Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918

BigLars

It is time to share some progress of the RR I have been working on. The Corps of Canadian Railway Troops[/size] - Europe 1918. It is a show display to be used in North America.

The build was partially inspired two builds on this web site.

Up the line-1918

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1344-up-the-line-1918/

Ferme du Pont wdlr-1918-0-14

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/10888-ferme-du-pont-wdlr-1918-0-14/

More photos please- It is Christmas

If there is interest I can post more pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice stuff - keep - it coming - I'm also doing a bit of WW1 railway building  but in a slightly larger scale..

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138684-gare-de-brindille/?hl=%2Bgare+%2Bde+%2Bbrindille

Gilbert, I went to visit your post and got inspiration. If you have any dimensions for the height of the hospital wagon could you please share. 

• 2 months later...

Time to check in. 

Not a lot of modeling time lately. Some progress creating 3D trench A frames for loads as well as metal prefabricated ties. 

A number of kits are inbound or in progress. I was finally able to acquire a Wrightlines Baldwin 4-6-0 that was built (still looking for kits). The Baldwin will be carefully taken apart to add DCC / Sound and a keepalive chips.  A quick picture of the Baldwin before it gets modified. 

56242762_2309875279032895_797369637804179456_o.jpg

55833024_2309875349032888_6431028323857465344_o.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Progress has been slow as a result of a new job and the associated travel. I have been able to start to build and paint some PLM figures and kits. Here are a  couple of dozen of the close to 200 figures I need to paint. They still need to go through a final screening for errors and then weathering. 

67404979_2501897229830698_6454801783884611584_o.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

The advance painting of the details will help me complete the next 8 feet of layout quickly when the modules are built.  

I have pushed hard and painted 77 PLM figures in the last month  

Additionally I have finished well as over 500 details from many vendors such as Barrels, crate, duckboards, a frames, shells etc.

Here are all the figures grouped together. 

67699282_2528479430505811_7541364686558593024_n.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

6 hours ago, Father Dougal said:

Very impressive amount of figure painting.

more photos please.

Dougal

Thank you Father Dougal. 

Are you looking of photo's of the individual figures or when I place them in scenes on the layout? 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

One of the reasons I have pushed so hard on this project are the stories I get sent to me. 
This was posted on another site. 

My grandfather and his brother were both in the Canadian Railway corps. My grandfather was wounded in the lower abdomen by a shell splinter...his brother carried him back to an aid station were he was pronounced dead. His brother insisted they keep working on him, he was revived and patched-up enough to be sent back to a real hospital. He ended up with intestinal gangrene but somehow managed to survive( no antibiotics in those days) and was invalidated out and sent back to Canada. I still remember the time I first saw the golf-ball sized divot in his abdomen and he told me just that he had been wounded. A few years later he gave me the piece of shrapnel( or so he claimed it to be)....but he never went into details about his wounding. A second cousin researched it about ten years ago and told me then.

Cheers

Gene

My reply was:

Gene,

Thanks for the story. I am posting a picture for you. If you have a picture of your Grandfather and his brother I can try to get figures that look similar. Please share any other information you might have.

wounded.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Next Friday will be my first public showing of the concept for my display railroad. I will not take any modules, but I will take a number of models, my Pizza layout, and the start of the video pieces of the layout. I will be running at least two screens off of a PC, one with a 300 page slide show, one with the movie "They shall not grow old", and possibly a third showing actual footage of WW1 trains running. Here are two screens with display in a test mode. 2019101315472_72390035_2661704187183334_

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

We have a strong connection to the Canadian Engineers locally, as in WW2 they left from Newhaven on the ill-advised and disastrous Dieppe raid. In both World Wars many Canadians were posted to Seaford and the surrounding area prior to going across the Channel. There is the grave in our town cemetery of Lieutenant J.C.Shepley, Canadian Engineers and the Canadians lost in the Dieppe raid are commemorated with a memorial at Newhaven. When I first posted a picture of the memorial, I was contacted by the webmaster of the Canadian Military Engineers Association and asked for permission to use my photos. You can find my photos and the Colonel's contact details at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/25933525/in/album/515827

Lieutenant Shipley's WW1 grave is below.

Military grave Lt Joseph Gore Shepley Canadian Army Seaford Cemetery E Sussex 21 3 2014.jpg

• Like 3

Phil, thank you for the post. 

I have been straying a bit to do some equipment from other armies. The stuff was captured and used all the time. 

First up is a German Deutz Locomotive. 

It is a 3d printed shell from shapeways https://www.shapeways.com/product/KUKMLSYGV/b-1-43-deutz-loco-2a?li=shop-results&optionId=17016791 and a custom drive combining 3d printing and operating motor, gears and wheels. The drive is from Mark Clark in the UK https://www.locosnstuff.com/.

The 3d print is not as fine as it could be but I can live with it using the 3 foot rule. 

2019113115030_Duetz.jpg

• Like 2