Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

• RMweb Gold

Shame about the varnish mate. I've had a brush with varnish myself, no pun intended. I spent about 100 hours building a Hasegawa Lancaster "Dambuster", and I mean I went to town with etches for the interior and bomb bays etc. Painted it, weathered it, put the decals on and it looked FAB!!! Then I sealed the decals with humbrol matt varnish and the wings went white!.......sob..sob ..sob. I still haven't replaced the decals yet to finish it.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Shame about the varnish mate. I've had a brush with varnish myself, no pun intended. I spent about 100 hours building a Hasegawa Lancaster "Dambuster", and I mean I went to town with etches for the interior and bomb bays etc. Painted it, weathered it, put the decals on and it looked FAB!!! Then I sealed the decals with humbrol matt varnish and the wings went white!.......sob..sob ..sob. I still haven't replaced the decals yet to finish it.

Regards Lez. 

Oh no!  I too had a terrible experience with humbrol varnish.  My plane went a weird yellow colour!   

I think what I failed to do this time is to apply a cost of clear shiny pva first then the varnish on top. 

It can wait- I’ve started the station building instead :) 

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 1

We have a station building!

it does have a platform side but I can’t get to it to photograph easily...

It needs some of the rough edges covering and also a ramp adding but it  does at least hopefully say ‘Stranraer’.

Colour wise I’ve tried to keep the Glasgow and south Western theme although the building was probably red brown colour.

I have to soak several years so it is a compromise.

Chimneys next!! 

796D06EA-9783-4543-BBC0-6ED2FE3EBCD6.jpeg

F6B8C448-9CAC-42B1-B26C-0BBA8337982F.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, danstercivicman said:

Any tips on avoiding the floating building effect? 

A great start, home made brickpaper?

Floating buildings - I am probably the last person to comment based on the lack of scenery on my layout.  However I have placed important structures on cardboard bases where the scatter materials were put in place prior to planting the buildings.  There are some pictures on an old Blog Post which shows the general idea.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/7575-the-loco-yard/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Any tips on avoiding the floating building effect? 

Recess the bottom of the walls into the baseboard surface.  I usually arrange to cut the footprint of the building into the cork underlay, but if you can't do that you may be able to cut pavements to match the building's outline, and glue them to the baseboard surface?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 31A said:

Recess the bottom of the walls into the baseboard surface.  I usually arrange to cut the footprint of the building into the cork underlay, but if you can't do that you may be able to cut pavements to match the building's outline, and glue them to the baseboard surface?

Yes, I will have to build up the ground.  Maybe I should have planned the building first??? Hmm :) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Silver Sidelines said:

A great start, home made brickpaper?

Floating buildings - I am probably the last person to comment based on the lack of scenery on my layout.  However I have placed important structures on cardboard bases where the scatter materials were put in place prior to planting the buildings.  There are some pictures on an old Blog Post which shows the general idea.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/7575-the-loco-yard/

Thats what I should have done...

It’s  Scalescene Clapboard Paper.  I’m mixing eras.  The clapboard appears to be 1960’s when the trim went BR Scottish Region Blue.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

It’s  Scalescene Clapboard Paper.  I’m mixing eras.  The clapboard appears to be 1960’s when the trim went BR Scottish Region Blue.  

Thanks Dan, tjhat explains a lot.  I had missed the fact that the old brickwork had been 'protected' with boardng.

Cheers Ray

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Thanks Dan, tjhat explains a lot.  I had missed the fact that the old brickwork had been 'protected' with boardng.

Cheers Ray

Yes, in hindsight the brick paper would have meant disguising the joints between building sections easier but I’m planning to use copydex to fill the gaps then paint it. 

2 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Yes, in hindsight the brick paper would have meant disguising the joints between building sections easier but I’m planning to use copydex to fill the gaps then paint it. 

Perhaps the boarding also has joints and you could paste a patch printed on thin paper across the gap with some staggered joints?

Ray

1 hour ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Perhaps the boarding also has joints and you could paste a patch printed on thin paper across the gap with some staggered joints?

Ray

I’m gonna add a small 2-3 course of bricks at the base. 

In other news- cleaning out the loft yielded- 

clear PVA!

Silver Tay smoke deflectors (I’d just ordered a new set)...

A set of steps!

Must tidy the loft more often! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

I’m gonna add a small 2-3 course of bricks at the base. 

In other news- cleaning out the loft yielded- 

clear PVA!

Silver Tay smoke deflectors (I’d just ordered a new set)...

A set of steps!

Must tidy the loft more often! 

image.jpg

Two different type of smoke deflector I see - which one is correct for the Brit you're modelling?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Airfix station definitely but perhaps it came with the platform kit.

Ray

Ah, now you've made me look it up! The answer is the "Kiosk and Platform Steps" kits:

https://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/series-trackside/kiosks-and-platform-steps-p-376.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5 C said:

Two different type of smoke deflector I see - which one is correct for the Brit you're modelling?

70025 is going to become 70010 Owen of Glendower.

(Sorry to all WR loco fans)

That has the late LMR deflectors.

The other original style deflectors need handrails adding then with some repairs my kit built Clan will run :) 

• Like 1

On 09/04/2020 at 23:57, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez. 

Just realised the Hasegawa Lanc with etches- that must be some kit!!

Does anyone know where you can get these brass bits? 

I assume front is whistle and rear and rear are safety valves? 

1423E6CC-9520-4ACE-8B66-13073B538790.jpeg

On 09/04/2020 at 23:57, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez. 

Just realised the Hasegawa Lanc with etches- that must be some kit!!

Does anyone know where you can get these brass bits? 

I assume front is whistle and rear and rear are safety valves? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Gibson or comet or even dragon models. If it's a Hornby then peters spares. 

I have a conversion kit for an Avro Manchester using either an Airfix or Revell donor Plus interior and exterior etches. I usually build aircraft models on holiday usually a caravan in some bit of the west country or Wales. I build kits and she cross stitches if the weather is bad. If not we go off to beauty spots, historic sites, etc. She's a very good photographer far better than I am even if it's my camera. I don't use it for that sort of photography, I use it for astrophotography, she has a much better eye for composition that I do and she takes very good photos of the shore line, mountains and sunsets, some of which have been blown up and framed. She's a very good artist as well. I'm a lucky chap in that respect we sort of bounce off each other creatively. 25 years in May and we can't celebrate it at all, as you can imagine we are a little sad about that.        

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1