Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• 3 weeks later...

One of Hornby's R3638, WC No 34019 Bideford, arrived at my door yesterday, and has the swivelling/flanged wheel rear pony truck.

After many years (10-12?) of 'fixed pony truck with flangeless wheel' approach on pacifics, is this now to become a general feature on other 4-6-2's in the range?

I must say this is to my personal preference.

Overall though the approach used by Bachmann on their A1's -of a fixed rear bogie sideframe with the wheel turning within it, seems to have the best of both worlds.

Assuming it was an unrebuilt Bulleid? These have always had the fully swivelling rear truck.

Hornby's approach since the rebuilt bulleids is the fixed side frames and flangeless wheelset as a balance between being able to run on second radius and to get the details in the side frames.

The A1 is slightly different because the side frames are fixed on the real thing. The same method is on the Atlantics.

Thanks for that, yes it is an unrebuilt pacific. The forthcoming LMSR Princess will be an interesting one as the rear truck on it is so prominent-and looks so wrong on the earlier Hornby ones, despite my comments above regarding preferences . Perhaps giving modellers the option would be better...

9 hours ago, paulbb said:

Thanks for that, yes it is an unrebuilt pacific. The forthcoming LMSR Princess will be an interesting one as the rear truck on it is so prominent-and looks so wrong on the earlier Hornby ones, despite my comments above regarding preferences . Perhaps giving modellers the option would be better...

Its difficult because you could do 50:50 fixed/moving truck but the  could be left with one or the other that wont sell. Plus the additional tooling required.

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Its difficult because you could do 50:50 fixed/moving truck but the  could be left with one or the other that wont sell. Plus the additional tooling required.

Or, a single truck that can either move but be just a basic unit, or be locked in place by the user with a screw, and with extra detail the user could fit?

Edited by Ian J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For those waiting, the Hornby website lists the Hogsmeade building range as coming soon so not long to wait now. Very excited for these. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Spelling correction

• 2 weeks later...

Mallard should have a cut down tender as it participated in the 1948 trials and didn't lose the tender until 1953 when it went to Woodcock and even then the tender wasn't restored to its full height.

The lining at the front of the valences on 60028 looks wrong; it should follow the curve of the bufferbeams. As here. Hopefully it’s just because it’s a sample.

Edited by JamieR4489
Add bit about 60028

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

Mallard should have a cut down tender as it participated in the 1948 trials and didn't lose the tender until 1953 when it went to Woodcock and even then the tender wasn't restored to its full height.

Easy enough to do with a sharp scalpel as I did with my USA Scotsman 

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Easy enough to do with a sharp scalpel as I did with my USA Scotsman 

Still, you’d expect Hornby to get it right. As there were only three tenders with the cut down ends, I guess it wouldn’t be cost effective to make a new tooling just for these models.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JamieR4489 said:

Still, you’d expect Hornby to get it right. As there were only three tenders with the cut down ends, I guess it wouldn’t be cost effective to make a new tooling just for these models.

No it wouldnt be. 

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Wow, the Cartazzi truck wheels are floating way above track height.

As it should be on the fixed cartazzi model - to get round small radius curves they adopted wheels on the Cartazzi trucks without flanges to allow the truck to be fixed and not have to swing.

I think you still get an alternative wheelset to drop in if you want the flanges.

It looks worse because the flanges on the other wheels lift the model off the flat surface.

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

As it should be on the fixed cartazzi model - to get round small radius curves they adopted wheels on the Cartazzi trucks without flanges to allow the truck to be fixed and not have to swing.

I think you still get an alternative wheelset to drop in if you want the flanges.

It looks worse because the flanges on the other wheels lift the model off the flat surface.

You still do! Detail pack includes flanged cartazzi wheel, 2 drain cocks, and a hose (for the tender I assume).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, come to that the boiler doesn't boil anything, there is no smoke in the smokebox (unless something is badly amiss) and no fire in the firebox either.  It's a truck on the real thing and referred to as a truck on the model though it isn't actually a truck any more than the boiler, smokebox, and firebox are actually the things they purport to represent.

Semantics rather than non-sequitur, methinks...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Well the Hogsmeade range of buildings has been released. I have to say I am extremely disappointed with one building. The booking office should be all over maroon instead of half white. I sent images of this to Hornby in January as soon as the buildings were announced with assurances it would be passed on. Seems now that didn’t happen. A real shame. Out with the paint brushes now I guess

Hornby R3771 4464 "Bittern in LNER Garter Blue with two tenders - as preserved delayed between November 2019 & January 2020.

-Was originally a late summer 2019 release then moved to an October release. Besides the Hornby roadshow, was there any painted sample pictures released?

Hornby R3737 60022 "Mallard" in BR Blue delayed until December 2019.

-Not a surprise with this one.

Hornby R3701 60028 "Walter K Whigham" in BR experimental purple still November 2019 release.

-I did not preorder this one, so I do not if anything does change.