Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Take the 37 as an example, there are probably well over 30 detail alteration combinations and livery combinations to choose from so how do you cost effectively deliver three examples in a brand new catalogue ?

Centre headcode deep or shallow, split headcode, no headcode and wipacs, DRS jumper, headlights, nose end side grilles refurbished (two kinds) unrefurbished, bodyside windows, bodyside hand holds and boiler tank filler, RSH cantrail grilles or standard grilles.

The list is extensive, but then liveries have to be matched to the bodyshell variants and fair play to Bachmann, they have trodden a log and winding road with the class 37. I have a rather nice "Welsh" green one with a "Biffo" sound project in it, and I thinbk it would struggle to be bettered by an off the shelf product.     

Hornby announce something like that outside the catalogue if that's what you mean?...maybe they'll shock us mid-year and spring a warm surprise.

So what’s in it for me ?

I’m going to order the Caledonian class 87 and class 92 (I’ve given up on the DJ one).

The blue 31 will join my fleet, it will become 31418 Bodicea when it does (a rare skinhead 31/4 that lived its end on Manchester club trains before expiring and retiring in Wigan before being preserved).

Ruston 48DS is nice, there was a blue one at Morden milk close to me, and Tranfsers are available for dinky toys on ebay.

I think at least another will join it.

I’ve really enough W4’s but Daphne could join, the B2 definitely fills a gap! - I think it will be Sherwood, could be 2.

I’m glad I paused on ordering the Rails Terrier, and the Dapol 51xx, I wasn’t initially sure, I’ve definitely got something to think about now...

35022 will be on the list for sure, the Princess was a gap in my collection, the older model I didn’t like, so I’d imagine I’m up for a couple of these.

Still digesting it, what I didn’t see was an Intercity DVT, but the sliding doors mk3’s means we will probably see Chiltern trains mk3’s at some point. Additionally the door remains open to DRS Cumbrian coast stock, which maybe Bachman’s bag.

I see several have been rested this year: Bulleid Rebuilt (wc/bb/mn), no King or Castle, much of the railroad steam (not a bad thing) has there ever been a year without an 08/Jinty before ?, no class 50, No expansion of the Sound van concept ? No clan ? A definite focus on relevance to a younger audience in Railroad, If I was the 15-20 year old I was, i’d be smiling this year.

I’m thinking of doing the same with the skinhead 31. Think I’ll go for 444 as it had no fan cowling like 102, whereas 418 does. Less work the better for me!

• Like 1

Slightly puzzled by the lack of any new Skaledale rtp buildings.  Before the "you're not a modeller unless you hand knit your own Blenheim Palace" brigade pile in, they are a very useful tool to customise and populate a layout with buildings relatively quickly and if, like me, you are more into town planning than collecting locos and trundling a wagon from one siding to another all day, the growth of well detailed rtp buildings has been a boon.  Apart from the NER stations rebranded as Hogswhatever, and the useful bread and butter walls and tunnel components, no new buildings have been announced.  Does this mean that they are being "rested", or is there another set of announcements to come?

Seems odd not to do more as they would (I imagine) be a lot cheaper to produce than a new loco tooling and have sales potential beyond the model railway sector as I know quite a few bus and truck collectors buy them to make dioramas for example.

• Like 2

Can someone confirm if the Belmond 'British Pullman' Train Pack R3750 contains the Railroad version coaches?

Thanks.

Looking at the prices, £144 for the loco, £204 for the pack..... it’s either good value for the full fat version, or, what’s more likely, the going rate for the loco and 3 railroad models.... like you, I wish the manufacturers would make it clear what are the high detailed toolings and the lower quality railroad toolings.....

The Hornby web site is also listing a 6 pin decoder at £25.99 R7150 and a whole load more TTS Sound Decoders at £41.99;

R7140 HST Valeta, R7141 Rebuilt Merchant Navy, R7142 P2, R7143 Britannia, R7144 Q6, R7145 B12, R7146 08, R7147 Princess Royal, R7239 J36, R8114 Black 5  and R8123 Class 50.

