Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Hornby 2019 very nice lots of things to buy my wallet crying already. Only few more things i would have liked and that is class 86 newly tooled, class 91 retool, drs coaches, dvt intercity maybe 2020 for theses unless there some more stuff to come late in the year. but over all its an improvement on previous years.

Heljan announced a retool of their 86 unless that's the wrong subclass for you

• RMweb Premium

While no  absolute stand out 'must haves' for me,  there's a few things which I dare say will come into my collection. Thinking ScotRail Mk2F's and ScotRail HST.

What I will say though, is that this is a proper announcement and well executed. A total contrast and significant improvement on that embarrassment they put out last summer with all the froth & hype over '19 new products'.

Well done Team Red and to Andy & co for getting everything up om RMWeb.

Don’t think anybody has clocked that the skale autos Ford Anglia looks like the Harry Potter one? Maybe not marketed as it to avoid additional licensing costs but probably won’t go unnoticed by kids!

Goes well with the Hogsmeade stuff.

Edited by ianmacc

• RMweb Premium

A few further thoughts.

I wonder, not that its any of our business, if any/much of today's announcement is connected to the Oxford involvement? Oxford have a factory, they seem in the diecast world to be fairly price conscious, so maybe Hornby are benefiting. Perhaps on a working basis the relationship goes back further than we thought, Oxford being a manufacturing contractor for Hornby. OK there is some duplication between the ranges, but maybe things were too far advanced for either to stop, before both parties completely saw the benefits of working together. We'll probably never know...

Thinking about the 66s, are they actually the modern day equivalent of the bright and cheerful liveries on the various 0-4-0 bodies, albeit modelled on actual locos? True, they are not at the same price point, but then they are bigger. The question then is, what do they haul? Is junior (or perhaps not so junior) happy with a random selection of wagons? Do coaches fit the bill, for that market? Whatever it is that appeals to the intended market, I hope they sell well and put money in Hornby's bank account so that we all can gain in the future.

• Like 3

Don’t think anybody has clocked that the skale autos Ford Anglia looks like the Harry Potter one? Maybe not marketed as it to avoid additional licensing costs but probably won’t go unnoticed by kids!

Oh, yes.  Note the catalogue number, R7237, which is part of the R7230-7239 series of numbers for the Hogsmeade structures.

• RMweb Gold

A standard Anglia colour scheme, previously produced by Oxford Diecast (Ref: 76.105.007) who will no doubt be making these anyway.

It'll just need a copious application of rust and grot to turn it into the Harry Potter one.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

i am a little excited with these announcements.

I'm kicking myself though, I've recently got the Bachmann GBRF 66 "Evening Star" @£140.00
But I will get the GBRF Large Logo blue 66, and I might see about a small rake of Mk2Fs to go with it.

I really like the look of the Ruston 48DS, but I'm wondering about the match truck.

All in all a very interesting set of releases from Hornby.

Now can we see a similar range of OO/1:76 scale vehicles from Oxford and Corgi??

Anyone know if the Rustons have a front pocket for the power line? Wondering if it'd be possible to couple two of them up together without the match wagon for shunting various stock. Would that be likely to short them out? (Assuming no as they'd be working through the same current, but may end up making each other stall or run slower?)

Edited by CrisisOnACanoe

A standard Anglia colour scheme, previously produced by Oxford Diecast (Ref: 76.105.007) who will no doubt be making these anyway.

It'll just need a copious application of rust and grot to turn it into the Harry Potter one.

John

A quick edit to include the part number I see :) saves me looking!

• RMweb Gold

Anyone know if the Rustons have a front pocket for the power line? Wondering if it'd be possible to couple two of them up together without the match wagon for shunting various stock. Would that be likely to short them out?

The description said either end, so one could assume a bus arrangement would be possible, connecting two and a wagon (or maybe skip the wagon ?). We dont know if the wire is a multi terminated (ie a patch cord), or if its terminated one end only, which end is it wired to (the wagon or the loco, I would personally assume the wagon), and if it is the wagon, does that mean the loco carries two male or two female connectors...

One for Hornby.

That's a common Oxford trick, so may well have been carried over by LD.

Oxford have released a number of 'famous' cars in the past, including Morse's Jag and Bond's DB5, both only identifiable as such by close examination of the registration plates and no box art or marketing to that effect.

• Like 1

Bachmann already do nicely detailed 37s & 47s. Why would Hornby re-tool to compete with these when they can work on something different?

Do they? Surely that is a matter of personal opinion?  Very good models for sure, but nowhere near 'definitive' by current standards.

Edited by YesTor

Whilst there's nothing that makes me want to rush down to the model shop, I think it's great to see both the HST and 66s re-established in the Railroad range. The full-size HSTs may be rapidly approaching retirement, but they and the 66s are pretty much staples for anyone modelling the current scene. I've been saying for a long time that Hornby need to make models that youngsters are familiar with, at a price they can afford, and it seems they are listening - I suspect the success of GMRC may have had something to do with this, though it would perhaps have been better had these models come out three months ago (during the series/in the run-up to Christmas).

