Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
On 15/06/2019 at 23:10, atom3624 said:

It's a while back but a bit of surfing has found these photos.

I think it's safe to presume the power / dummy cars are the same lengths, so it's obviously the coaches

Upper are the shorties, lower the normal / correct length ones - with red springs.

Curiously, both have 8 windows - I think the shorties' ones were ... well ... shorter.

image.png.f3d931d1e6019a410109490f68d927c3.png

image.png.aa9dfd712e7e7fff7b383cbfbf019371.png

Looking at other photos, it's not that obvious.

Al.

Quite easy to spot..

Align all the locos / coaches on the left side..

if the toilet window is under the HST nose its short, if its 2 windows longer.. its long.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Emails today from Hattons saying the Hogwarts range has been pushed back to August - October release. Bit of a pain but longer to save up I guess. 

When my youngest was 6 she was a fan of Thomas, and we got the TTTE train set.

Now she's 12 and a Potterhead. I'm keeping quiet about Hornby's latest offering! ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

It appears that Hornby have changed the coaches in the forthcoming R3750 Belmond pack. They were originally K-Type Ibis, Ione, & Minerva. They are now All Steel K-Type 1st Parlours Lucille, Zena, & 1st Kitchen Ione. These are now of the correct type, even if not 100% accurate to the slightly altered appearance of the Belmond coaches. Isn’t it typical how these things always seem to happen after you’ve just finished renaming several coaches!!!!!  

Edited by Hilux5972
Added content
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 01/07/2019 at 10:06, Hilux5972 said:

It appears that Hornby have changed the coaches in the forthcoming R3750 Belmond pack. They were originally K-Type Ibis, Ione, & Minerva. They are now All Steel K-Type 1st Parlours Lucille, Zena, & 1st Kitchen Ione. These are now of the correct type, even if not 100% accurate to the slightly altered appearance of the Belmond coaches. Isn’t it typical how these things always seem to happen after you’ve just finished renaming several coaches!!!!!  

Thanks for the info. Are any of the previously released Hornby Pullman coaches suitable to extend this modern day rake?

• RMweb Premium

My rake consists of the following 

R1038/1073 K-Type

1st parlour Minerva

1st parlour Cygnus

1st kitchen Ibis 

1st parlour Phoenix (renamed)

1st parlour Perseus (renamed)

R4664 All Steel K-Type

1st parlour Zena (renamed)

1st parlour Lucille (renamed)

R4663 All steel K-Type

1st kitchen Ione (renamed)

Now this is where it gets a bit tricky. I bought 3 R4513 Brighton Belle Coaches, but needed 3 of the R4871 Brighton Belle 1st Class parlour chassis to enable the use of NEM couplers without major modifications to the original R4513 as they had the special couplings. Using the original bodies on the new chassis saved me trying to colour match the roof for a repaint. These were renamed as 

1st kitchen Gwen

1st kitchen Vera

1st kitchen Audrey

Some of these aren’t exact replicas as the window arrangements were slightly altered and some of the bogies were swapped. But overall this gives a pretty good recreation. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Added content
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Although obviously the 3 All Steel K-Type can now be done at the same time as buying the R3750 pack without the need for renaming. Just my luck after I’ve finished renaming 3 of them. Now do I keep the renamed ones or keep the ones that come in the pack! 

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2019 at 07:18, Hilux5972 said:

Now this is where it gets a bit tricky. I bought 3 R4513 Brighton Belle Coaches, but needed 3 of the R4871 Brighton Belle 1st Class parlour chassis to enable the use of NEM couplers without major modifications to the original R4513 as they had the special couplings. Using the original bodies on the new chassis saved me trying to colour match the roof for a repaint. These were renamed as 

Hmm,,

so I am in the opposite quandry, I have spare Belle driving car chassis, with the special coupling, and really dont like the NEM coupling, as the coaches drag too much on my layout, but I want the lights, so was thinking of buying an older set and swapping bodies.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm,,

so I am in the opposite quandry, I have spare Belle driving car chassis, with the special coupling, and really dont like the NEM coupling, as the coaches drag too much on my layout, but I want the lights, so was thinking of buying an older set and swapping bodies.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Hmm,,

Yep that would work perfectly. It’s a straight swap. The only mod was to the couplings. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Derails Models said:

Two of the most eagerly awaited modern image items of the year have now arrived - you'll be seeing them on the shelf of your local model shop soon! To whet your appetite in the meantime....

834825317_HSTs.jpg.a27ebe4c607f9fc5ae17f9a7c264788e.jpg

I'll give you 200 quid for the LNER :crazy:

17 minutes ago, Derails Models said:

For the one powercar, yeah that's fine ;) Special deal of £400 for the two, just for you! LOL

Nice try, Dan. Do you realise that you’ve just offered one happy customer a GWR motored unit and an LNER motored unit for £400? :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Nice try, Dan. Do you realise that you’ve just offered one happy customer a GWR motored unit and an LNER motored unit for £400? :D

Double the pulling power for sure. 18 car HST anyone?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

My mistake - they're both dummy cars ;)

Offer still stands of course....

• Funny 2

My rake consists of the following 

R1038/1073 K-Type

1st parlour Minerva

1st parlour Cygnus

1st kitchen Ibis 

1st parlour Phoenix (renamed)

1st parlour Perseus (renamed)

Is 'Cygnus' correct from these train packs? 'Cygnus' in today's VSOE is a 1951 U-Type? Was the name previously used for a K-Type? Bit of a minefield these Pullmans!

Pullman Parlour First No.308 "Cygnus"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/7118670457/

Edited by WILLIAM

• RMweb Premium

It was a 1951 U-Type that was modified by VSOE to match the rest of the rake. As we don’t have a U-Type model yet, which would need the lavvy window modified anyway, then a K-Type is the nearest we can get. The only other major visual difference is the door overhangs at the ends of the coach. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

It was a 1951 U-Type that was modified by VSOE to match the rest of the rake. As we don’t have a U-Type model yet, which would need the lavvy window modified anyway, then a K-Type is the nearest we can get. The only other major visual difference is the door overhangs at the ends of the coach. 

Thanks again for the info. The windows are noticeably smaller on the U-Types too but I get your point about a representation until hopefully the U-Types are produced. It appears the other two coaches in the pack are much closer to those used today as they were/are K-Types albeit with some window modifications as you mentioned earlier.

minerva

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143518034@N05/38805084480/

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

Thanks again for the info. The windows are noticeably smaller on the U-Types too but I get your point about a representation until hopefully the U-Types are produced. It appears the other two coaches in the pack are much closer to those used today as they were/are K-Types albeit with some window modifications as you mentioned earlier.

minerva

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143518034@N05/38805084480/

Yes Minerva and Ibis are much closer. The windows on the 1951 versions are indeed smaller, an issue which I’m going get around by painting the brown window frames cream, just to give the look of them being smaller. 

The new Belmond pack now has the All Steel K-Type Coaches, a recent change that has slightly annoyed me as I have just finished renaming 3 of the R4663/4664 versions, Murphy’s law of course. I’m after the loco in the pack as well as the seperate one so not sure yet whether I will buy 2 individual ones and renumber one or buy the pack and sell my renamed coaches. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Added content

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Weird goings on on their website - yesterday the page for 67024 had vanished, which was a worry in case it was cancelled. It has reappeared. Now the Belmond pack only has pictures of the 3 coaches and none of 67021. Odd

Also received 2 of the new NMT coaches, one has one bogie with yellow springs and one bogie with green springs! Guess a GWR bogie slipped into the batch.

• Thanks 1