Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Caledonian Princess was a pretty good size vessel!

And it still had silver service in the first class lounge in 1984.

My next journey was on Darnia - how to build a ship using only flat plates.

Foot passengers had to walk onto car deck and ascend very steep steps carrying their luggage.

What a come down . . .

Paul.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

And it still had silver service in the first class lounge in 1984.

My next journey was on Darnia - how to build a ship using only flat plates.

Foot passengers had to walk onto car deck and ascend very steep steps carrying their luggage.

What a come down . . .

Paul.

The ferry to Gozo from Malta was like that back in the day. It's better now they've at least come into the 50's these days but it's far from salubrious and the on board catering has a faint whiff of a soviet eastern european cafeteria but then you're barely on it for 20 mins.  The whole thing is a bit down at the heel last days of communism sort of depressing, the fact that the old russian signs are still on the bulkhead means it's probably  ex soviet. Anyway the helicopters are all russian so why would the ferries not be.  Soviet Russia had a bit of a soft spot for Malta I think they thought we were oppressed by the bigger capitalist west. We were not of course, we're just about as left and right wing as everybody else is but we were never oppressed, not since the British kicked out the French we haven't been. We were a protectorate not a colony.

Regards Lez.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What was there in real life?

No idea.

It wasn’t an area well photographed..but from what I can see some rather unusual shaped moorings. 

It’s also a been subject to many changes-the mooring method appears more elaborate as the years have gone by...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Dan, I presume you've seen these threads:

I found them not by searching here but by googling "Stranraer Caledonian Princess" and "Stranraer Harbour".

Hope this helps.

Yes, I’ve spent many hours on them :)

The Princess is around 1.2 metre long and +20cm wide!   It looks amazing! 

I think I will continue with my mooring plans and use doubles at the rear and front of the ferry.  There will be a spread of single moorings to provide flexibility to lesser ships like Trading coasters 

• Like 1

On 14/03/2020 at 22:01, danstercivicman said:

Not sure whether to add the double mooring points back? 

Hi,

if IRC all the mooring points in Oban (fishery pier, Railway Pier and North Pier) are double.  It allows more flexibilty for the mooring of the CalMac ferries as well as the fishing fleet and visiting vessels, especially when the weather turns nasty!

Roja

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

if IRC all the mooring points in Oban (fishery pier, Railway Pier and North Pier) are double.  It allows more flexibilty for the mooring of the CalMac ferries as well as the fishing fleet and visiting vessels, especially when the weather turns nasty!

Roja

I will mix the two types :) 

If I get a chance later I’ll take some pics 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A small point; all the lorries are facing inland as if they’ve just come off the ship, but it seems to me more likely that they would be facing towards the berth for most of the time, either waiting for the ship to arrive or for her to offload vehicles before the waitees can be called aboard.  Drivers will be hanging around somewhere having a chat, fag, cuppa, or some combination of those activities.  This isn’t like the other ferry ports in that there is no Customs presence here, and no fenced off area for cleared vehicles pr those to be examined; the service is within the UK border and things are therefore less formal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

A small point; all the lorries are facing inland as if they’ve just come off the ship, but it seems to me more likely that they would be facing towards the berth for most of the time, either waiting for the ship to arrive or for her to offload vehicles before the waitees can be called aboard.  Drivers will be hanging around somewhere having a chat, fag, cuppa, or some combination of those activities.  This isn’t like the other ferry ports in that there is no Customs presence here, and no fenced off area for cleared vehicles pr those to be examined; the service is within the UK border and things are therefore less formal. 

Hello,

It looks strange- it appears how they were parked up from the photographs:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/45/943/

https://scottishrtt.livejournal.com/3522.html

Stranraer appears to have been expanded over the years:

1930s aerial:

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/image/spw034387

Theres no link span in that image image which would have been added with the tragic Princess Victoria (R.I.P) I think.  My layout is set between that period and 1965...

Afterwards the site was extensively remodelled to allow for bigger ferries and then the car took over so there was provision for queuing traffic.  

The lorries at the pier end are receiving some goods from the parked wagons.  Most of the cars are waiting facing the link span and it’s a simple right turn for the waiting Milk tankers and Startrite truck onto the linkspan.  

Hope that helps :)

Best

Dan 

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You are clearly best advised to work from the photographic evidence.  I agree that the link span would not have been required until Princess Victoria's arrival; road vehicle loading and unloading would have been achieved with cranes and cargo nets, and restricted to cars or small vans, possibly touring caravans.  This was the method used at Fishguard in the early 60s, family hollys to Ireland had the Ford Prefect loaded on the cattle boat and delivered to Waterford in 1961 (we travelled Rosslare-Waterford on the train, hauled by a creditably clean Woolwich mogul which I recall running very smartly to tight timings) and onto the ferry as deck cargo in '63.

