Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Editors of what would strike me as a very relevant question.  

Would it be Editors of national newspapers, websites, or model railway magazines (sorry chaps I didn't intend to be rude), or toy trade magazines, or paid advertisers magazines and retail trade journals, or what?  

I would expect it is editors of toy trade publications - if it means wider publicity for the product then that's no bad thing irrespective of independence or interests.

• Like 1

Actually, a bit more Googling suggests that, rather than a spurious apostrophe, it might simply be a missing opening single quote. At least, that's the assumption made by some retailers when adding it to their websites, and I have to say it's much more plausible that it is merely a typo of that nature than someone really thinking the word needs an apostrophe.

See, for example, https://www.model-junction.co.uk/product/Hornby-r1234-hogwarts-express-train-set/

Isn’t the use of diecast just to get a bit of weight in small locos? I hadn’t seen it as anything other than that .

That will have been the primary reason, and it is used effectively too. Not just more weight, but the point of balance of that weight well centred within the driven wheelbase. So not just for small locos, but also well suited to those with wheel arrangements or other features that make it difficult to achieve enough weight with an ideal centre of balance to deliver the traction the model should have.

There are also visual benefits in my opinion. Very crisp rendition of surface detail and squared off thin edges. (There is a natural  follow on question concerning how long the die casting tools will maintain this.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That will have been the primary reason, and it is used effectively too. Not just more weight, but the point of balance of that weight well centred within the driven wheelbase. So not just for small locos, but also well suited to those with wheel arrangements or other features that make it difficult to achieve enough weight with an ideal centre of balance to deliver the traction the model should have.

There are also visual benefits in my opinion. Very crisp rendition of surface detail and squared off thin edges. (There is a natural  follow on question concerning how long the die casting tools will maintain this.)

I'm not sure die casting gives crisper detail but agree as a material it gives a more convincing rendition of metal than plastic does. Seems obvious now I've written that! Paint also appears to have a deeper lustre on metal than it does on a plastic surface.

Of course Bachmann have been doing this for years.

• Administrators

I would expect it is editors of toy trade publications - if it means wider publicity for the product then that's no bad thing irrespective of independence or interests.

Lots of editors according to the press release:

"Organised by the British Toy and Hobby Association, the awards were voted on by media who attended Toy Fair this week at Olympia London."

It's easy to underestimate the size of the toy industry, and there are many trade publications that support it. The media room was very busy on Tuesday, the in-show TV channel well supplied with products and demonstraiters and the "content creation lounge" next to the Oxford stand fully booked up when I tried to get a slot to do an interview. 

The point is, this raises Hornby's profile amoung the sort of retailers that order by the container load. That's good news for thier cash-flow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Organised by the British Toy and Hobby Association, the awards were voted on by media who attended Toy Fair this week at Olympia London."

It's easy to underestimate the size of the toy industry, and there are many trade publications that support it. The media room was very busy on Tuesday, the in-show TV channel well supplied with products and demonstraiters and the "content creation lounge" next to the Oxford stand fully booked up when I tried to get a slot to do an interview. 

The point is, this raises Hornby's profile amoung the sort of retailers that order by the container load. That's good news for thier cash-flow.

Indeed.

I would imagine that a very small chunk of the toy market is quite large by usual model railway standards. 

I've just seen that Aldi is selling Airfix "quick-build" kits - I wonder what quantities they bought in?

Indeed.

I would imagine that a very small chunk of the toy market is quite large by usual model railway standards. 

I've just seen that Aldi is selling Airfix "quick-build" kits - I wonder what quantities they bought in?

As well as the quick build kits, Aldi also had conventional Airfix starter kits (complete with glue, paint and paintbrush). These included several WW2 1:76 warbirds, a Wileys Jeep, trailer and small howitzer and a tiny ship model of the Cutty Sark, all for for £6.99 each.  The remainders are being sold off for £3.99 at the present.

Not only that, but if some of the children who get the 'toy trains' end up in the hobby as adults, it will help keep Hornby going when the older modellers the main range is aimed at aren't around any more...

• RMweb Gold

Indeed.

At Aldi's, the source would have been more likely an overstocked retailer or the result of a deal interrupted by some problem, such as bankruptcy.  Aldi but this sort of thing oppurtunistically, and 'when it's gone, it's gone'.  

At Aldi's, the source would have been more likely an overstocked retailer or the result of a deal interrupted by some problem, such as bankruptcy.  Aldi but this sort of thing oppurtunistically, and 'when it's gone, it's gone'.

Supposition.

In a previous life I have supplied services (rather than goods admittedly) to Aldi (along with providing services to companies who supply goods to Aldi) and they are into long standing relationships and contracts more than most discount retailers.

• RMweb Premium

I certainly can't say for sure, but that wasn't the impression I got from the person who told me about this.

• RMweb Gold

It's business, I guess.

So, major high street retailer phones up, "can you supply model x range?"

You can bet your bottom dollar everyone would be on the case. May I produce Exhibit A, where the late-lamented Woolies portrayed a great range of Airfix products.

It's only a hop, skip & jump to the day where you can buy bow-ended Collets along with the Bratwurst.

Hornby would give their all to have sales space with either Lidl or Aldi. I could easily see the 'Coke train' that everyone has commented on this week, on sale in you local German oriented food store. At least the bread & milk is fresh!

