Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

46 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

Sometimes you need a visitor from further afield...

Ivatt 4MT on the milk train!

Kingmoor did have Ivatt 4MTs from the middle of 1960. I've not heard of any making it to Stranraer, but you never know!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pH said:

Kingmoor did have Ivatt 4MTs from the middle of 1960. I've not heard of any making it to Stranraer, but you never know!

Yes it’s a bit of a stretch- I can’t find any working the Port Road.  They did work the Langholm Branch though... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

View from the Caledonian Princess.

44789 ready to leave with the Newcastle Service.

40568 2P ready to leave with a Port Road local :) 

Some chimneys have appeared (not finished) 

C56C3B46-060C-425D-8F28-522A3190CC18.jpeg

4C4F9F24-9976-4104-893E-89131F8CAE89.jpeg

That water lapping round the harbour wall looks super realistic.  What's your secret???  There's no water on West Park, but i've always wanted to create a harbour scene on day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, turtlebah said:

That water lapping round the harbour wall looks super realistic.  What's your secret???  There's no water on West Park, but i've always wanted to create a harbour scene on day.

It looks good from afar but there are better on RMWEB.  It’s toilet roll (used sparingly) with pva.  Then painted with poster paints.  Then pva clear shiny to seal and several coats of yacht varnish! 

I need to do several more layers of the varnish! 

• Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, turtlebah said:

You could do a branch to Stourport running services to West Park? 

On 02/06/2020 at 18:38, 26power said:

This picture on ebay is a different angle, I think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193494164980?ul_noapp=true

In the foreground it looks like some sort of walkway on the "off side" of the bay platform?

Yes that’s correct.  It’s from a slightly earlier period but there was a walkway on that side in some photos. Seems quite unusual

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

I’ve finally got round to painting the life buoy holders :) 

Wonder if they should be the other way around, i.e. with the life buoy facing towards anyone approaching the dockside?   As they are at present someone wanting to use one has to go around to the dockside to retrieve it, and is therefore maybe in some danger of falling in the water themselves, especially if they were rushing in an emergency.  Yeah, I know you have painted the life buoys now!

7 hours ago, 26power said:

Wonder if they should be the other way around, i.e. with the life buoy facing towards anyone approaching the dockside?   As they are at present someone wanting to use one has to go around to the dockside to retrieve it, and is therefore maybe in some danger of falling in the water themselves, especially if they were rushing in an emergency.  Yeah, I know you have painted the life buoys now!

I did consider that.  There was one I can see on the side of the steps structure. I couldn’t find any other dockside pictures.  They will be easy to turn/place further back 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

Unfortunately the impact of a child on the layout can be interesting! 

Who left the gate open then?!

:-)

Paul.

19 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

19 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

The farmer apparently...  I had to explain that it’s not s farm but a lairage... bit of a technical

so we’ve settled on it being a house for cows!  Well more of a hotel where they can stay before catching the train. 

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 4

Some normal services are resumed.  

A Compound gets ready to pilot a Stanier 5MT along the Port Road with the Newcastle service.

Lids are being added to the station canopy.  Scale scene paper will go on top.  I realise I need lighting now.  

I either need to add some station station lights or another ceiling light.  I think station lights would look nicer.  I’ll prob use some battery ones at first.

BAFEC091-6ADB-4F7D-BB1B-2DF7266A8EE1.jpeg

978D2DCB-F9FF-40F8-A924-1EC72EB42C03.jpeg

E8C56D87-806A-4617-A4D2-F9DF2138213E.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Presumably the horse has been rounded up then.

5 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

Yup it’s back in the yard! 

Being as it's a Scots layout, had I been quicker-witted I'd have called it a cuddy not a horse!

As in someone with a sore throat saying "I'm feeling a wee cuddy" (a little ho(a)rse...).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...