Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

4 hours ago, colmflanagan said:

Hi,

I just found this topic, it's a very interesting project. Very few modellers have "had a go" at Stranraer. Given that it's an isolated location and the fact that the Town station closed in 1965, and the service was pretty sparse, the principal trains running often in winter darkness very early in the morning or late at night, that's not surprising.

I do still have a "Stranraer" on my present layout "The Ballycrochan Line" using buildings I built before for a previous layout, "The Stranraer Coleraine and Donaghadee Railway" which existed from 2011 -2018. Two of the stations in the title are in Northern Ireland, which is where I live, but Stranraer is our closest UK mainland station!

You might find it interesting -it is in the "Irish Railways Group" which you'll find under "european" headings on RM Web because the group also contains material about railways in the South of Ireland also. (As is my current railway, which has some more pics of the actual station building).

I modelled the landward side of the station, and left out the part which sticks out on the quayside beyond the station buildings, as I wanted to concentrate on the ferry and its facilities!

Colm Flanagan

531005454_clan126dumfries.JPG.73ce6623ec9a5dd335df57c9a2877310.JPG

1982448503_3trainsreadytoleave.JPG.78a86ba27783f512c986947567c5b7f1.JPG

Thank you for your kind comments and your inspirational layouts :) 

I will check out those threads.  I have spent many hours looking through your original one and the ferry building thread! 

Glad to see the Princess is still going strong :) 

Do you have the builders details (for the ferry) you could PM?  I only need the last 20cm of the ship building...  I’ll put the last 20cm by the linkspan.  I can’t have anymore of it as it is above the loft hatch!

Is that a clan in Platform 3?

Best

Dan 

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 1

22:06 sees the delayed ‘Northern Irishman’ begin it’s journey to Euston.

The Clan will be changed for a waiting Class 45 or Britannia at Carlisle and I think a buffet car attached at Crewe for breakfast? 

Arriving in London for around 7:30 am.

The ECS from the Carlisle train is being shunted into this siding. 

That move will allow the 5MT to depart to the shed. 

E35CB8D7-116F-4860-A430-DCE069CE7F89.jpeg

A02F1498-9B9D-4421-96A1-E5928B815E19.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Dan,

First of all, yes indeed it is a "Clan"; I've two of them, one the relatively recent Hornby one  and the other a kit/r-t-r one based on an old model Hornby Britannia.  I've also a couple of "Britannia's" one of which "Lord Rowallane"  was photographed on a rare occasion shunting the coaches of the sleeper at the Town station.

The builder of my ship was one Carl Fisher, at the time he lived in Scotland but he has moved and I have had no contact with him now for years, so can't help with an address.

I attach a pic of the "Caley P" at her new berth - the station is at right angles now on the new layout, but I have a much better diorama behind her than before.  Colm

1112189100_stranraerfromvillages.jpg.21dbb1a4dea5369e91a18c07f95c1994.jpg

• Like 9

Nice pictures :) 

I like the linkspan area!  The ship looks magnificent!

I’ve got the Hornby Clan (horrendously expensive but brilliant).

I’ve also got a conversion kit for the Old Hornby tender Britannia chassis.  That needs some expert help to fix a chassis problem.

I’m also renumbering 70025 to 70010. Don’t tell the Johnster but I’ve pulled off the deflectors to fit the new Silver Tay ones...

The tender will power both locos as it’s the same I think for both. 

Today I have run:

Mogul on Fish

Stanier 5MT on Parcels

D95A2D11-1A08-41C0-8A40-B6381D8583F2.jpeg

DA9ECD79-DB0E-4078-A65E-D2F1D088AE1F.jpeg

FBC315C6-0BB3-4118-9DBE-57E168C91163.jpeg

AF7701FC-D253-4866-9586-E6C79237B015.jpeg

• Like 6

On 14/04/2020 at 22:08, danstercivicman said:

22:06 sees the delayed ‘Northern Irishman’ begin it’s journey to Euston.

The Clan will be changed for a waiting Class 45 or Britannia at Carlisle and I think a buffet car attached at Crewe for breakfast? 

Arriving in London for around 7:30 am.

The ECS from the Carlisle train is being shunted into this siding. 

That move will allow the 5MT to depart to the shed. 

E35CB8D7-116F-4860-A430-DCE069CE7F89.jpeg

A02F1498-9B9D-4421-96A1-E5928B815E19.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lovely shots.

