Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Someone’s spat the dummy.......

Quite. Its about the price point. My lad was drooling over the Hattons 66s, but a sound equipped one for £250 was a bit rich for him (though he doesnt know that yet!). A Hornby 66 sound equipped for c £100? He'll love it, and wont care that its not all-singing all-dancing.

• Like 2

Well Andy York - you were absolutely right and for the first time in years Hornby have produced a fantastic list

Large prairie

Non corridors

LMS brakevan

Peckett

Ruston

Will all be on my shopping list, and that is the first time in well over a decade that I can say that.

Really not sure why Hornby have chosen to come from behind with the Mk2Fs as Bachmann are already lining model shop shelves with the selfsame. Would have thought mk2b or c would be a better choice, unless the development stage was too advanced to call a halt.

The other oddity and annoyance is Hornby's step back into the 1960s with the GW non corridors - a half brake and a composite - just like Triang's original Mk1s - a BSK and a CK.  What is the obsession with first class ? i appreciate Hornby's statement that their vehicles can make up 4 coach sets as used out of Paddington, but all second vehicles were also used throughout the system and are of far more use to the modeller.

Definately some spoiling going on against rival model manufacturers but hey.  

Thanks Hornby 2019 will be your year - just augment the non corridors in 2020 please  

This is the first decent range plan by Hornby for several years IMHO. But I have to say..new Mk2Fs?! I genuinely don't understand that, the Bachmann product is definitive, so they can only beat it on price to a lower market which by default won't be bothered about which Mk2 it is. Two decent class 60s (please get the triple grey shades correct on this one!) and a couple of 31s, but still no blue or dutch refurbished. Looking forward to the revised MK3s, I'll be getting all three sets plus the class 87s and 67s. Good work, but I still stand by Hornby is predominantly a steam biased manufacturer which can be a little disappointing at times. But this is why we have several manufacturers so it's fine! 

Look forward to the above being released. 

Alex

• Like 1

Someone’s spat the dummy.......

Lol you call that spitting the dummy, far from it but just telling it how it is.

Hornby not introducing a newly tooled modern image diesel or electric locomotive is quite disappointing but hey if they don't have the stomach for it someone else will just come along and do it, no skin off my nose.

But they have done well in other areas such as modern image coaches and accompanying HST's and finally bringing back a DB Class 60 so those should make them a bit of money.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In a word "WOW".

A "Big Boy", new Track Rubber (that has been needed for some time). Biffa 66, over excited!

Anybody want to Crowdfund our shop? Going to need a bigger shop.

Why....how many Track Rubbers are you going to stock? LOL

Nothing in the range for me (although I may get one of the open-cab Peckett W4's), however I'm ok with that as I have two J70's and an N7 to pay for imminently! This looks like a very ambitious and exciting programme covering practically every interest, with big pacifics, middle range tanks, industrial locos, and lots of lovely coaches and wagons and lots for the modern image modeller too - the Romanian 92 is particularly interesting! I really hope they pull it off and that they make a bucket of money off of these, they deserve it for being so ambitious and we all want a healthy Hornby. Lots are due in the next few months too which makes it more exciting.  

They have played their hand well as the items that are going head to head with others such as the Terrier and Prairies are due before their competitors, so it should get some much needed cashflow through the door quickly and providing the results are up to their usual level, should be the option of choice for most modellers, and at a lower price to boot. The Mark 2f's are a surprise, although if they stick to liveries that are not being produced by Bachmann they should be ok - some Anglian and Virgin ones would sell well I would've thought - they could even churn out some Virgin, ONE, and FL/EWS 90's to complement them. The one potential misstep I can see are the 66's, I think that is a strange move and in doing 9(?) different liveries, unless they are in limited quantities, will take up valuable production space for other models.  

Top marks from me overall!

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 2

Thanks Andy for posting such a comprehensive listing.

Lots of new stuff, well done to Hornby for that, although I share the general mystification regarding the Mark 2f coaches, and agree that a fully revamped 2d range would have been better, although at least Hornby's 2f range is cheaper, and available in more liveries, than Bachmann's.

Nice to see a BR blue 31 again (trust this one won't be cancelled !) and delighted with the LNER long CCT finally coming in BR Blue (hopefully the LMS CCT and Hawksworth BG will follow). The LMS brake van looks good too.

Finally, I note the Progressive Rock theme has continued with the naming of the 0-4-0 steamers !

• RMweb Gold

Some good stuff here.

Love 87001 dual named (as retired/preserved) - though how it is Era 11 and the Caledonian Sleeper 87002 is Era 10? 87001 Was in the NRM years before 87002 went onto sleeper duties!!!

Because this is how it looks today, as preserved ?

Glad to see the scotrail mk3 coaches but why not the scotrail HST power cars to go with them? That's very odd.

They are.. Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

For the modern image modeller there's a lot of crappy duplication on old tooling as in the 47's, 66's & 92's.

If Hornby think they can take sales away from Hatton's, Bachmann & DJ Models by offering sub standard rubbish with new liveries then good luck to them.

Hornby should have least attempted to do a newly tooled Class 37 or 47.

I'd just say remember the market they are in . And actually for many of us the 47s are just fine . If you want the full blown highly detailed 66 go Hattons , If you want a trainset version that you might have difficulty telling the difference on from 3 feet away, then go Hornby . You now have a choice . I'm assuming the Hornby ones are about half the price.  It does look to me that Hornby are trying to reinvigorate the starter end of the market . Haven't read through it all yet but it looks good to me and I think they've been paying attention DB Red Class 60, Banger Blue 31s .   Scotrail HSTs  woo hoo .   Well done red team , looks like you are trying to deliver in a challenging market .

• Like 1

Personally I think this is the most impressive Hornby set of realeases for around a decade - just look at the sheer amount and breadth of new tooling.

Yet, an expensive year ahead for me... the GWR modeller simply can’t have enough large prairies and I’ll have a rake or two of the non-corridors. The new AA15 Toad is also being released in late (small letters) GWR livery.

I’m a sucker for Southern malachite items and a rake of the Bulleids may also join the pre-order list...

Well done Hornby!

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 4

I always like seeing A4s. Bittern is tempting me. Shame no all new A1/A3 as I won't buy new releases due to the quality issues around the front end.

I shall watch all new models with interest as usual but my wallet is safe for another week at least

Really pleased to see the Class 60 in DBS red after a very long wait.

Not too keen on having to pay for a TTS unit when there’s the attraction of some other fantastic 3rd party sounds out there. But it’s doable and maybe Rails might be persuaded to sell one minus TTS - something I think they’ve done with other models in the past (??)

Bigger issue is plonking a name on the side!! If it’s seriously fixed, then hiding things after removal might be problematic on such a large flat featureless area.

Unfortunately, leaving the purchaser to fix (or not) the plates presents positioning difficulties in this instance - so that won’t happen.

So .............. just hoping there will be a solution presented. Been waiting too long for a red one!