Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Without wanting to get too far off topic, it would be good to use the right coaches if available, but then there's be half the people here saying "thank goodness they used the right ones" and the other half saying "why did they do that, the old 2Ds don't match the new 2Es, the detail is poor, why not just use all matching well detailed ones,etc etc"

What actually is the difference between the FO Mk2d and Mk2e? Both have their toilet windows on the same side and both appear to have the same underframe with twin aircon fans (unlike the mk2f). Without being an expert is there anything obviously different between the two types? As far as I can tell (and probably most others) they look exactly the same.

Surely, most people would prefer Hornby to use the newer Mk2e model to represent the two Mk2d coaches in the rake. The old Mk2d tooling is so bad that the two coaches would stand out a mile when coupled to the newer Mk2e. All the coaches are going to be a compromise anyway as they all have oval door windows, unlike the Hornby model.

Also, if there is a difference between the FO Mk2d and Mk2e coaches, could Hornby tweak the Mk2e tooling to accommodate the difference? The image on their website for the R4898 Mk2d coach pack clearly shows the old tooling but with a retooled underframe and bogies, although bizarrely the three coaches they have modelled should all actually be Mk2e anyway!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Also, I wonder if Hornby have concluded that the market for LNER/ER is a bit saturated at the moment. Certainly, I was able to pick up a J15 at well below RRP (over the counter at a model shop, not online from a box-shifter), and there are plenty of them on eBay. That tends to suggest that supply is currently more than adequate to meet demand, and maybe Hornby are waiting until sales of those dry up before releasing more along the same lines.

The LNER (and particularly my own interest, the GE section thereof) has been pretty blessed by Hornby over the last few years, so I'm definitely not complaining when others get their turn. That said, I think you're pressing a false argument here - the market may well be saturated with J15s (not to mention D16s and K1s), but that doesn't mean that it's saturated with LNER items.  I don't want another J15, D16 or K1, but I'd certainly cough up for a J69 or J17. 

Edited by Downer

• RMweb Gold

Oh come along! That can't be true! Even Harry Potter travelled via Kings Cross!

On the Western side of things, we've been very good boys & girls. It's not every day we see a new set of coaches we've been waiting for  20+ years....

Cheers,

Ian.

And don't forget we're even getting an engine to go with them - brilliant joined up thinking there.  (The engine of course also has numerous other uses so an excellent choice.) 

Lionel recently made an 0 gauge coarse scale model of the Hogwarts Express and several people in the Hornby Railway Collectors Association bought the model and repainted it in British Railways Livery. It was much cheaper than models produced by Ace Trains, Darstaed and Hornby 0 Gauge so models like Hornby Railroad do have their uses.

• Like 1

You will be pleased to read that I have now received my Hornby catalogue and February Hornby Magazine from Keys and an apology from WH Smith. WH Smith said that they only set up the Hornby offer in selected stores and not all stores. The matter has now been addressed and rectified and they are sending me a £10 gift card.

I am very pleased with the catalogue which is the best one I have seen and I bought my first catalogue with three weeks' pocket money in 1957.

• Like 3

The LNER (and particularly my own interest, the GE section thereof) has been pretty blessed by Hornby over the last few years, so I'm definitely not complaining when others get their turn. That said, I think you're pressing a false argument here - the market may well be saturated with J15s (not to mention D16s and K1s), but that doesn't mean that it's saturated with LNER items.  I don't want another J15, D16 or K1, but I'd certainly cough up for a J69 or J17. 

A J69 is almost certainly in the pipeline somewhere, it's such a no brainer. It's just when you stand back and look at Hornby's rolling program of releases over the last few years, it appears obvious, to me at least, that the LNER (or parts of it) are sure to be in for some attention in the near future. I be you wouldn't grumble at the thought of a rake of Gresley 51' Great Eastern section coaches.   :no:  

Edited by Dick Turpin

And don't forget we're even getting an engine to go with them - brilliant joined up thinking there. (The engine of course also has numerous other uses so an excellent choice.)

On the loco, my main thought is that they’re charging roughly double the price for which Hattons is offloading the railroad Adderley Halls. Nice margin if you can get it for H! Particularly as I suspect these will be sold through the Warner’s shop on the studio tour.

If they don’t sell, we should be able to pick them up at a good price in due course!

The LNER (and particularly my own interest, the GE section thereof) has been pretty blessed by Hornby over the last few years, so I'm definitely not complaining when others get their turn. That said, I think you're pressing a false argument here - the market may well be saturated with J15s (not to mention D16s and K1s), but that doesn't mean that it's saturated with LNER items. I don't want another J15, D16 or K1, but I'd certainly cough up for a J69 or J17.

Completely agree, the LNER is certainly not saturated on the whole with core engines such as J27,J21,J6, Aspinal 0-6-0 and Stanier 2-6-2T (both west Riding X-over),N5,N1,A5,A8,C12,C14 and B16 in addition to your suggestions still to be produced.

I think what grates is when there is more duplication of GWR (Pairie,King and 0-6-0T) Southern(Terrier and 71) engines. Surely this is causing more saturation, I don't see it as competition but a missed opportunity.

