Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

• RMweb Gold

Presumably you could, since the drawings are provided online.  Scillonian is a little small for the Larne trade, though.  A typical Irish Sea ferry of this period was around 250'-300' long and 40-50 in the beam.  Twin screw diesel, or steam turbine, and capable of about 16 knots.  British Railways' pre-corporate livery was black hull with yellow line, white superstructure, and 'buff' funnel with black top, and unlike the railway stock, they were always kept very clean and smart!

The modern ferries are much bigger, but not much faster!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Presumably you could, since the drawings are provided online.  Scillonian is a little small for the Larne trade, though.  A typical Irish Sea ferry of this period was around 250'-300' long and 40-50 in the beam.  Twin screw diesel, or steam turbine, and capable of about 16 knots.  British Railways' pre-corporate livery was black hull with yellow line, white superstructure, and 'buff' funnel with black top, and unlike the railway stock, they were always kept very clean and smart!

This would be better scaled up- but it’s just a plan.  Looks like balsa wood etc to build eek!! 

https://www.vintagemodelplans.com/products/sea-ferry-semi-scale-1-196-28-m-v-scottish-coaster-full-size-printed-plan-article-for-radio-control

16 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

The shedbash blog has some listings at various dates from 1947 - 1964.

See Here: http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/04/stranraer-1947-1964.html

Regards

Ian

I'd be careful with some of the information on that page - there are errors. For example, look at the shed code for 1965 in the 'Shed Profile' at the top of the page, and the information for 45707 is wrong - name and shed allocation on the date given (it was transferred from Polmadie to Corkerhill in the previous month).

Having said that, there is some interesting stuff there. A Crewe North engine, 5690, there in 1947. At that time, it would almost certainly have been the engine from the previous night's "Northern Irishman". Crewe North engines worked it into Stranraer, whether all the way from Crewe, or only from Carlisle as part of a Crewe diagram, I don't know. Some Crewe North Jubilees were fitted with brackets on the cabside for fitting portable tablet catchers for use on the Port Road.

And from 1956 onwards, a Dalry Road (64C) Black Five on every occasion. That would have been off the daily freight service between Edinburgh and Stranraer introduced under British Railways.  

15 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

It does indeed, I’ve used it to get some good numbers to renumber locos to.  

I’ve got the transfers just need to start...

Carlisle Kingmoor also supplied motive power-that’s where the Clan and laterly Britannia’s came from.

Corkerhill and Hurlford also appear good choices and my STD 4 tank was Beattock based.

I'm not sure how strictly you want to stick to actual allocations, or how much your layout will be 'Stranraer themed', so feel free to ignore.

I don't think Hurlford engines would have appeared at Stranraer other than very rarely. In the 1960s, trains over the Port Road would have had engines from Kingmoor, Dumfries, or Stranraer. Trains from the north would have had engines from Corkerhill, Ayr, the one a day from Dalry Road, or Stranraer. Anything else would have been unusual - specials, engines borrowed by these sheds etc. I would be very surprised if a tank engine from Beattock would ever have made it to Stranraer. 

(However, the NB Loco worksplate off a K1 was apparently found in a field beside the Port Road. No explanation given.)

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, pH said:

I'd be careful with some of the information on that page - there are errors. For example, look at the shed code for 1965 in the 'Shed Profile' at the top of the page, and the information for 45707 is wrong - name and shed allocation on the date given (it was transferred from Polmadie to Corkerhill in the previous month).

Having said that, there is some interesting stuff there. A Crewe North engine, 5690, there in 1947. At that time, it would almost certainly have been the engine from the previous night's "Northern Irishman". Crewe North engines worked it into Stranraer, whether all the way from Crewe, or only from Carlisle as part of a Crewe diagram, I don't know. Some Crewe North Jubilees were fitted with brackets on the cabside for fitting portable tablet catchers for use on the Port Road.

And from 1956 onwards, a Dalry Road (64C) Black Five on every occasion. That would have been off the daily freight service between Edinburgh and Stranraer introduced under British Railways.  

I'm not sure how strictly you want to stick to actual allocations, or how much your layout will be 'Stranraer themed', so feel free to ignore.

I don't think Hurlford engines would have appeared at Stranraer other than very rarely. In the 1960s, trains over the Port Road would have had engines from Kingmoor, Dumfries, or Stranraer. Trains from the north would have had engines from Corkerhill, Ayr, the one a day from Dalry Road, or Stranraer. Anything else would have been unusual - specials, engines borrowed by these sheds etc. I would be very surprised if a tank engine from Beattock would ever have made it to Stranraer. 

(However, the NB Loco worksplate off a K1 was apparently found in a field beside the Port Road. No explanation given.)

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

Yes I did think the Beattock Tank engine was pushing it... :) it must have been ‘borrowed’.

Interesting stuff- so that Stranraer Edinburgh BR freight ran twice daily.  I hadn’t thought of that-did it link via Glasgow?

The Crabs 42919 and 42789 crop up in books.  At least if I can get Scottish or Carlisle shedded engines that would be a start :) 

7 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Interesting stuff- so that Stranraer Edinburgh BR freight ran twice daily.  I hadn’t thought of that-did it link via Glasgow?

