Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Oh I don't know, you're making better progress than me!  And I spotted what looks like a DC4, C130, Electra combo under the boards!

1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Oh I don't know, you're making better progress than me!  And I spotted what looks like a DC4, C130, Electra combo under the boards!

DC-6 (what if) RAF C-130J, USN P-3 Orion.

Cheers :) 

My mum and dad visited.  They brought an old box which contained a lot of junk and...

A CR Pug!  I haven’t seen it for years and it runs smoothly!  It also runs at low speed! 

The box box also contained cows! 

I’ve also weathered the other Crab...

we we had a lovely day at the GCR Leicester :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

I’ve painted the Pug black and also been doing some random projects such as adding vac pipes to a Brake van and the cattle van that wasn’t fitted...

This is what I’m aiming for with the Pug... I’ve ordered a Cambrian 2 plank wagon from eBay which I’ll use to create a makeshift tender.

It doesn’t appear that any Pugs made it to Stranraer but...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=caledonian+pug+56031&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=7AP_euGGv49McM:

Towards 21:30 the station is busy.  

The UP N.Irishman prepares for its 22:00 hrs departure with Jubilee power.

The Stranraer-Larne Boat Train (T.C Newcastle) will depart at 21:30 hrs.

The Local DMU ticks over in the Bay whilst the Hunslet readies the 21:42 XP UP Parcels...

The ‘pug’ is Very lost.

Its lost its colourful livery (much to my daughters dislike and gained some extra coal bunker capacity as per 56027..

I need to paint the gauges and add paint to the pipe work.  It will stand in to assist stock when the layout is running before the Hunslet...

That also opens the door to A Hornby 2P...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by danstercivicman
More info
  • Like 7

Pacific power comes to Stranraer...

Sadly the Britannia’s were after the Port Road closed as they worked the line via Ayr... This loco (tender drive) is intended to be my donor for the Golden Arrow loco body (still to arrive).  However, it runs great and I really like it!

I have been able to carry out the tender modification but I have not been able to paint the crew yet.  It’s got the red headboard as these ran the services south of Carlisle from what I can tell...

More progress on the ‘pug’..

7807CB5F-281B-43AC-BC64-68548F0EDA20.jpeg

1FE229D9-0B2A-4D64-8B81-6B91E005D0B4.jpeg

E69D889E-8D03-480D-A82A-2B5AEA1BA6A5.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I remember 70025 from her Canton days, so the thought of heavy weathering appalls me; needs must of course.  

Don't forget that a steam locomotive needs to be taken out of service every 10 working days for boiler washout, which takes about 48 hours.  There is a very good British Transport Information film online describing this process on a Standard Class 5MT at Patricroft, worth a watch and a reminder of just what was involved in running a steam railway.  This can be used as a very convenient excuse for duplication of your locos or for buying more in general, as if one was ever needed...

This is developing into a layout with a lot of character and a very strong sense of location, both things of which I very highly approve.  I only ever once passed through Stranraer, off an evening Larne boat in the summer of '61 when I was 9; we stayed in a guest house overnight and were off up the coast in the morning, but you have awakened some memories!  The weather on both days was sunny and flat calm, and with good visibility the crossing was magnificent.  Father's impatience to get on the road in the morning meant I only have fleeting memories of the railway operation, but there seemed to be plenty of activity.  

If you ever have a 100E Ford Prefect on the layout, perhaps you could paint it grey and give it OBO 914 number plates in honour of this fleeting glimpse and gone forever...

• Like 2

On 24/04/2019 at 14:15, The Johnster said:

I remember 70025 from her Canton days, so the thought of heavy weathering appalls me; needs must of course.  

Don't forget that a steam locomotive needs to be taken out of service every 10 working days for boiler washout, which takes about 48 hours.  There is a very good British Transport Information film online describing this process on a Standard Class 5MT at Patricroft, worth a watch and a reminder of just what was involved in running a steam railway.  This can be used as a very convenient excuse for duplication of your locos or for buying more in general, as if one was ever needed...

This is developing into a layout with a lot of character and a very strong sense of location, both things of which I very highly approve.  I only ever once passed through Stranraer, off an evening Larne boat in the summer of '61 when I was 9; we stayed in a guest house overnight and were off up the coast in the morning, but you have awakened some memories!  The weather on both days was sunny and flat calm, and with good visibility the crossing was magnificent.  Father's impatience to get on the road in the morning meant I only have fleeting memories of the railway operation, but there seemed to be plenty of activity.  

If you ever have a 100E Ford Prefect on the layout, perhaps you could paint it grey and give it OBO 914 number plates in honour of this fleeting glimpse and gone forever...

Classix do one... what shade of grey?  I’ve ordered one and will repaint it :) 

EDIT- Oh no I’ve realised it’s a Ford Prefect 100E... oops 

• RMweb Gold

The lighter of the two shades Ford did in those days; BR unfitted grey is in the ball park.  GB sticker to right of rear number plate, Welsh flag to left, and enamel AA badge centre front bumper.  Seats red. 

• Like 1

The Jubilee will sit at the platform end to provide train heating for the sleeping passengers who can remain in their cabins until 6:25am. The rest can disembark and wander around for abit. 

The BG is therefore on the tail of the train so it can be removed and taken forward for unloading by the Hunslet. 

4F08EE81-8751-47AD-9681-7047BA3667A8.jpeg

41ED2B28-D0F8-4226-B800-1669D13B9C35.jpeg

71296A2A-EBDA-49A2-AFA8-292E24168855.jpeg