Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

If they are goling to give us a J36 in ROD livery (hopefully corrected from the image in the catalogue) can they not do one for their existing (excellent) J15?  These locos were in France far longer than the J36s and there are plenty of wartime photos of them.  Here is my attempt.

8rqkkEk.jpg

You'd have to convince them to do the (very few) minor tweaks to backdate it to a Y14 first (stovepipe chimney, dished smokebox door if pre-1915, different safety valves and no coal guards on the tender; the lower cab roof having already been catered for previously). I've directly asked a few times now for a GE blue example but have honestly given up hope. Such a shame too; a pre-1923 version could be produced in GER black, blue, grey and ROD colours, as well as catering for the preserved example!

Nice job with yours. I particularly like the weathering!

I see from Simon Kohler's interview in Rly Mod that the clerestories will be the more recent flat-siders. Is that also the case for the Railroad option? If yes disappointing as the older style looked good in teak (I have two) and was hoping they might get re-released sometime too?,

It's the accuracy -v- atmosphere debate again as, personal opinion, the 3D relief (even though overscale) added to the GWR versions too; the newer never look quite right as to my eyes they look like lined out steel stock not a wood panelled and beaded item.

It looks from the photos that the Railroad option are the older style Tri-ang ones with the raised mouldings.

Yes, I understand that. But why have Coronation coaches in the Railroad range if there isn't a Railroad Coronation to pull them?

Probably because there are plenty of people that will put almost anything behind a locomotive as they aren't bothered. If it looks right then that will do and they will pay £60ish for a set of three.

But I doubt you will get many paying £50 for an incorrect coach.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see from Simon Kohler's interview in Rly Mod that the clerestories will be the more recent flat-siders. Is that also the case for the Railroad option? If yes disappointing as the older style looked good in teak (I have two) and was hoping they might get re-released sometime too?,

It's the accuracy -v- atmosphere debate again as, personal opinion, the 3D relief (even though overscale) added to the GWR versions too; the newer never look quite right as to my eyes they look like lined out steel stock not a wood panelled and beaded item.

I managed to have a look at the online catalogue earlier today and can confirm that the railroad clerestories are the old Triang shorties, originally released in 1962 IIRC to go with Lord of the Isles and on the original incorrect B! bogies; LOTI is also being re-released without any apparent change in the tooling.  The shorty clerestories are in 1934 shirtbutton livery; I have always thought that there would be a market for them in fully lined out late Victorian livery to go properly with LOTI, but they've never been available RTR in this very complicated livery which would be far easier to apply in the factory than we can do as a repaint! 

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at the pictures on page 1 again, I hope the Eurostar add on centre coach pack illustration is a mistake - those are not the divisible centre coaches but end coaches that go next to the power cars, the centre coaches have an extra door/window above the full bogie, not the grille as shown!

• RMweb Premium

Didn’t the pre announcement build up suggest a surprising new development (speculation including everything from o gauge to the introduction of quality control!)

What was it?

Edited by Hal Nail

Didn’t the pre announcement build up suggest a surprising new development (speculation including everything from o gauge to the introduction of quality control!)

What was it?

Quite a bit was surprising....

- The actually announced a new DC analogue controller

- The Terrier was a surprise

- The Ruston 48DS was a surprise

- Having two industrials in one announcement was surprising

- Hornby have listened to customers and announced a large sensible range, that was surprising. Older management couldn't care less. New management has passion in it's core.

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at the pictures on page 1 again, I hope the Eurostar add on centre coach pack illustration is a mistake - those are not the divisible centre coaches but end coaches that go next to the power cars, the centre coaches have an extra door/window above the full bogie, not the grille as shown!

Yeah I couldn’t figure it out , but you are correct. I knew it didn’t look right , in fact it looks pretty stupid with the blue coming down in the middle of the train again . A bit like a wave!

• RMweb Premium

Quite a bit was surprising....

- The actually announced a new DC analogue controller

- The Terrier was a surprise

- The Ruston 48DS was a surprise

- Having two industrials in one announcement was surprising

- Hornby have listened to customers and announced a large sensible range, that was surprising. Older management couldn't care less. New management has passion in it's core.

Particularly given it has a truck with pick-ups and a detachable connection - I don't think that's been done commercially before.

I'd like to know more about the controller. It looks different. According to the catalogue it has a heavier case and an auxiliary output with a CDU. But it doesn't say what it's actually like as a controller. The old Hornby red/black train set controller was actually quite good I believe. The current ones are dreadful and make most locomotives buzz like an angry bee.

Probably because there are plenty of people that will put almost anything behind a locomotive as they aren't bothered. If it looks right then that will do and they will pay £60ish for a set of three.

Jason

If no-one makes any reasonably priced scale Coronation Scot coaches you have not got much choice but to buy Railroad coaches. In the 1970s the only Southern coaches you could buy were generic coaches from Hornby or Graham Farish. With a lot of plastic surgery you could make them look like passable representations of Southern coaches but there was the choice of buying those models, buying a kit that would take about a month to make or running a British Railways layout with Mk1 coaches. Even these were supplied in Southern livery so you had to repaint them. Things have improved for Southern modellers and I hope that one day you will be able to run authentic coaches with the Coronation Scot.

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating:

I see it [the GWR Railcar] shows on their website and it was included in the press day but we were subsequently advised that it would not be in the 2019 range.

Once again from facebook.... and once again I say Hornby at it's best. They're really showing us that they are on the right path. 2019 products already coming into stock (and it's not just the catalogue)

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Photo is a screenshot from KMRC's facebook page.

Edited to add: Showing now as in stock at Kernow. But not in the Hornby web shop.

Edited by Coryton

• Administrators

I asked this at the event. The Railroad models are the old Tri-ang versions with panelled sides. 

• Like 1

Jason

OK, try again. I understand why the coaches are in the Railroad range, but having added them to the range, it seems odd not to have added a Coronation to the Railroad range to pull them. Having coaches in the Railroad range without having a Railroad loco to pull them seems as odd as having the HST power cars and no coaches....

(Though I'll admit it's 70+ years since anyone last saw a full-size blue Coronation so perhaps it's not relevant to the Railroad range).

OK, try again. I understand why the coaches are in the Railroad range, but having added them to the range, it seems odd not to have added a Coronation to the Railroad range to pull them. Having coaches in the Railroad range without having a Railroad loco to pull them seems as odd as having the HST power cars and no coaches....

(Though I'll admit it's 70+ years since anyone last saw a full-size blue Coronation so perhaps it's not relevant to the Railroad range).

Let me try explaining....

The coaches used by Hornby are from the older tooling and they are coaches that feature in the Hornby RAILROAD range from time to time. If Hornby released them under their main range, you'll have a few hundred people questioning Hornby (and rightly so) as to what an older model with absolutely no detail is sitting in the main range when it should logically be in the RAILROAD range.

Hornby do not have the correct tooling to make the Coronation trains and it will not happen for the foreseeable future. It's tool costly to tool up and not worth it. It's far easier to chop up some budget coaches and make a realistic set that to go about chopping up their higher end Stanier coaches.

Secondly why will Hornby add a Princess Coronation locomotive to the range? That's utterly stupid. They've literally just re-tooled the loco, no company in their right mind would do that. With the release of the NEW Princess Coronation there'll be a flood of older ones available second hand. Why would Hornby flood the market with "BRAND NEW OLDER TOOLING" models??? Makes no sense.

Understood?

Sorry folks, but just to clarify;- Are these the old 'shorty' clerestories?

Many thanks,

Ian.

Yes...

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1