Skaledale simply seems to be  a set a reintroductions including the NER Station this time called Hogsmeade.

What were previously known as SkaleAutos and SkaleScenics make return;

R7152 Ford Transit £6.99

R7153 Fowler Steam Roller £13.49

R7154 Fowler Ploughing Engine £17.99

@£6.49 R7123 FX4 Taxi, R7124 BMC Mini Saloon, R7125 BMC Mini Van, R7151 Land Rover 109, R7155 Ferguson TEA Tractor, R7237 Ford Anglia 105E

2.5mm Static Grass in  four shades @£3.50 (R7177-R7180) plus one with boulders! @£5.25 (R7181), together with a puffer bottle (R7182 £6.50) and glue (R7183 £10.50)

Eight packs of flock @£4.25 (R7156-R7163)

Seven packs of ballast @£3.50 (R7164-R7170)

Five packs of scatter @ £2.75 (R7171-R7176)

Nine packs of foliage @ £8.95 (R7184-R7192)

Five packs of lichen! @£3.45/£6.95 (R7193-R7197)

Trees @ £18.95 - R7198 Deciduous, R7199 Fir, R7201 Mixed Deciduous and Fir

Trees @ £10.95 - R7202 Fruit, R7206 Large Fir, R7207 Small Fir, R7203 Maple, R7204 Beech, R7205 Birch £10.95

Individual tree with circular bench R7218 £8.50

Individual tree with tree house R7224 £21.95

Individual tree @ £7.50 R7212 Fruit, R7213 Apple with fruit, R7214 Pear, R7215 Birch, R7216 Rowan with Berries, R7217 Acacia, R7225 Medium Nordic Fir, R7226 Large Nordic Fir, R7227 Medium Pine, R7228 Large Pine

Individual tree @ £8.95 R7209 Oak  R7210 Lime R7211 Horse Chestnut

Individual tree @ £9.95 R7220 Oak  R7221 Lime R7219 Beech  R7222 Horse Chestnut £9.95

Individual Lime tree R7223 £14.95

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

Anybody know if there will be a tie in again this year with Hornby magazine to get the February issue and the 2019 catalogue at a special discounted price?

The Feb issue is due out on 10th which is Thursday , so I think it’s unlikely.it does contain details of the Hornby 2019 program but no mention was made of catalogue

• RMweb Gold

The problems with Hornby going for a high spec new 37 or 47 are simple, but unavoidable.

1. By definition, such a model is going to retail at £150-£180.

2. In order to sell enough of them, they need to be good enough to make owners of recent Bachmann locos want to replace those they already own. My own thought is that those models are not yet sufficiently "off the pace" to justify Hornby embarking on such a venture.

3. Others clearly do, presumably those most vociferous in supporting the notion, but I expect that many more (those who like to watch them pulling trains from two or three feet away rather than sitting on a shelf six inches from their noses) consider the Bachmann ones to be perfectly adequate for their needs.

4. Hornby currently need to produce models that will sell in good numbers, and quickly. I doubt I'm alone in thinking they've done the sensible thing by ignoring these classes for now. Ask again in 2-3 years time, always supposing Hatton's don't jump in first. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

We have a dog fight to watch between Hornby and Rails. I'll wait and see which produces the best Terrier and then wait until that company does a version in LBSC umber before buying. The LSWR brake van is useful.

So was the Terrier the eye opener that we were promised since it is so close to being released?

Quite obvious from the images that it's the full-spec Pullman coaches and not the RailRoad ones.

So you think Hornby can sell a pack that contains a super detailed Class 67 & 3 super detailed Pullman coaches for RRP £225.99...you give them a awful lot of credit or am I missing something here???

This pack just maybe the bargain of the century considering each Pullman Coach individually retails for RRP £58.99 and a new Pullman Class 67 for RRP £159.99, that £336.96 reduced to £225.99...I certainly hope you're right they are full-spec but I doubt it.