Give me workstained everyday locos any day of the week over one offs and named locos.

No, he's listed the range of coaches and provided the RRP for one coach.

Just looking back, I see it now.

However as the photo showing two clerestory coaches is below the HST twin pack and above the Coronation pack, and the writing in the red panel hasn't reproduced very well, it is slightly misleading...

• RMweb Premium

On the loco, my main thought is that they’re charging roughly double the price for which Hattons is offloading the railroad Adderley Halls. Nice margin if you can get it for H! Particularly as I suspect these will be sold through the Warner’s shop on the studio tour.

If they don’t sell, we should be able to pick them up at a good price in due course!

I wouldn't call that a margin just because one retailer is selling something (for whatever reason) at a bargain price.

• RMweb Gold

FWIW I think Hornby will revisit the LNER next year.

Which LNER are we talking about lol? As a present day modeller, I’m pretty happy except that Hornby should have retooled a Class 91 and Mk IV’s to go with the HST.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in a J69 or J17 as well, especially given that they'd go quite nicely with my J15 (and also with my pair of Rapido J70s that I've got on order). But, realistically, I wouldn't buy one now, even if they were in this year's range - I've spent enough on locos recently, and it would be hard to justify more. But, next year, my budget will have reset, and, assuming I'm still focusing on my Fens-themed layout, they'll fit in quite nicely. Maybe someone at Hornby has been reading my mind  :)

• RMweb Premium

I think as a general rule of thumb, retailers sell for roughly double what the manufacturer sells to them (in order for the retailer to cover their overheads and make a small profit). Hornby have undertaken to protect the dealer network by not selling items on its website cheaper than the shops.

I'll bet there are very few retailers - if any - selling models at double the purchase cost

Cheers,

Mick

I think as a general rule of thumb, retailers sell for roughly double what the manufacturer sells to them (in order for the retailer to cover their overheads and make a small profit). Hornby have undertaken to protect the dealer network by not selling items on its website cheaper than the shops.

Comparing the RRP with Hattons' temporary sale price isn't really comparing the same.

And of course, the Hogwarts loco will have a licensing fee included in its cost, which Adderley doesn't.

Fair points - I still reckon that the Hogwarts version will be giving them a higher margin than the standard version. List price for Adderley Hall was £94.99 I think. A smart way to get more out of the tooling and improve the bottom line. Edited by Clearwater

oesn't.

When I worked for Signal box, we were lucky if the mark up for locos, coaches etc got as high as 15%. I would be hard pressed to think of anything we sold for twice what we brought it for.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And of course, the Hogwarts loco will have a licensing fee included in its cost, which Adderley doesn't.

If Hornby got the Hogwarts stuff on the shelves at the Warner Bros Studio Tour shop in Kings Langley, the price wouldn’t matter within reason. The foreign tourists would buy it as part of the whole Harry Potter experience. I wonder if they sought that as part of the new licensing deal.

Comparing the RRP with Hattons' temporary sale price isn't really comparing the same. 

As a general rule of thumb: Anything you sell that is more than what you paid for it, result! Doubling what you paid for it? Only if you have a  large suitcase on Peckman Market.

Prime example some years ago, I am not up to speed on this as we haven't ordered any for a long time. We used to pay £1.50 for Scalextric slot car braids. Suggested RRP was £1.49. We never discounted them.

• Like 1

If you want an approximation to what the "Hogwarts" tax would amount to, you only have to compare the new "Hogwarts Castle" to "Olton Hall", which is identical apart from the name and the tender branding*:

post-21933-0-37579700-1547304379.jpg

post-21933-0-55736500-1547304394.jpg

Even at list price, Adderly is very competitive with HC as is Rood Ashton for that matter!

( * Oops!  Forgot the Hogwarts Castle headboard, which must push the price up a little...)

Edited by Hroth

If you want an approximation to what the "Hogwarts" tax would amount to, you only have to compare the new "Hogwarts Castle" to "Olton Hall", which is identical apart from the name and the tender branding*:

attachicon.gifR3169 Olton Hall.jpg

attachicon.gifR3804 Hogwarts Castle.jpg

Even at list price, Adderly is very competitive with HC as is Rood Ashton for that matter!

( * Oops!  Forgot the Hogwarts Castle headboard, which must push the price up a little...)

Brings back memories of the Triang, Lord Westwood for those who can remember the anticipation of having to wait for the catalogue to appear to find out the new release/s were!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

I've just seen this thread and am mystified that LNER modellers have been virtually ignored. There's nothing in the new catalogue for me and that means a zero spend on Hornby assets. As I imagine my view may be shared by many ER, LNER etc modellers, this seems like a potential revenue downside for Hornby.

When I go to Hornbys website I find, in stock.. 18 LNER classes...

J15, J36, J39, J50, J83, J94, K1, L1, B1, B12, B17, A1, A3, A4, D16, D49, P2, Q6

Without listing Hornbys entire site, that compares against 7-GWR, 6-LMS, 9-SR

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/locomotives-by-class.html

LNER is somewhat over represented in the current range.

Before coming back saying the A3 and J83 are Railroad, so is the 3f in the LMS list, and county 4-4-0 in GWR.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2