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

I am a frequent shopper at my local Aldi, and it is one of my main life support systems since a new big one opened only 5 minutes walk away.  If I could buy Colletts there, I doubt I'd ever need to go further than that in one direction and the pub in the other again...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I am a frequent shopper at my local Aldi, and it is one of my main life support systems since a new big one opened only 5 minutes walk away.  If I could buy Colletts there, I doubt I'd ever need to go further than that in one direction and the pub in the other again...

I'm not attacking the Johnster, but a more general comment: So buying from Aldi is OK, but ordering via the internet is killing the local model shops? I remember when the book monopoly was broken and supermarkets started flogging Joan Collins and Dan Brown's latest and 'greatest'. That led to an expectation that all bookshops would disappear, and many did. But some learnt to start selling coffee and cakes and they survived and thrived. My point is that if Aldi do start selling trainsets. EVERY model shop in the area should buy one straight away and build a small layout using it in their store front window adding a few cheap items to show the next step, They might even produce 'added value' packs that include a couple of extra wagons, track to make a passing loop and a cheap loco, or a scenery pack with a few building and some grassflock a bit of road and a few cars. They could offer an parent/adult and child early-evening class where they teach how to build a baseboard, solder, wires, demonstrate dcc. and so on always making sure that video screens show the great model railway challenge in the background. For children, going to their model shop can become a treat that they ask for as 'bonding time'. My model railway project started as a means to have a joint hobby with my three boys, and we had a great time.

I don't get to the UK often, but my recent visits to model shops remind me more of a dark, musty antique book shop than a visit til Waterstones

Edited by Vistisen

• RMweb Premium

I don't get to the UK often, but my recent visits to model shops remind me more of a dark, musty antique book shop than a visit til Waterstones

I can think of a few model shops in the UK that would fit that discription (one in particular), but the majority that I know of really, really, aren't.

• RMweb Premium

Lidl (and many other supermarkets/big retailers) had the usual 50 quid Hornby train sets in the run up to Xmas:-

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/Hornby-train-set-lidl-4999-from-15th-of-november-3099560

..but don't hold your breath for other Hornby items; a vast range of different 50 quid coaches and 150+ quid locos really isn't a viable sales proposition for supermarkets IMHO, nevermind providing aftersales support for these very fragile items. Very different proposition to 2/6d  plastic Spitfires in Woolies or the 'easy build' Airfix kits that do turn up fairly regularly in Lidl and other supermarkets.

• RMweb Gold

Lidl (and many other supermarkets/big retailers) had the usual 50 quid Hornby train sets in the run up to Xmas:-

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/Hornby-train-set-lidl-4999-from-15th-of-november-3099560

..but don't hold your breath for other Hornby items; a vast range of different 50 quid coaches and 150+ quid locos really isn't a viable sales proposition for supermarkets IMHO, nevermind providing aftersales support for these very fragile items. Very different proposition to 2/6d  plastic Spitfires in Woolies or the 'easy build' Airfix kits that do turn up fairly regularly in Lidl and other supermarkets.

What would be the equivalent of the Airfix kits these days? The Parkside kits? 

• RMweb Premium

What would be the equivalent of the Airfix kits these days? The Parkside kits? 

Specifically in terms of railway items then they're probably the nearest equivalent, although I'd say even a Parkside kit requires a bit more manual dexterity than an Airfix kit to build properly i.e. everything square and level. 

Lots of journalist at Toy Fair. There are three trade mags but they get a lot of general and lifestyle journalists plus bloggers and vloggers galore.

This is a excellent coup for Hornby and will help open doors to major accounts.

This deserves a big thumbs up from enthusiasts as more train sets sold means more money for investment in tooling as well as lots of kids who may take the next steps into the hobby.

• Like 1

I'm not attacking the Johnster, but a more general comment: So buying from Aldi is OK, but ordering via the internet is killing the local model shops? I remember when the book monopoly was broken and supermarkets started flogging Joan Collins and Dan Brown's latest and 'greatest'. That led to an expectation that all bookshops would disappear, and many did. But some learnt to start selling coffee and cakes and they survived and thrived. My point is that if Aldi do start selling trainsets. EVERY model shop in the area should buy one straight away and build a small layout using it in their store front window adding a few cheap items to show the next step, They might even produce 'added value' packs that include a couple of extra wagons, track to make a passing loop and a cheap loco, or a scenery pack with a few building and some grassflock a bit of road and a few cars. They could offer an parent/adult and child early-evening class where they teach how to build a baseboard, solder, wires, demonstrate dcc. and so on always making sure that video screens show the great model railway challenge in the background. For children, going to their model shop can become a treat that they ask for as 'bonding time'. My model railway project started as a means to have a joint hobby with my three boys, and we had a great time.

I'm not sure if you have Game Workshop in Denmark, but in UK they sell mainly fantasy combat models like warhammer etc.  Not for me, but they do a range of very good paint and filler etc.  that I've used. Anyway, they have areas in their shops for painting demos, hold fantasy wargames and generally engage with their customers that way. Haven't noticed any display layouts in any of the  "railway" model shops I've visited. Locos in display cases, but nothing running or really showing what could be done to an interested potential newbie.