Gaugemaster HF2 Electronic Track Cleaner - Worth Having?

Hi, I recently purchased the Gaugemaster HF2 track cleaner - it was sold as a pair along with a controller, which I was really only interested in.

However, I'll be the owner of one soon and before deciding to add it to my set-up, I was wondering how good (or maybe bad) they actually are?

My "Pointless Layout" (see blog!) is a bit unusual - in that it is essentially two independent and unconnected ovals of track, powered via one Gaugemaster "Combi" single track controller - I should point out that the ovals are not strictly that either, as they are interrupted on one side by a traverser.

Will this device work on what are basically two curved "lines" rather than a pair of continuous loops?

Any advice much appreciated (and Happy Xmas Eve btw!) :-)

• RMweb Premium

I have used the HF2 for years and can confirm they do indeed work on single end to end tracks (curved or otherwise!) as well as loops.  There seems to be some chattering that says such high frequency track cleaners cause damage to "modern" models with coreless motors.  In my experience (and I believe Bachmann also tested this as well with the same conclusion) this is complete and utter hogwash, cobblers, horse feathers and bunkem.

I have used the HF2 for years and can confirm they do indeed work on single end to end tracks (curved or otherwise!) as well as loops.  There seems to be some chattering that says such high frequency track cleaners cause damage to "modern" models with coreless motors.  In my experience (and I believe Bachmann also tested this as well with the same conclusion) this is complete and utter hogwash, cobblers, horse feathers and bunkem.

Just to add that I have also used the HF2 for several years now, it does make a difference (Positive!) and causes no problems in my experience.

I would recommend it.

• RMweb Premium

It does what it says on the tin. However no one has mentioned it yet - DO NOT use it on a loco with a DCC chip in it, otherwise it will destroy it. Also be aware of items with lights or sound in them.

• RMweb Premium

"DCC ready" just means they have a socket to plug a decoder into if you run DCC. Not the same as "DCC fitted", "DCC on board" or any other term used to signify that there is a decoder actually fitted.

Beware of course that if bought second hand someone may have fitted a decoder!

I used the Relco HF track cleaner before I went DCC and yes it did make a difference. Not a substitute for keeping track clean of course but it did improve running. I had no problems, but have never used one with more modern stuff - probably nothing newer in technological terms than a Bachmann 158 and 170.

• RMweb Premium

I did use Relco on my layout 30 odd years ago and I have to say that if you don't keep the rails clean you will see the sparking under the pick-up wheels and I did not like the visual effect of that at all! Also poor solder joints to the rails will spark as well. 

• RMweb Premium

Yes please!

I think the best way to describe it is that it won't magically clean dirty track, but it will help stop dirt sticking and overcome the effects of minor deposits on the rails/wheels.  It's not a substitute for manual cleaning, but an aid to keeping things clean and keeping trains moving.

• Like 1

I always thought they were really meant for large layouts, especially ones that have places that are inaccessible.

No reason not to use them on any layout of any size - whether its considered necessary is another matter but I did have them on a small 009 layout which having been well cleaned (track and locos) worked a 2 day exhibition with no further attention needed. The main causes of dirty track are plastic wheels and traction tyres and excluding stock/loco with those is beneficial.

UPDATE -

Installed the HF2 yesterday.... AND it don't do nuffin!

I'm quite philosophical about it though, it was essentially free with an as new Gaugemaster "Combi" controller and power adaptor that in the end I got for £30.

It works in as much as it feeds power to the track - that would have been really annoying, if after all the setting up and rewiring it was completely dead! But, it doesn't light up indicating track cleaning - I thought that I must have exceptionally clean track, but on reading the installation instructions it does state that the lights should come on when power is supplied to the track without a loco present. Hmmm. That doesn't happen.

So, not being electrically minded - I can say without fear of contradiction, that it must be Gremlins.

I have left it set up, as the layout functions as it should with it there anyway - and now that all the wiring is set up for a HF2, I might just have to get one!

UPDATE -

Installed the HF2 yesterday.... AND it don't do nuffin!

I'm quite philosophical about it though, it was essentially free with an as new Gaugemaster "Combi" controller and power adaptor that in the end I got for £30.

It works in as much as it feeds power to the track - that would have been really annoying, if after all the setting up and rewiring it was completely dead! But, it doesn't light up indicating track cleaning - I thought that I must have exceptionally clean track, but on reading the installation instructions it does state that the lights should come on when power is supplied to the track without a loco present. Hmmm. That doesn't happen.

Disconnect the feed to the track and see if it works - if you have anything across the track (lit wagon or coach, a wired buffer stop for example) those can affect it,

• RMweb Premium

Another way to check if it is working is if you have the power to the track applied, accidentally touch both running rails with the back of your hand and see how far you leap across the room.

Guess how I found that one out!!!

Disconnect the feed to the track and see if it works - if you have anything across the track (lit wagon or coach, a wired buffer stop for example) those can affect it,

Disconnect it - as in have no power going to the track? Or am I being thick? How would that work?

Disconnect it - as in have no power going to the track? Or am I being thick? How would that work?

It works by detecting a load, if the load disappears it switches on therefore  by disconnecting one of the feeds to the track the unit if working okay it will think there is a fault and try to "clean it" the same as a loco becoming dead on the track - the light should come on.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

As a follow up to this topic, does anyone know if you can use the Gaugemaster HF track cleaners with common return wiring across multiple controllers? 

Many thanks,

Steve

Yes, I've used a single track HF1 and two Relcos with common return for three decades on my extensive loft layout. The instructions state:- 'Any common return must be done after the HF track terminals and never on the controller side.' 

They are extremely effective at keeping things running and this can be demonstrated by fitting switches to their 16v power source so that the difference can readily be noticed between them being off and on. Of course they don't remove the need for normal cleaning, but they do vastly reduce the frequency of it and the risk of damage to scenic items and wiring. My loft layout endures many lengthy periods of inactivity so I've plenty of experience dealing with the dust and deposits when restarting, as I've been doing recently. I do have track cleaning wagons, but its the HF cleaners that enable the locos to move those around in the first place, and to move other trains so as to get access! 

The only problems I've experienced with them seems to be linked to a track occupancy detection module that requires a separate 12 volt supply to also share the common return. I needed to employ a number of diodes on a mimic module to get the panel lights working satisfactorily but now I realise no Relco will light when switched to this track. I'll experiment more but I may reluctantly need to replace it with a non track-linked detector as Gaugemaster do state that 'Any devices connected to the track such as lighting, sound devices or other electronic equipment will cause the unit to shut down'.   

Edited by Broadway Clive