Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 16:31, Ribird said:

Hornby R3771 4464 "Bittern in LNER Garter Blue with two tenders - as preserved delayed between November 2019 & January 2020.

-Was originally a late summer 2019 release then moved to an October release. Besides the Hornby roadshow, was there any painted sample pictures released?

Hornby R3737 60022 "Mallard" in BR Blue delayed until December 2019.

-Not a surprise with this one.

Hornby R3701 60028 "Walter K Whigham" in BR experimental purple still November 2019 release.

-I did not preorder this one, so I do not if anything does change.

I'm still waiting on the PLA Peckett that was announced in Summer 2018. It was supposed to be April 2019... then August 2019... then October... now the Hornby website says Summer 2020.

• 2 months later...

According to today's Kernow newsletter, they have advised that Hornby have told them that a number of 2019 new releases will arrive before Christmas, including the BR black Prairie, all versions of the Warner LSWR brake van and all versions of the LMS brake van.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, D1051 said:

Over the past few years Hornby have created a niche for brake vans being it NEW or RETOOLS. So i would expect 2020 range to include another . Brake van wish list anyone ?

I would put my money on the SECR 'Dancehall' van as it had a long life & would go well with the intricately-lined green tank engines produced over the past few years. Also I have an unmade Cambrian kit in the to-do pile!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prtrainman said:

I would put my money on the SECR 'Dancehall' van as it had a long life & would go well with the intricately-lined green tank engines produced over the past few years. Also I have an unmade Cambrian kit in the to-do pile!

From information supplied by learned members of the thread community and from other sources, the 'dance hall' vans went into production in 1921 (one prototype was made in 1918) and most emerged after grouping. The intricate SECR locomotive livery had given way to grey by this time.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2019 at 07:37, Tramshed said:

From information supplied by learned members of the thread community and from other sources, the 'dance hall' vans went into production in 1921 (one prototype was made in 1918) and most emerged after grouping. The intricate SECR locomotive livery had given way to grey by this time.

That said, seeing as the earlier SECR brakes probably didn’t last into the BR era and the Bluebell regularly used to run one with their ornately lined out Wainwright locos, much as with Hattons ‘generic’ coaches it would still look the part to less fussy modellers who at the moment lack SECR RTR brake van.

Not seen it noted on here, but the LNER MK3's are slowly being delivered; these have modified bogies with NEM pockets and come fitted with continental style close couplings (regular ones are in the box). I thought it was only the new tool sliding door stock that was recieving this treatment, but a nice surprise regardless. 

Cheers,

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Not seen it noted on here, but the LNER MK3's are slowly being delivered; these have modified bogies with NEM pockets and come fitted with continental style close couplings (regular ones are in the box). I thought it was only the new tool sliding door stock that was recieving this treatment, but a nice surprise regardless. 

Cheers,

The GWR mk3s that came out about a year ago have the same couplings. 

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone,

I’ve bought more Hornby products this year than I have for a while. There is a wide range so hopefully something for everyone. The latest being 31602 which is a rather nice model and the yellow MK2F’s. My older 31233 is at the other end and both models have been fitted with Hornbys 31 TTS sounds which has some nice engine noises on it.

Cheers

Mark

783B63D6-3228-427C-A31A-DA2028B73412.jpeg

6B80926A-CBA8-41C7-B853-5F1B22F6D9D0.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 18/12/2019 at 19:45, Phil Parker said:

I'm a bit concerned about this; most of Hornby's problems over the last couple of decades have been rooted in a failure to wean themselves off dependence on train sets, which have damaged the company's financial performance and enabled older and less suitable models to be retained (there really is no excuse for the Jinty chassis 08 even in the Task Force set; it needs a 'proper' loco which will encourage sales of proper stock when the owner grows out of Task Force.  Same goes for the 2721 as an introduction to DCC.).  And Scalextrix is a dead duck which should have been discontinued years ago, despite the continuing attempts to revive it with technology.  If you can't afford a racing game on your phone or computer, there are cheaper slot racing alternatives in Aldi and the pound shops.

It feels too much like the resumption of Hornby normal service for my liking.  Their core customers grew up years ago; they need to follow suit, and an 'old style xmas revival' is the opposite of that!

2 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Scalextrix still has a dedicated following, so don't write it off so easily.

Correct and the themed sets have been flying off the shelves apparently. People are confusing the market. Most Scalextric sets will be sold to 20 to 50 year old lads wanting something to mess around with after a few drinks.

Beep! Beep!

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/cars/micro/looney-tunes-road-runner-car.html

Jason

• Agree 4

25 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I'm a bit concerned about this; most of Hornby's problems over the last couple of decades have been rooted in a failure to wean themselves off dependence on train sets, which have damaged the company's financial performance and enabled older and less suitable models to be retained (there really is no excuse for the Jinty chassis 08 even in the Task Force set; it needs a 'proper' loco which will encourage sales of proper stock when the owner grows out of Task Force.  Same goes for the 2721 as an introduction to DCC.).  And Scalextrix is a dead duck which should have been discontinued years ago, despite the continuing attempts to revive it with technology.  If you can't afford a racing game on your phone or computer, there are cheaper slot racing alternatives in Aldi and the pound shops.

It feels too much like the resumption of Hornby normal service for my liking.  Their core customers grew up years ago; they need to follow suit, and an 'old style xmas revival' is the opposite of that!

If Hornby relied on the core customers who have now grown up, their customer base would dwindle year on year. Hornby quite rightly cater for everyone, from toddlers through to serious modellers. I wouldn't mind betting that those trainsets and basic models, of which you are so dismissive, actually play a huge part of keeping the company afloat. As well as financing the R&D work for the models you think they should only be making.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I disagree. Part of Hornby's problems in the past have stemmed from disregarding their feeder market - the kids who start out with train sets and then progress to more serious modelling. If they're putting more focus on that, then that's a good thing.

There's a large and popular toy shop in my town that I walk past most days. Recently they've had a big display of Hornby train sets in their window. They never used to have that. The sets range from cheap and cheerful (both the Christmas sets are there) to large, expensive DCC sets. That can only be a good thing for the hobby as a whole. 

As for Scalextric, it's still a popular brand. It's survived into the digital era because it's simple, fun and expandable. There is still a significant market for physical, hands-on toys, and Scalextric is one that works well in that market. 

• Like 3

He's right about the 08 though. Should never have been made in the first place and definitely should have been replaced in the Railroad range with the Lima version by now.

They really do need to differentiate between the Railroad and main ranges a bit more clearly, and stop putting old tat in the main range. £37 for GWR Clerestories being a prime example.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/gwr-c15-clerestory-corridor-composite-3229-era-2.html 

Jason

• Administrators
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

And Scalextrix is a dead duck which should have been discontinued years ago, despite the continuing attempts to revive it with technology.

I appreciate that you have access to Hornby's internal accounts when you make this statement and aren't just saying something based on your own prejudices - perhaps you could enlighten those making and selling it as they have developed several new sets, especially in the micro Scalextric range. You might also like to go along to one of the UK's popular slot car festivals where you'll find loads of people of all ages enjoying the hobby and tell them it's dead too.

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

there really is no excuse for the Jinty chassis 08 even in the Task Force set; it needs a 'proper' loco which will encourage sales of proper stock when the owner grows out of Task Force.

That would be the set introduced in 1982? Just under 20 years before the current 08 was released? I can see your point if you mean the mixed freight set, where it is a bit old in the tooth. There were presumably cost reasons for doing this, again your greater access to the accounting system might be able to shed more light on this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1