Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Backed the right stable but the wrong horses for 2019,  I forecast nothing 100% new in mainline diesel,  predicted models from the same stable as the Peckett and Sentinel,  the Ruston 48DS a complete outsider which I never even considered

The Class 31 - I think is the first time a BR Blue 'skinhead' version is available in pristine condition, previous issues being weathered.

I stand to be corrected if wrong.

On my list for purchases will be:  31102 - D5509 - BR Blue CCT - BR (ex LSWR) Brake Van - Q6 TTS Chip - RH Shunter.

There my be further temptations I cannot resist.

Sad not to see some additional restaurant cars / LMS Stanier P3's / Jubilee or Coronation full new sets.

Thanks Andy and Thanks Hornby!

• Like 1

Well could be a expensive year for me.

Bittern looks tempting, so will the Large Prairie as well. But more importantly Mark 2Fs for my 68 to pull (Will see what Bachmann announce though) The Scotrail HST GTI power cars and coaches as well. The USA Scotsman would have been a yes, if it wasn't the 'bling' version.

Lets see what Bachmann announce now, but then to Hamburg in March for 30th, so that will likely be expensive if get to a model shop.

Chris

Am I right in thinking there is a Terrier missing from the summary headline on this feed?

edit - oh, apparently the Terrier was a surprise to everyone! sympathies to Andy Y and friends for last minute extra work

Edited by Grasslands

The one potential misstep I can see are the 66's, I think that is a strange move and in doing 9(?) different liveries, unless they are in limited quantities, will take up valuable production space for other models.  

Yes agreed, just don't see the point and can't imagine the market being big enough for these to sell in large enough quantities to get a a decent return.

For example the Hornby BR Blue LL 66 is only £50 less than the vastly superior Hatton's version, to me that price difference isn't enough unlike the others priced at £74.99 which I suppose would sway those on a tight budget or the few buying for their kids.

Really pleased to see the Class 60 in DBS red after a very long wait.

Not too keen on having to pay for a TTS unit when there’s the attraction of some other fantastic 3rd party sounds out there. But it’s doable and maybe Rails might be persuaded to sell one minus TTS - something I think they’ve done with other models in the past (??)

Bigger issue is plonking a name on the side!! If it’s seriously fixed, then hiding things after removal might be problematic on such a large flat featureless area.

Unfortunately, leaving the purchaser to fix (or not) the plates presents positioning difficulties in this instance - so that won’t happen.

So .............. just hoping there will be a solution presented. Been waiting too long for a red one!

I agree about being forced to have TTS. I would prefer to choose a decoder & sound project.

If the printing is anything like last year's InterCity 87, the name & number will come off easily with some T cut on a cotton bud.

Yes agreed, just don't see the point and can't imagine the market being big enough for these to sell in large enough quantities to get a a decent return.

For example the Hornby BR Blue LL 66 is only £50 less than the vastly superior Hatton's version, to me that price difference isn't enough unlike the others priced at £74.99 which I suppose would sway those on a tight budget or the few buying for their kids.

Ah, but is that £50 RRP, or £50 at the shop counter? We all know that the Hornby 66's will be discounted from RRP, so will the gap grow?

Lol you call that spitting the dummy, far from it but just telling it how it is.

Hornby not introducing a newly tooled modern image diesel or electric locomotive is quite disappointing but hey if they don't have the stomach for it someone else will just come along and do it, no skin off my nose.

Erm. Can you name a "modern image diesel locomotive" which has not yet been announced / produced RTR in OO ?

The Fell and 10800 are the only mainline diesels I can think of, unless you add the two gas turbines to the list, and and maybe the class 74 to be pernickety.

I do however note that Hornby's green Brush type 2 for 2019 is once again a "skinhead". Why the aversion to producing a bog standard green headcoded class 31 for all the transition era modellers ?    

