Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

That would actually make sense for if the 6MT Clan took the 09:32 Newcastle from Carlisle to Stranraer then a fitted freight in the early evening back to Carlisle it would then potentially be ready to work the DOWN N.IRISHMAN back to Stranraer Harbour from Carlisle at 02:04 HRS... the cycle would then repeat maybe that’s how the diagrams worked? 

1 hour ago, stivesnick said:

Great video - very informative.

The sound was a bit quiet.

Regards 

Nick 

Oh I’ll have to look at that.  I was just standing behind my phone :) 

Glad you liked it.

Part Two will be Morning Freight and Freight Locos

Part Three will be The Newcastle Services, Boat Trains and Port Road locals.

Part Five will be evening Freight and workings.  

Part Five will be DMU’s and hopefully a Class 126 built!!!

Trouble is getting all the research in! 

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Thanks 1

I like this layout.  You haven't tried to squeeze stuff that wasn't there in.  The operation is excellent, reminds me very much of my old layout Caolisport.  The Port Road jobs were really hard on the Kingmoor crews.  My mate said he some terrible firing turns on them with hard hitting drivers.  The Clans were excellent and well suited to the diagrams.

Thanks

Claggy

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

I like this layout.  You haven't tried to squeeze stuff that wasn't there in.  The operation is excellent, reminds me very much of my old layout Caolisport.  The Port Road jobs were really hard on the Kingmoor crews.  My mate said he some terrible firing turns on them with hard hitting drivers.  The Clans were excellent and well suited to the diagrams.

Thanks

Claggy

Thank you :) 

If it's 10' wheelbase then it can be fitted but I can't tell from the photo. I'm not aware of any 9' fitted open wagons still around at that date, certainly not in large numbers. A bog standard unfitted open could have virtually anything in it which did not need to be there in a hurry. 

• Like 1

Sometimes a guest driver helps (same household bubble)...

My daughter has been in charge of the trains tonight and has chosen the ‘guest’ DPU and the Newcastle Boat Train.

A new book arrived and I’m slowly digesting it. 

I’ve realised that I have got services mixed up.

23:45 Newcastle arriving at Stranraer Harbour 04:00.  This would then provide the ECS for the 12:20 (lately 13:40) to Newcastle.  

The N.Irishman would then arrive after this at 05:23...

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

21 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Sometimes a guest driver helps (same household bubble)...

My daughter has been in charge of the trains tonight and has chosen the ‘guest’ DPU and the Newcastle Boat Train.

A new book arrived and I’m slowly digesting it. 

I’ve realised that I have got services mixed up.

23:45 Newcastle arriving at Stranraer Harbour 04:00.  This would then provide the ECS for the 12:20 (lately 13:40) to Newcastle.  

The N.Irishman would then arrive after this at 05:23...

Expert driving by your "guest" Dan :D

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It has a nice full colour map at the back and also features:

Daylight Service To and From Ireland!

TSS Caledonian Princess

14:30 departure from Stranraer 

16:45 arrival at Larne

Connects to the Class 126 services to Glasgow.  From St Enoch passengers can connect via the other Glasgow termi to Aberdeen, Perth Dundee and Stirling. 

The other daylight sailing departed Larne at 11:00 

Arrival at Stranraer 13:15

This was a Monday-Saturday summer service! 

• Like 1

Corkerhill’s 44957 prepares to take the 13:40 to Dumfries.  It can’t be a Saturday as the service would run to Newcastle arriving at 18:37.

This is my ex LMS Port Road 4 Coach Set + XP Van.

The Class 126 (to be built- Silver Fox Kit has arrived) would have preceded this at 13:30 but would have diverged at Challoch Junction to Glasgow St Enoch 

EA6CEA18-6303-4552-B9BD-577B25CF4D1C.jpeg

B85B3B8A-7EC0-4D7B-BC36-D43BEC485832.jpeg

• Like 7

23 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Corkerhill’s 44957 prepares to take the 13:40 to Dumfries.  It can’t be a Saturday as the service would run to Newcastle arriving at 18:37.

This is my ex LMS Port Road 4 Coach Set + XP Van.

Looking good, remind me why it cannot be the train for Newcastle,  Was there a Friday night train from Newcastle with Gresley stock that had to be returned to the north east on the Saturday. 

Leaving Stranraer it would still have had an ex LMS engine which would have had to come off at Carlisle.

Ray

• Like 1

Well it’s abit strange.  Table 8 in the 1964 timetable has E, Z and W.

E- everyday except Sat

Z- also runs on Sat until 4th July inclusive 

W- Saturdays only commences 11th July.  TC to Newcastle arr 18:37 (Larne Stranraer Boat Train)

I was therefore going to save the eastern region rake for the Saturday service? 

This would allow me to return the stock that arrived at 04:00 hrs from the 23:45 (Friday) from Newcastle on Saturdays.

The Saturday 09:32am from Newcastle which passed Dumfries at 12:01 and arrived at Stranraer at 14:06 would then become the stock for the 21:30 Larne-Stranraer Boat Train which arrived at Newcastle at 02:28 am on Sundays.

I have read that ex-LMS stock needed an adapter to LNER/BR stock so my rake is:

ER Set 1

BR MK.1 BCK

BR MK.1 TSO x 2

BR MK.1 BSK

Gresley 61ft Third

Gresley BTK

ER Set 2

Thompson 63ft BTK or BCK (can’t remember which) 

Thompson CK 59ft? 

Thompson 63ft TK?

BR MK.1 TSO

BR MK.1 CK

BR MK.1 BSK

Yes an ex LMS/BR engine to Carlisle.  

In in my case I’d be using a 6P Jubilee or 5MT 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, danstercivicman said:

This would allow me to return the stock that arrived at 04:00 hrs from the 23:45 (Friday) from Newcastle on Saturdays.

The Saturday 09:32am from Newcastle which passed Dumfries at 12:01 and arrived at Stranraer at 14:06 would then become the stock for the 21:30 Larne-Stranraer Boat Train which arrived at Newcastle at 02:28 am on Sundays.

I

I am not knowing - but might there be two rakes which changed over at the weekend to allow one to be cleaned and serviced?

You are correct, all sorts of adaptors to fit ex LNER coaches to Mk1s.  I do believe there were similar issues when the MetroCammel Pullmans were introduced and had to be topped and tailed with older Pullmans or Gresley BGs.

Cheers Ray