Cutting plasticard

• RMweb Gold

If it's a propper guillotine with a knife edge rather than a circular cutter, it will cut up to 1 mm thick pastikard but anything over 0.5 mm will leave an angled cut and not one at 90o , at least on the guillotine I have, a Dalhe 404. 

AFAIC the only way to cut plastic card is with one of these ...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLFA-WINDOW-TINTING-FITTING-TOOL-ACRYLIC-CUTTER-WITH-2-CUTTERS-PC-L/111931812709?epid=20025925887&hash=item1a0fa7eb65:g:U9QAAOSwsO5b9AdT:rk:1:pf:0

Worth its weight in gold, particularly if you have arthritic hands.  Also very handy for scoring plasticard to make planking and for cutting thin ply, and the blades seem to last forever!

ETA - to clarify, you don't cut the plasticard with it - you score it then snap.  Compared to a scalpel, the Olfa's easier to hold and safer to use.  AFAIK it was originally designed for "cutting" Formica-type materials.

Edited by spikey

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody used or is using a paper guillotine for cutting plasticard are they any good?As I'm thinking of using one 

I used a guillotine to cut some thin Slaters Plastikard and was very happy with the result. I cut several 15mm wide strips to create a wall where the guillotine cut in a very straight line as would be hoped/expected. I was less successful with thicker plastic, the guillotine lacked the guts to cut anything much over 0.5mm in thickness. 

AFAIC the only way to cut plastic card is with one of these ...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLFA-WINDOW-TINTING-FITTING-TOOL-ACRYLIC-CUTTER-WITH-2-CUTTERS-PC-L/111931812709?epid=20025925887&hash=item1a0fa7eb65:g:U9QAAOSwsO5b9AdT:rk:1:pf:0

Worth its weight in gold, particularly if you have arthritic hands.  Also very handy for scoring plasticard to make planking and for cutting thin ply, and the blades seem to last forever!

So that's what that is....

I was given one of those a while ago by someone saying it was a boxcutter. I knew it wasn't as I use proper boxcutters at work.

Jason