Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

So what’s in it for me ?

I’m going to order the Caledonian class 87 and class 92 (I’ve given up on the DJ one).

The blue 31 will join my fleet, it will become 31418 Bodicea when it does (a rare skinhead 31/4 that lived its end on Manchester club trains before expiring and retiring in Wigan before being preserved).

Ruston 48DS is nice, there was a blue one at Morden milk close to me, and Tranfsers are available for dinky toys on ebay.

I think at least another will join it.

I’ve really enough W4’s but Daphne could join, the B2 definitely fills a gap! - I think it will be Sherwood, could be 2.

I’m glad I paused on ordering the Rails Terrier, and the Dapol 51xx, I wasn’t initially sure, I’ve definitely got something to think about now...

35022 will be on the list for sure, the Princess was a gap in my collection, the older model I didn’t like, so I’d imagine I’m up for a couple of these.

Still digesting it, what I didn’t see was an Intercity DVT, but the sliding doors mk3’s means we will probably see Chiltern trains mk3’s at some point. Additionally the door remains open to DRS Cumbrian coast stock, which maybe Bachman’s bag.

I see several have been rested this year: Bulleid Rebuilt (wc/bb/mn), no King or Castle, much of the railroad steam (not a bad thing) has there ever been a year without an 08/Jinty before ?, no class 50, No expansion of the Sound van concept ? No clan ? A definite focus on relevance to a younger audience in Railroad, If I was the 15-20 year old I was, i’d be smiling this year.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Well, that's the waiting over then!

Polite enquiries/questions/constructive suggestions regarding individual items/liveries will be answered via DM.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Hornby Researcher

Constructive comments regarding newly announced Hornby items are most welcome, but correspondence should be via the messaging facility please and any responses should remain private.

​Unless indicated otherwise, any opinions expressed are entirely my own and do not necessarily reflect current Hornby policy.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Lots of nice stuff in there, particularly the Large Prairie and GWR coaches.

Doubt the people at Dapol are particularly happy today though!

That does not take into account the probability that Hornby have had this under development a bit longer than Dapol.....before the now well publicised announcement of their version in fact.Despite some rather obvious clues,some of us have chosen to dismiss the possibility that this would happen.Similar situations have occurred before in fact.Hornby have kept a tight ship and now we’ll see who’s first past the post.

For the modern image modeller there's a lot of crappy duplication on old tooling as in the 47's, 66's & 92's.

If Hornby think they can take sales away from Hatton's, Bachmann & DJ Models by offering sub standard rubbish with new liveries then good luck to them.

Hornby should have least attempted to do a newly tooled Class 37 or 47.

• RMweb Gold

I am aware of that but if you want a single LSWR brake van and a single rake of Southern Bulleid coaches some people are going to buy the ones that come out first. I did not predict that Hornby would be producing these and I am pleased that they are.

As a keen Southern (Region) fan, I'm going to want all of them.  

Interesting that the common guesses of various medium SR locos fell by the wayside.  Opportunities for Bachmann, or even Dapol as a follow up to the excellent B4? Wonder if their Prairie is too far on to cancel in favour of one of them....

Love the industrials, LMS brake van etc. too.

John

• RMweb Gold

Lots of nice stuff in there, particularly the Large Prairie and GWR coaches.

Doubt the people at Dapol are particularly happy today though!

I doubt the Dapol prairie will appear now - unless they change it to another version (and get it right unlike that abysmal CAD view they published).  Hornby look to be doing an excellent job on theirs.  Good to see the original GWR clerestories back as they'll make some nice departmental vehicles for modellers of later years,

Hornby certainly give the impression of going hard into 2019 for model railways with soem b very attractive items across a whole range of tastes and interests and i sincerely hope they can deliver it and not start cancelling items off part way through the year.  The Class 66 does at least show some marketing inspiration on their part - not exactly 'head-to-head' but snatching a lower price point against the new model from Hattons, definitely the answer to the 'I want a Class 66 but can't afford that one' conundrum.  it will be interesting to see if it works as a marketing idea?