The pricing of the HST seems a little 'odd' though - two power cars on their own are the same price as the train set with power cars, centre coach, track and controller. I would have thought that if the set retails at £119 then it ought to have been possible to release the power cars at below the psychological £100 barrier, bearing in mind it's effectively a Railroad loco and a 'coach'!

I'm still not sure that the Crosti 9F is really appropriate for the Railroad Range. Not only is it at the top end of Railroad prices, it's not something the majority of people Railroad is aimed at will be familiar with.

I still wonder at the benefit of the interchangeable parts on the Princess. Until now, I didn't realise there were variations between class members (except of course, the Turbomotive - do Hornby have plans for this?) and I'd suspect that the majority of potential purchasers don't either. Of those who do, many would have either turned a blind eye or modified it themselves (or just bought a different identity where the variation isn't a problem). Too many interchangeable parts increases tooling and manufacturing costs which get passed on to the majority of purchasers who aren't really all that bothered about the variations.

Construction 60 that will do nicely indeed thanks Hornby.

Paul

Agreed, I can easily find a home for a few of these, although only if Hornby correct the incorrect triple-grey shades - and looking at the artwork for 60015 it is fairly clear already that the roof is the same too dark/almost black shade from last year's coal sector version.  Fix it Hornby for gawd's sake.

Edited by YesTor

I thought Hornby's range is a pretty good one this year!

Especially:

IET 800 Test Train Coach Pack (I guessed correctly!)

31602 NR Yellow and a couple of coaches to match

GWR HST with 'Legends' motif on the side

Yellow re-railing coaches (OOC)

Interesting to see another Peckett in the range - these are great little locos and seem very popular to modellers and collectors, alike.  Good move!

Also, the Ruston and Hornsby 48DS... very petite!  Hornby doing a Hornsby... how apt?!

Pleased also to see both a DB Schenker and a Construction Sector 60.

Have to admit, I never thought they would do the sliding door Mk3s but fair play.  As these modifications are likely to result in the longevity of the Mk3 on the network for at least the meantime, it's a good move to get tooling in place and keep up with the real world.

I understand why they release one 67 in British Pullman as a stand alone and another in a set but fear it may not maximise sales if buyers want both but do not want to splash out on the rest of the set.

Only when I looked closer did I realise the Northern Belle train pack was actually 57601 as 'Windsor Castle' but the radiator grilles gave it away as their ex-Lima 47...bit naughty but I guess no worse than printed grilles on NR yellow coaches (plus Rule 1, if the joker card is required!!!).

Mk2Fs?  Well, that was half a surprise and half not.  Whether it was Bachmann or Hornby who started their research first, hopefully both will complement each other in the long run.  That said, I do like the idea of Bachmann using DCC in theirs but Hornby may get the better sales with a much lower RRP.

Wildcard - the graffiti laiden CCT van looks quite well represented I feel - better than the milk tank a few years back!

I hope this offering helps Hornby over 2019 at a time when they need a boost, which I hope is the case.

Cheers,

Ixion.

• Like 1

Regarding Class 08's - they don't seem to sell that well - 08623 in DB and 08644 Laira are still available.  Hornby have stated that they don't want to be in the game of discounting stock, so will want older Class 08's, Class 56 & Class 50's to sell out first.

I figure that depends upon which variants they select - original Rail Blue always seems to sell sooner rather than later, as do the umpteen BR Green versions that are out there - you can never have too many Rail Blue 08s surely?  :sungum:   For my money 08644 'Laira' was a little too quirky in the wrong way (current/'pastiche' Rail Blue); and I figure that the DB 08 is perhaps hampered by the fact that's it's only available with TTS - that's the only reason I haven't bothered to purchase the DB version myself - sure I know that the sound can be removed but I guess the initial price tag has discouraged me from hitting the 'Add to cart' button.

Personally I reckon that a Foster Yeoman Class 08 would do pretty well, particularly with the upcoming Dapol 59s and accompanying wagons, and no doubt all the Foster Yeoman-inspired layouts that may follow.  If anything I was expecting that a GWR 08 might have appeared in this year's range, hopefully that may come next year.

Edited by YesTor

Yay for including a eurostar, oh wait it's the decades old inaccurate tooling and still missing most of the coaches..... well, there's goes my interest.

Can't even be bothered to show the right coaches in the coach pack. Suppose my wallet is safe for another year

• Like 1

Thanks for this. I do like some reading material to beat the January blues!

Also in WHSmiths and Tesco. But they never seem to advertise the fact.

They do the same with the Airfix catalogue and magazine if anyone is interested.

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/AF19BUNDLE/Airfix%202019%20Catalogue%20Bundle

Jason

Kestrel your right in that there is not much for us to be happy about. It just gives us the opportunity to explore the kit market. Or allow the wallet to replenish. I would consider the new peckett. However I don't run my smaller peckett or Andrew Barclay very much. The big one for me and I have preordered is the TTS Q6 & B 12 sound it is well down and buried in the announcements but this is a step forward to be able to use the tts sounds. If they also did the J15 I think I would be placing further orders!

Just remember Hornby spread around their development money. Also be aware that some of the models have been in development for years. Andy stated as much in his discussion with Simon Kohler regarding the Terrier. Still hold out for the NER wooden hopper. So now it may be next year.... better get on with the slaters kits I have!

• Like 2