Edited by turtlebah
  • Like 1

If you haven't already seen it, this is in Ernie's photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/46799757761/in/album-72157689678658815/

At first glance it looks like just another Black Five drifting past the shed on its way to the Harbour with a Class 1. But look at the signal arm poking out from behind the telegraph pole/lampost - I think it's actually ECS being propelled the best part of a mile back up the hill to be disposed of at Town.

Interesting move if I'm right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could well be right. I’ve just checked in the1960 sectional appendix and propelling of ECS from the harbour was permitted. Interestingly, propelling of loaded passenger was also permitted from Harbour Jn to both Town and Harbour under specified conditions.  (Thus allowing trains to serve both stations more easily.)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Wheatley said:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/46799757761/in/album-72157689678658815/

At first glance it looks like just another Black Five drifting past the shed on its way to the Harbour with a Class 1. But look at the signal arm poking out from behind the telegraph pole/lampost - I think it's actually ECS being propelled the best part of a mile back up the hill to be disposed of at Town.

Yes, it was done. In 'BackTrack' for December 2001, there's a 10-page article on the 'Clans'. (Relevant to the current topic, there's also an article on the loss of the 'Princess Victoria'.)

The 'Clan' article describes one of the class taking 16 coaches on the down 'Northern Irishman' from Carlisle to Stranraer, with a Stanier 5 as pilot from Dumfries to Stranraer Harbour Junction. After unloading at the Harbour, the Clan reversed the 16 coaches up to the junction, then took them forward to the Town station to allow passengers not travelling onwards by boat a bit more sleep.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Yup I think your right.

It was common practice from what I can tell.  Kinda makes sense as the ECS has to be backed into the coach sidings.  

2 hours ago, pH said:

Yes, it was done. In 'BackTrack' for December 2001, there's a 10-page article on the 'Clans'. (Relevant to the current topic, there's also an article on the loss of the 'Princess Victoria'.)

The 'Clan' article describes one of the class taking 16 coaches on the down 'Northern Irishman' from Carlisle to Stranraer, with a Stanier 5 as pilot from Dumfries to Stranraer Harbour Junction. After unloading at the Harbour, the Clan reversed the 16 coaches up to the junction, then took them forward to the Town station to allow passengers not travelling onwards by boat a bit more sleep.

Interesting :) 

Thank you for the info :) 

10 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Interesting as well that there appears to have been a Hunslet kept at the junction. 

9 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Could well be right. I’ve just checked in the1960 sectional appendix and propelling of ECS from the harbour was permitted. Interestingly, propelling of loaded passenger was also permitted from Harbour Jn to both Town and Harbour under specified conditions.  (Thus allowing trains to serve both stations more easily.)

Paul.

Thank you :)

My rule 1 ‘Port Patrick’ service would therefore work!  

• Like 1

Well the sea has developed into a disaster!  I had a few odd patches so I created some oil slick/spills...but the PVA has decided to go opaque!  Nightmare!

Meanwhile a STD 4MT-T is on the milk train this morning.

Chimneys have started to appear and the Hunslet is moving ECS

1AE8A44F-E4F2-492B-ABD3-DDE2392F8045.jpeg

4BA13D35-9FAD-4765-92DB-81A5F52B54BF.jpeg

479D6160-B773-4E66-A09D-758EABF7C61B.jpeg

9806C984-FC12-4E44-A40D-AB73E092E30C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Early morning can mean only one thing.

A Clan arrives with the DOWN ‘Northern Irishman’.

Sleeping passengers at the front behind the BG.  Resting passengers on the seats to the rear.  

A Britannia hauled it to Carlisle where the Restaurant car attached to the rear at Crewe and a CCT were detached.  The passengers have a couple more hours of rest before the Caledonian Princess sets sail for Larne.  

My far side point rodding has buckled with the heat/cold so I need to add some compensation gaps or hire a railway maintenance firm to look after my p/way! 

9D9AC703-1ED6-4FD8-B6FC-7E1947E6ECB0.jpeg

537C4597-7DF0-4B2C-A21C-81DA75981F47.jpeg

1D01F37A-E153-4ECE-9E25-53A487CD9B16.jpeg

7C0200A6-3F34-44BD-B675-29A88681414A.jpeg

• Like 4