I do however wonder about the trainsets? If that's all of them then it is a much tighter range but going by what one sees on shop shelves just how big is the market now?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a keen Southern (Region) fan, I'm going to want all of them.  

Interesting that the common guesses of various medium SR locos fell by the wayside.  Opportunities for Bachmann, or even Dapol as a follow up to the excellent B4? Wonder if their Prairie is too far on to cancel in favour of one of them....

Love the industrials, LMS brake van etc. too.

John

Still Qing John?  :secret:

Phil

For the modern image modeller there's a lot of crappy duplication on old tooling as in the 47's, 66's & 92's.

If Hornby think they can take sales away from Hatton's, Bachmann & DJ Models by offering sub standard rubbish with new liveries then good luck to them.

Someone’s spat the dummy.......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's a comprehensive-looking list.

Nice work Andy, it must have been a bit difficult sitting on that lot.

I thought the team had deleted some of my posts. Either I'm paranoid, or I was close!

Happy modelling,

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 2

A box van equipped with sound? Interesting... hmmmmm. I wonder what sound it will make?

New Peckett 0-6-0 and the Ruston look great, but if I'm having the Ruston it certainly won't be wired up to that shunter's truck for long (edit - the truck is apparently, plug and play, so happy days). 

The experimental purple A4 is nice, when did Bittern run with two tenders? 

Edited by Grasslands

That does not take into account the probability that Hornby have had this under development a bit longer than Dapol.....before the now well publicised announcement of their version in fact.Despite some rather obvious clues,some of us have chosen to dismiss the possibility that this would happen.Similar situations have occurred before in fact.Hornby have kept a tight ship and now we’ll see who’s first past the post.

Yeah that's true and fair play to Hornby as it looks like they will beat Dapol to market for both the A1 and the Prairie.  The latter does look better than the Dapol version to my eyes but I'm looking forward to Miss Prism inspecting it.

What were the clues with regard to Hornby developing the Terrier as I completely missed them?

That's a bit harsh matey.

I wouldn't say they were sub standard rubbish. Granted they are not the same standard as Bachmann's locos, or newer Hatton's 66's or Accurascale Deltic, but neither are they as expensive.

They might be just what somebody on a budget needs.

They are also probably what the company needs - sales

I do agree with you that a newly tooled all singing all dancing class 37 from Hornby would be great.

• Like 2

A box van equipped with sound? Interesting... hmmmmm. I wonder what sound it will make?

New Peckett 0-6-0 and the Ruston look great, but if I'm having the Ruston it certainly won't be wired up to that shunter's truck for long. 

The experimental purple A4 is nice, when did Bittern run with two tenders? 

The TTS Vent van is already available

• Like 1

I disagree.

Old tooling for 47 & 66 does not bring them into direct competition with Hattons & Bachmann. They are lower priced so should appeal to a different market. Not everyone want to pay a fortune for a highly detailed model, so they still have a choice.

Bachmann already do nicely detailed 37s & 47s. Why would Hornby re-tool to compete with these when they can work on something different?

• Like 2

Fab, a skinhead Class 31/1.

R3608 HST power cars lists 43001 and 43002. Please correct me if I am wrong here but AFAIK 43001 never existed in this form?

No, there was no production power car 43001. 002 was the first.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby will be Ian - provided they can get the stuff from the factory, my first pre-order is already in for one although it will be useful to know what's coming livery wise on the different versions.  

The Hornby large prairie has been under development 'for some time' (as the EPs show) and much to my joy it has survived any revised marketing thoughts coming from the new regime.  And unlike the utterly abysmal Dapol effort it actually not only looks like a large prairie, with consistent detail for type, but also looks to be very accurate.  I wonder if Dapol will (or already have?) drop theirs now this has finally been announced - the Dapol CAD required an enormous amount of work (ideally start again from scratch) to get it right and since the original announcement they seem to have concentrated on getting the mogul sorted.  I doubt they'd be really prepared to take on a decent Hornby large prairie to modern standards (or they'd be daft if they did).