Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It's avaialble online but sadly you have to be a member to read the whole thing: www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/12/31/traditional-toys-meet-digital-devices-Hornby-staying-relevant/amp/

In the bit you can read for free mentions iPhones and apps so perhaps a digital interface like railmaster on a tablet or phone. 

If true that would be a fantastic move, if it’s both affordable and works on DC as well as DCC too then they will have nailed it.

On 31/12/2019 at 19:42, Pre Grouping fan said:

It's avaialble online but sadly you have to be a member to read the whole thing: www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/12/31/traditional-toys-meet-digital-devices-Hornby-staying-relevant/amp/

In the bit you can read for free mentions iPhones and apps so perhaps a digital interface like railmaster on a tablet or phone. 

Railmaster already has a tablet/phone option. Not that it really works though. Server connection far too slow.

This VR/digital stuff sounds nice but - for me personally - already spending most of my day attached to digital world in one way or another, I prefer my models to real tangilble 3D solid operating objects. 

It will probably look nice, may attrack certain people but will probably be not high on my list of things I wish to buy in 2020. Mind you with Rails D class coming, I'm not exactly wondering what to buy right now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the VR could be used more like AR (augmented reality) to allow us to 'see' moving people on platforms and getting onto and off of trains, etc. Interesting, but I don't think I'd really want to be wearing a headset to watch the real model trains go by.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I think the VR could be used more like AR (augmented reality) to allow us to 'see' moving people on platforms and getting onto and off of trains, etc. Interesting, but I don't think I'd really want to be wearing a headset to watch the real model trains go by.

agreed - such a thing looks and sounds cool but once you’ve done it once becomes a bit so what and a bit of a gimmick.  However, fully aware that the YouTube box opening community is completely different to this forum.  What they think and whether those communities buy might be a completely different thing entirely.

• Agree 1

I'm usually in Australia so 7.00pm... but this year on holidays in New Zealand.... so it is a longer day to see what is announced. Still it makes me smile that we can see what is proposed...last year things proposed but canned... Q6 sound i am still after!

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • AY Mod locked this topic