Edited by Covkid

I'd just say remember the market they are in . And actually for many of us the 47s are just fine . If you want the full blown highly detailed 66 go Hattons , If you want a trainset version that you might have difficulty telling the difference on from 3 feet away, then go Hornby . You now have a choice . I'm assuming the Hornby ones are about half the price.  It does look to me that Hornby are trying to reinvigorate the starter end of the market . Haven't read through it all yet but it looks good to me and I think they've been paying attention DB Red Class 60, Banger Blue 31s .   Scotrail HSTs  woo hoo .   Well done red team , looks like you are trying to deliver in a challenging market .

IMO I think the Class 37 & 47 are now due for a re-tool and has been widely discussed on other threads but as I've said before someone else will just come along and do it.

It would have been really good if Hornby announced at least 1 major modern image locomotive re-tool instead of none, just feel it's a missed opportunity.

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't seen them in Andy's post

Yeah I missed them too, although I did think if they were producing the coaches then the Power Cars must be there somewhere .  Its a no brainer for me . I want them, the only issue being £289 for two power cars , ouch!

• Like 1

Erm. Can you name a "modern image diesel locomotive" which has not yet been announced / produced RTR in OO ?

The Fell and 10800 are the only mainline diesels I can think of, unless you add the two gas turbines to the list, and and maybe the class 74 to be pernickety.

I do however note that Hornby's green Brush type 2 for 2019 is once again a "skinhead". Why the aversion to producing a bog standard green headcoded class 31 for all the transition era modellers ?    

I'm only interested in modern image post 2010 thus to me either a 37 or 47 would have been a great opportunity for Hornby to re-tool and make some serious money considering both classes have over a 50 year era span including today.

• RMweb Premium

IMO I think the Class 37 & 47 are now due for a re-tool and has been widely discussed on other threads but as I've said before someone else will just come along and do it.

It would have been really good if Hornby announced at least 1 major modern image locomotive re-tool instead of none, just feel it's a missed opportunity.

I see where you are coming from, but I think you have to remember where the company is financially . A retooled 37 or 47 would need to be so WOW  that it blew the socks off the opposition , and actually I don't see much wrong with the Bachmann ones , so would people have bought it in numbers that it required to make profit ?  Not sure .  Whereas the existing 47 is very definitely budget range, but good enough for me!

Prairies are low hanging fruit . People will buy them if they are of a standard like the recent J36 as long as they bring them to market before Dapol and Kernow, so financially that's a winner.   Bullied coaching stock and GWR suburban stock , well people have been asking for them, so again should make financial sense . Immediate cash cows!

The Class 66 might be regarded as duplication, but I don't think it really is . Its going for the lower cost end of the market . Interesting there are so many liveries . Probably a direct reaction to Hattons marketing.  Again tapping into the lower end of the market , and these items should have very little development costs , having been bought when they acquired Lima , cost probably already written off. So again maximizing existing tooling . Low cost should have high return.

The more I look at the range , the more I'm impressed . Just the cost of some high end items bringing tears to the eyes !

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

Some interesting thinking at Hornby.

1. The Peckett went down well. Instead of giving them more versions of the same tooling, let’s give them a different Peckett.

2. We should defend our patch. Let’s get re-tooled Terriers and Large Prairies out.

3. On the subject of Large Prairies, let’s do suitable coaches. [There isn’t enough of this style of joined up thinking around. Nicely done, Hornby!]

4. There are new 66s and 92s mooted. The interest is there but a lot of people will hesitate at the prices and perhaps get impatient at the delays. Let’s knock out our old Railroad stuff in a goodly number of liveries and scoop up the cash-straitened and impatient people.

5. The-Company-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named has knocked out Mk. IIfs at premium prices. Let’s see if we can’t do some undercutting.
  • Like 7

Guest teacupteacup

I'm only interested in modern image post 2010 thus to me either a 37 or 47 would have been a great opportunity for Hornby to re-tool and make some serious money considering both classes have over a 50 year era span including today.

Maybe the cost of tooling for the vast amount of differences there are in both classes would take too long to recoup going by their financial situation?

It makes sense reissuing older models in more liveries, quick return for a lower outlay. Get the books balanced then go for the more complex models.