This means that there was no lorry traffic prior to Princess Victoria; freight would have to be offloaded and loaded on to a ship, and vice versa; the logistical advantage of Ro-Ro is clear.  The bulk of freight would have been routed through the larger ports, especially Liverpool and Glasgow, and to a lesser extent Heysham, and not by and large handled by railway company owned vessels.  The cattle boats came to the ferry ports and were largely railway owned.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, The Johnster said:

You are clearly best advised to work from the photographic evidence.  I agree that the link span would not have been required until Princess Victoria's arrival; road vehicle loading and unloading would have been achieved with cranes and cargo nets, and restricted to cars or small vans, possibly touring caravans.  This was the method used at Fishguard in the early 60s, family hollys to Ireland had the Ford Prefect loaded on the cattle boat and delivered to Waterford in 1961 (we travelled Rosslare-Waterford on the train, hauled by a creditably clean Woolwich mogul which I recall running very smartly to tight timings) and onto the ferry as deck cargo in '63.

This means that there was no lorry traffic prior to Princess Victoria; freight would have to be offloaded and loaded on to a ship, and vice versa; the logistical advantage of Ro-Ro is clear.  The bulk of freight would have been routed through the larger ports, especially Liverpool and Glasgow, and to a lesser extent Heysham, and not by and large handled by railway company owned vessels.  The cattle boats came to the ferry ports and were largely railway owned.

Indeed, here’s another prototype scene recreated- tractor on a flatbed!

45715 is less true to prototype I think 45714 or 45711 might be better :) 

Stranraer was the same before the linkspan- there was a fairly large mobile crane at the pier end.  I have plans to replicate it- the Dapol Dock crane just wasn’t quite right.

Sounds like a great deal of planning for the holidays :)

There was a boat train ferry used at Stranraer- a good picture on internet somewhere of it unloading.

I’ve had to do some mods to the footbridge.  Jubilees on platform 2 were taking the bridge for a ride with their domes! 

FF09266D-A2BA-4B82-846B-6EE600F90F00.jpeg

0135B755-817A-4C94-BBF6-EF3F58E49AEA.jpeg

30C31F06-AB52-4A6E-A449-78B513696A1C.jpeg

Missing info
  • Like 8

Not much going on tonight.  I’ve put yatch varnish on the sea bit and it’s very smelly!

A Mogul awaits its parcel working and the Glasgow DMU rattles away in Platform 2...

The Stanier summers in Platform 1.

The pink Cresta Estate is my daughters little car for the layout.  It prob carries a princess or something...

586492DA-026A-4128-8CB1-65D16805677F.jpeg

5E04C255-EB09-47C1-8FCF-8A5DAAB0118F.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

It was the closest to a Princess wagon I could find :) 

Apparently quite a rare car..

Quite a lot made. But they rusted away in about 7 years. So became rare very quickly.

Other rusting Vauxhall's were available. 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2020 at 14:39, danstercivicman said:

45715 is less true to prototype I think 45714 or 45711 might be better :) 

If you're just using the Jubilee on trains going out over the Port Road to Dumfries and Carlisle, 45715 would be the most appropriate of those three.

From its transfer to the Scottish Region in 1952 till it was withdrawn in 1962, 45711 was always a Glasgow engine, based at Polmadie and Corkerhill. It would have been seen at Stranraer, but on trains to and from Glasgow.

45714 and 45715 were both Kingmoor engines from 1936. 45714 moved to Carnforth in 1961, but 45715 stayed at Kingmoor for one more year, going to Bank Hall in 1962.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, pH said:

If you're just using the Jubilee on trains going out over the Port Road to Dumfries and Carlisle, 45715 would be the most appropriate of those three.

From its transfer to the Scottish Region in 1952 till it was withdrawn in 1962, 45711 was always a Glasgow engine, based at Polmadie and Corkerhill. It would have been seen at Stranraer, but on trains to and from Glasgow.

45714 and 45715 were both Kingmoor engines from 1936. 45714 moved to Carnforth in 1961, but 45715 stayed at Kingmoor for one more year, going to Bank Hall in 1962.

Thank you :)

That’s good to know.  Yes they would work to Glasgow- the daytime after bringing the boat train in then back to Carlisle in the night with the boat train.  Hadn’t thought of using them on other Glasgow services.

Kind regards 

Dan