Yes, Stranraer men took the train to Johnstone and swapped footplates with the Dalry Road crew bringing the train from Edinburgh. The route from Edinburgh would have been through the south side of Glasgow.

You have a PM.

• RMweb Premium

What a lovely evocative film .  Just transported me back to 1965 .  The Western bus at Glen Luce, glowing in red and cream. Why are buses so hideously coloured these days? Even the soundtrack 100 pipers, the Campbells are coming, took me back to the days of the STV testcard . Fair brought a tear to the eye. Scotland as I remembered it as a very small boy .  Thanks for posting it. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

It is a fantastic record!  Dirty Black Fives, Class 126 DMU, pesky overpriced Heljan Hunslet :)

I like the sixties attitude to backing the ferry up with the door open and passengers on the car deck...

Before the loading ramp is even secured passengers are disembarking!!!!

Glad you enjoyed it!  I have ordered a Western Bedford OD bus based purely on seeing it in this and I agree things looked a lot better then.   In fact the remodelled station is hideous!

Did you spot the Shell 14 ton tank wagon parked in the bay platform....  Health and Safety!!!! 

Must have been been right at the end of the timeframe as the train is only three coaches although I guess that's the afternoon train rather than a nighttime one.

The goods traffic is fairly extensive :) 

Edited by danstercivicman
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the link, cracking film that! 

The bay platform always seems to have tanks in it in early 1970s photos too, empty fuel tanks for the ferries I'm guessing, discharged beyond the station then stored there awaiting collection perhaps? 

• Agree 1

I think that is the case.  It would be very unwise to have full ones next to the Station building especially as more people smoked!  Although it is diesel...

There are lots of later pictures of a grey building and ferry fuelling point on the far end road headshunt where the catch point is.  At present that’s my fish dock and I’ve seen pictures of large passenger boats moored that side! 

Now if only I can find a Hunslet for under a million!  

They need to price cap locos so a small loco never exceeds £50, a medium one £80 and a large one £100 :)  I’d call it the common loco policy :) 

I do accept that it costs to produce these things but £110 for a Hunslet...

Glas you enjoyed it.  It is amazing what was filmed then :) 

• Like 2

Not much to report...

An embankment has appeared :) 

I have also added some protection to prevent loco and stock accidents!!!  (Spot where the insulation ran out)...

73069 has begun its transition into 73079 and I have fixed the missing cab side window.

Anyone know of any crew figures for the 5MT and how to insert them?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Not much to report...

An embankment has appeared :) 

I have also added some protection to prevent loco and stock accidents!!!  (Spot where the insulation ran out)...

73069 has begun its transition into 73079 and I have fixed the missing cab side window.

I’ve added some crew-very basic..

Edited by danstercivicman
Crew added

On 10/02/2019 at 16:03, The Johnster said:

I’ve had a look on Colm’s thread who built Stranraer previously.  His ferry must be at least 4ft long!!! 

Hmmm. Hattons had some bargain Hunslets a couple of months back, only cheaper one now is a used one at £84 though.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/433849/Heljan_2521_PO02_Class_05_Hunslet_shunter_D2600_in_BR_green_with_wasp_stripes_Pre_owned_Like_ne/StockDetail.aspx

I agree about your pricing comments. (No connection, other than being a satisfied Hunslet owner; they run superbly!).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Brilliant film - thank you for the link

Ray

I stand completely corrected:

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/3696&rating=5

18:20 into the film the Hunslet can be seen in the Harbour station....

Eek!!! It did work there and did shunt :s

Edited by Silver Sidelines

Just now, Signaller69 said:

Hmmm. Hattons had some bargain Hunslets a couple of months back, only cheaper one now is a used one at £84 though.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/433849/Heljan_2521_PO02_Class_05_Hunslet_shunter_D2600_in_BR_green_with_wasp_stripes_Pre_owned_Like_ne/StockDetail.aspx

I agree about your pricing comments. (No connection, other than being a satisfied Hunslet owner; they run superbly!).

Crikey - I do know where my Hunslet is, that's another machine you could probably have on interim loan!!!   Why aren't I modelling the Port Road far end too???!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

I’ve had a look on Colm’s thread who built Stranraer previously.  His ferry must be at least 4ft long!!! 

Ships, even little ones, are big; even a Clyde Puffer, not impossible at Stranraer, is about a foot long in 4mm.  And a ferry has plenty of detail as well; lots of lifeboats!

Had a bit of a squiz online for Wikipedia photos for you but all seem to be of modern ferries or the ill-fated Princess Victoria (1953) as far as this route is concerned.  Princess Victoria will give you a general idea of what your ship would look like, but of course without the stern loading door that was held to be responsible for her demise.  There must be photos of suitable ferries that worked the route in the early 60s, though!

Your problem is that, while it is perfectly feasible to model the quay empty, which it was for a good bit of the time, the trains only turned up when the ferry was berthed, so you sort of have to include it even if only as part of your backscene.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1