Edited by classy52

That does not take into account the probability that Hornby have had this under development a bit longer than Dapol.....before the now well publicised announcement of their version in fact.Despite some rather obvious clues,some of us have chosen to dismiss the possibility that this would happen.Similar situations have occurred before in fact.Hornby have kept a tight ship and now we’ll see who’s first past the post.

It may well be the case that Hornby's Terrier is at a more advanced state than the Rails offering.

But, the Rails Terrier has been announced for some time and must have attracted many pre-orders,

including mine. Am I going to cancel my pre-order? no, and I suspect that many will stick with Rails.

We know that the Dapol B4 was a quality product, so the risk of a dodgy model is remote.

It would seem the major manufacturers are out to stamp on the commissioners, seeing them as

a threat to their own business. As for duplicate ' wars ' look at the Adams Radial, both the Oxford

and Hornby models are now discounted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

well that was a expensive couple of hours!  Montrose, Connaught and 2 brake vans ordered. well done Hornby a excellent rage this year, two industrial locos i thought one maybe but two. and thanks to Andy and his team for getting all the information up to.    

Looking at the prices, £144 for the loco, £204 for the pack..... it’s either good value for the full fat version, or, what’s more likely, the going rate for the loco and 3 railroad models.... like you, I wish the manufacturers would make it clear what are the high detailed toolings and the lower quality railroad toolings.....

I just did the math, there is no way those Pullman coaches are full-spec at that pack price considering the loco is super detailed.

The Terrier was a real eye opener for me. I nearly put a deposite on a pair of Rails ones.

My speculation is that both will be good, Hornby's will have more weight and Rails will allow DCC sound.

I normally go for anything SECR but....... 3 terriers (ex-Dapol tooling, new Dapol tooling, new Hornby tooling) in SECR colours would be a waste of money.

• RMweb Gold

when did Bittern run with two tenders?

I dont think it did.

In the latter part of its last mainline ticket. It ran around 6 or 7 runs in LNER blue, around 2011-2012, though as best i can recall it was running as 4492 Dominion of New Zealand at the time.

It was previously in BR green as 60019 Bittern and did a few trips then with it.

4464 reverted to its true identity in time for the Great Gathering in 2013 I Dont think I saw it after 2013 behind 4464, (remeber the WB incident stopped steam, then LSL started to become a TOC), its possible its only been 4464 Bittern with two tenders after it went out of ticket and storage at Margate.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Several posts have mentioned that Hornby are producing a new "Terrier". I don't know where this comes from—it isn't listed in any of Andy Y's posts!

A last minute addition, but almost ready for release. See separate thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141090-Hornby-new-tooling-terrier/?p=3423702

• RMweb Gold

So you think Hornby can sell a pack that contains a super detailed Class 67 & 3 super detailed Pullman coaches for RRP £225.99...you give them a awful lot of credit or am I missing something here???

This pack just maybe the bargain of the century considering each Pullman Coach individually retails for RRP £58.99 and a new Pullman Class 67 for over RRP £159.99, that £336.96 reduced to £225.99...I certainly hope you're right they are full-spec but I doubt it.

He's right about the illustration, though. The Pullmans shown have trussed underframes; Railroad ones don't.

John

He's right about the illustration, though. The Pullmans shown have trussed underframes; Railroad ones don't.

John

Yes this is why I asked the question and you are correct the photo shows the full-spec Pullman coaches but I am finding that very hard to believe because there is no way Hornby would make any money on this pack supplying full-spec Pullmans.

I'm going to go with the wrong photo being used but even on Hornby's website they don't even mention from which range they are coming from which causes this ambiguity.

Hope the short Bulleid coaches colour match with the Bachmann ones when they arrive in 2019/20/21/22.

Might pick up a Stanier period III 3rd to add variety to my Saturday excursions.

xLMS brakes van, will need one of those and maybe the LSWR one.

And maybe, just maybe, 4014, as I am hoping to get to see the real thing in steam this year.

Sadly, still no Class 123.

• Like 1