final weathering....

003E2662-66CC-415C-BEF4-AC1A4B9CB498.jpeg

10B6D8B4-7977-47D6-B044-BA5E0BC943CD.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Add pictures
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/12/2019 at 10:37, Waveydavey said:

Anybody managed to fit a set of P4 wheels in yet?

If not could someone measure the space between the W irons please.

I know you've been supplied the dimensions Dave, but for what it is worth here are a couple of photos of mine.  It rolls quite happily with a straight wheel swap.   The brake shoes clip into slots, so I am widening the slots to reseat them - the other option would be to remove part of the brake moulding so they sit flat on the base.

20200220_193211.jpg.9552c071cc3f2a4ca9b67dfbc304fd59.jpg

20200220_194514.jpg.02cc3db5a78a7bbe508d78823e292c42.jpg

20200220_194538.jpg.483766a47e5f6c5242e011cc151307a7.jpg

The floor clips out of the body too, so easy to add a guard etc.

One thing I have noticed is that the choice of number for R6909A looks to be wrong.  According to 'The acquired wagons of British Railways, volume 1' by David Larkin M731792 was built unfitted (page 77) and also appears in the list of those vans 'never vacuum piped' on p81. R6909 was also built unfitted, but isnt in the latter list so was presumably fitted in the mid 1950s.

For EM gauge, I added pieces of 30thou Plastikard in the floor slots and butted the brake mouldings against those after removing their tabs - overall length locates them nicely  - finished off with Comet yokes in 0.5mm holes ......thicker Plastikard might be necessary in P4 - but, with thinner wheels, maybe not much thicker.

Beware if fitting Lanarkshire buffers ! - the bases are a little over size  and need trimming to fit between the body's corner stanchions.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

what is the plastic they have used and does it cut/carve easily?

Succumbs easily when under the knife, chassis bonds readily with mek. Hornby looks to have used some type of cyano  (as per their norm) to bond the acrylic interior bits/ducket to the sides.

Edited by Porcy Mane
Add missing letters.

15 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Succumbs easily when under the knife, chassis bonds readily with mek. Hornby looks to have used some type of cyano  (as per their norm) to bond the acrylic interior bits/ducket to the sides.

Thanks, I may get two just for the chassis to make the torpedo spacer wagons, as they need a little carving to expose the chassis members!

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2020 at 12:46, Jub45565 said:

I know you've been supplied the dimensions Dave, but for what it is worth here are a couple of photos of mine.  It rolls quite happily with a straight wheel swap.   The brake shoes clip into slots, so I am widening the slots to reseat them - the other option would be to remove part of the brake moulding so they sit flat on the base.

20200220_193211.jpg.9552c071cc3f2a4ca9b67dfbc304fd59.jpg

20200220_194514.jpg.02cc3db5a78a7bbe508d78823e292c42.jpg

20200220_194538.jpg.483766a47e5f6c5242e011cc151307a7.jpg

The floor clips out of the body too, so easy to add a guard etc.

One thing I have noticed is that the choice of number for R6909A looks to be wrong.  According to 'The acquired wagons of British Railways, volume 1' by David Larkin M731792 was built unfitted (page 77) and also appears in the list of those vans 'never vacuum piped' on p81. R6909 was also built unfitted, but isnt in the latter list so was presumably fitted in the mid 1950s.

Guard, and benches, desk, stove, lamp brackets, track circuit clips, brake stick, shunting pole, brake standard, drying rail. 

Edited by The Johnster

14 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

I may get two just for the chassis to make the torpedo spacer wagons

Should do admirably. The centre is hollow already to accept the weight. Depending on which pair you decide to model, the ends were open exposing all the girder work and brake hangers. B950928 may be a good one to model as the chequer plate extended to about 1 ft. from the ends so not much girder work to model.

36 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Should do admirably. The centre is hollow already to accept the weight. Depending on which pair you decide to model, the ends were open exposing all the girder work and brake hangers. B950928 may be a good one to model as the chequer plate extended to about 1 ft. from the ends so not much girder work to model.

Porcy

I am confused as all the torpedo spacers were rebuilt from LMS vans what was B950928?

Mark

1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

I am confused

Not half as confused as me. (Two phone calls later) Turns out the original photographer wrote the BR brake number  (lot 2136) first on all the transparencies to keep all barriers in the same place in his filing system. Going off the phots of the wagons stored out of use in 1982, there were at least two BR brakes converted to work between Consett and Cargo Fleet along with the LM type. The phots show at least one of the LMS types had deep weights. Copyright doesn't allow me to post.

I think the LMS built vans converted were, M730872, M730885, M730895, , M730959, M731050, M731779.

56 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Not half as confused as me. (Two phone calls later) Turns out the original photographer wrote the BR brake number  (lot 2136) first on all the transparencies to keep all barriers in the same place in his filing system. Going off the phots of the wagons stored out of use in 1982, there were at least two BR brakes converted to work between Consett and Cargo Fleet along with the LM type. The phots show at least one of the LMS types had deep weights. Copyright doesn't allow me to post.

I think the LMS built vans converted were, M730872, M730885, M730895, , M730959, M731050, M731779.

There are only the six ex LMS ones shown in the PO registration book at York in the NRM .

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2020 at 22:37, Phil Bullock said:

Finished the detailing on mine today - an Xmas pressy from James, came ready weathered!

Buffers from Lanarkshire Models

Screw coupling from Accurascale

Tail lamp (working) from Express models

Side lamps (should be working but darned if I can get that right!) from DCC Concepts

Lamp irons from Silver Tay Models

Just need to touch up paintwork then its final weathering....

Hi Phil

I have a couple of Stanier brakes to improve. Do Silver Tay Models have a web site or is it order through Ebay only? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2020 at 16:55, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Phil

I have a couple of Stanier brakes to improve. Do Silver Tay Models have a web site or is it order through Ebay only? Thanks

Hi.

Just working back through unread posts on “watched” threads(!). Just in case you are still looking for Silver Tay Models, a google search shows they trade on EBay.  I am also pretty sure that they were at the Perth model railway exhibition last year, in case you attend that, although maybe unlikely to be on in with current situation.

• Thanks 1