Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

8 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I seem to do most of my work between May and October... no real enthusiasm for the layout in the winter months 

Life’s been far too busy of late which hasn’t helped... 

Yes sometimes the loft is too cold during the winter though.  

Most of the jobs left to do require fine skills or patience!  

I also need to get some wood to make the corner area scenic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All go tonight!

The Hunslet brings the cattle wagons back and into the siding.

The cows all line up ready for their trip to Castle Douglas or Dumfries :) 

The Lairage seems to be very popular with my daughter.  My son prefers the 0F which he thinks is Percy.  He also thinks the Clan is the Flying Scotsman!  

0AB975C6-FA8A-4EE6-B9C7-F90E28335843.jpeg

4D0F3487-F9D5-4AC4-906F-C91841B98435.jpeg

EDD3B984-9EE7-4E99-BB79-D0157AAD9797.jpeg

23166A5D-A5AE-4712-9B0D-8C42CEC5249A.jpeg

9D7A5DA7-718E-4312-94C0-86B97A03BB5C.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

Whilst work on Stranraer continues I have been busy planning my next project-  

Penzance 196-1964..

It will go under Stranraer and make full use of the loft space.  

Penzance.pdf 279.38 kB · 3 downloads

Another Cornish layout! Excellent!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, 

After careful considering and investing in lots of books... Penzance Pembroke Dock and Newquay were selected.  

Penzance offers:

1) compact terminus

2) big locos :) castles, warships, halls, granges, westerns and large prairie tanks.  I’ll add freight as it appears to be within the period. 

3) an interesting track plan!

4) a retaining wall hiding the back scene

5) a beach area! 

Pembroke Dock offers

1) a good track plan

2) some big services

I am unsure whether Castles ran into Pembroke Dock? 

Newquay offers:

1) holiday services

2) a good trackplan with Goods and an engine shed

on consideration I think Penzance is the best :) 

Does anyone have any ideas? 

I’m looking at Jan 2021 to start under Stranraer.  It’ll be set back further towards the edge of the loft so the space is 5.7m by 4m.

a u-shaped layout 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The only issue with Penzance is that it's been done quite a lot with varying degrees of success mate. I'm sure that dear old Cyril F did a plan based on it as well. Pembroke Dock would get my vote but it's your layout and not a democracy. I'm sure that whatever you go with will be fab.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2

On 16/04/2020 at 20:56, danstercivicman said:

Yup I think your right.

It was common practice from what I can tell.  Kinda makes sense as the ECS has to be backed into the coach sidings.  

The Black 5 is also in reverse gear, so that would clinch it.

Alasdair

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

The only issue with Penzance is that it's been done quite a lot with varying degrees of success mate. I'm sure that dear old Cyril F did a plan based on it as well. Pembroke Dock would get my vote but it's your layout and not a democracy. I'm sure that whatever you go with will be fab.

Regards Lez.

Hello,

Cheers,

Yes, I have seen some layouts around.  Newquay was the 2nd place runner up:

Pembroke Dock does have appeal.   I think that the biggest engines to work the branch were 45xx.   From what I have read the larger engines came off and the services were handed over. 

Whitland to Tenby shows dotted red.  Tenby to Pembroke Dock shows red RA.   I know Hymeks ran along the line.  

Newquay I thinks had larger engines than Pembroke Dock.

Newquay.pdf

Only just stumbled across your latest layout Dan.  The old forum layout update way back when meant I lost track of your work, amongst others, but the new forum update has helped me find you again :rolleyes:.

Great work and very atmospheric.  I'm especially jealous of the lengths of trains you can run.

Now following.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Only just stumbled across your latest layout Dan.  The old forum layout update way back when meant I lost track of your work, amongst others, but the new forum update has helped me find you again :rolleyes:.

Great work and very atmospheric.  I'm especially jealous of the lengths of trains you can run.

Now following.

Regards,

Brian.

Thank you :)

It is a blessing to have such space :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Newquay I thinks had larger engines than Pembroke Dock.

Newquay saw all classes that ran in Cornwall, right up to Castles. On summer Saturdays a number of trains were double-headed too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

I think you have a big layout themed on this region? 

The layout is awesome btw :)

Thanks Dan. Yes, I chose the Newquay branch largely because of the china-clay traffic, which I find fascinating. Pembroke Dock is fascinating too in quite different ways, not least the military siding disappearing off between a couple of houses across the road.

• Like 1

That’s good to know.  I do like the Newquay plan.  It’ll certainly be a challenge fitting it all in!

The NLS map I have found (late 1940’s) shows an engine shed and a single track over the viaduct.  Would this be correct for BR steam days? 

Did the china clay get loaded at the goods goods yard at Newquay or further up the line? 

Best

Dan 

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

That’s good to know.  I do like the Newquay plan.  It’ll certainly be a challenge fitting it all in!

The NLS map I have found (late 1940’s) shows an engine shed and a single track over the viaduct.  Would this be correct for BR steam days? 

Did the china clay get loaded at the goods goods yard at Newquay or further up the line? 

Best

Dan 

The line out of Newquay as far as Tolcarn Junction was doubled in 1946. The engine shed had gone by then but I don't know exactly when.

In BR steam days not only were there trains between Newquay and Par but also between Newquay and Truro via the Chacewater line that branched off at Tolcarn Junction.

The china-clay area was further along the branch, with branches (twigs) coming in at St Dennis Junction plus several installations near Bugle.

Have a look at the Signalling Record Society website https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwf/S1133.htm for a low-res signalling diagram (getting the hi-res version means either joining the SRS or buying a CD) and look at the Cornwall Railway Society website http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/ for everything you want to know and a lot you didn't even know you wanted to know about railways in Cornwall.

Have fun!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The line out of Newquay as far as Tolcarn Junction was doubled in 1946. The engine shed had gone by then but I don't know exactly when.

In BR steam days not only were there trains between Newquay and Par but also between Newquay and Truro via the Chacewater line that branched off at Tolcarn Junction.

The china-clay area was further along the branch, with branches (twigs) coming in at St Dennis Junction plus several installations near Bugle.

Have a look at the Signalling Record Society website https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwf/S1133.htm for a low-res signalling diagram (getting the hi-res version means either joining the SRS or buying a CD) and look at the Cornwall Railway Society website http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/ for everything you want to know and a lot you didn't even know you wanted to know about railways in Cornwall.

Have fun!

Thank you,

I will do!   A new book arrived- 'The Newquay Branch and its branches'  just getting tucked into it with a nice cup of tea! 

Very interesting stuff!  

Glad the shed was taken away- I am not very good at fitting turntables! 

Best

Dan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Thank you,

I will do!   A new book arrived- 'The Newquay Branch and its branches'  just getting tucked into it with a nice cup of tea! 

Very interesting stuff!  

Glad the shed was taken away- I am not very good at fitting turntables! 

Best

Dan

That's a very good book to get you started. The relevant Mitchell and Smith books are also worth getting if you haven't already, for example "Steaming through Cornwall", "St Austell to Penzance" and "Branch Lines to Newquay".

After the turntable was removed, locos were turned on the Tolcarn Junction triangle.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1