Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

6 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

I am not knowing - but might there be two rakes which changed over at the weekend to allow one to be cleaned and serviced?

You are correct, all sorts of adaptors to fit ex LNER coaches to Mk1s.  I do believe there were similar issues when the MetroCammel Pullmans were introduced and had to be topped and tailed with older Pullmans or Gresley BGs.

Cheers Ray

Hello, yes I think so.  I’m using rake 1 for the 04:00 arrival.  This then gets run back to the carriage sidings at Stranraer Town from where it gets cleaned.   This is used for the 13:40-Newcastle.

Rake 2 then arrives at 14:06.  That becomes the stock for the 21:30 after cleaning and servicing.  

A summer Saturday morning in 1963.

6P Jubilee 45738 of 12A Carlisle Kingmoor on the Friday night 23:45pm from Newcastle to Stranraer via Carlisle arrives at 04:09 am.  Nine minutes behind schedule...

BR 6MT 72008 of 12A Carlisle Kingmoor on the Down N.Irishman at 05:28am...

I’m gradually adding corridor gangway connectors to my coaching rakes! 

2DEBD1B9-DA92-459D-AFE4-B0E82B315F42.jpeg

3AA50441-334D-469E-8468-BA09472B6E69.jpeg

F2166345-CBC2-4721-8031-1EFAABC1E786.jpeg

985E25B7-34EE-4B8F-A512-7328AD8C5DC8.jpeg

70E83361-8285-46E7-97ED-92B198313A2E.jpeg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

There is quite a difference in the Hornby coaches- they seem very underscale when next to the Bachmann mk.1’s.  The Bachmann Thompson ck is also higher than the other Bachmann Thompson’s...

Good Morning Dan

There are three ages of Bachmann Thompsons: Early, quite early and the later super detail.  They all have different ride heights.  This Post I wrote earlier might help:

For those of us with the luxury of large radius curves Bachmann Mk1s can be close coupled using Hornby R8220 (preferred) or Bachmann short cranked couplings, in both cases doing away with the need for additional corridor connectors.  Again there is an old Post:

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Good Morning Dan

There are three ages of Bachmann Thompsons: Early, quite early and the later super detail.  They all have different ride heights.  This Post I wrote earlier might help:

For those of us with the luxury of large radius curves Bachmann Mk1s can be close coupled using Hornby R8220 (preferred) or Bachmann short cranked couplings, in both cases doing away with the need for additional corridor connectors.  Again there is an old Post:

Cheers Ray

I’be used the Bachmann hose type coach connectors and the card corridor connectors- they work well.  Do you think I should paint all my coach lids nato black?  I prefer the look but Bachmann Mk.1 coaches are very well made so I’m reluctant to spoil them...

Edited by danstercivicman

Nice. Your first 'unknown Lima CCT' is an LMS 42' parcels and luggage van,  could be coded CCT or GUV depending on who was painting it. Your 'ex LMS CCT?' Is a SR parcels and miscellaneous van, PMV. 

The 12t vans in parcels trains were a side effect of the LMR habitually diagramming more vehicles that it actually had available, and relying on vans and other vehicles 'borrowed' from other regions. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Nice. Your first 'unknown Lima CCT' is an LMS 42' parcels and luggage van,  could be coded CCT or GUV depending on who was painting it. Your 'ex LMS CCT?' Is a SR parcels and miscellaneous van, PMV. 

The 12t vans in parcels trains were a side effect of the LMR habitually diagramming more vehicles that it actually had available, and relying on vans and other vehicles 'borrowed' from other regions. 

Thank you :)

There is a picture of the PMV in a book coupled up to some coaches and a BG I think.

The Dapol PMV is not bad but it needed the weight removing otherwise it became a dead weight on the coaching stock.  

I’ve now completed my freight/parcels and coaching stock so the next big project will be to build the Class 126 kit!

Then next year I’ll need to build three more unpowered Class 126’s so I can run a six car set.

I’ve finished the 1964 timetable so I can run trains from Friday AM to Sat Night!!! 

Working signals and yard lights next year.

Scenic corner extension 2022... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, danstercivicman said:

I’be used the Bachmann hose type coach connectors and the card corridor connectors- they work well.  Do you think I should paint all my coach lids nato black?  I prefer the look but Bachmann Mk.1 coaches are very well made so I’m reluctant to spoil them...

Nato Black - an interesting thought.  Does it come as a water colour that in the future could be washed off?

I see further down that the new Year is going to be busy:)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Nato Black - an interesting thought.  Does it come as a water colour that in the future could be washed off?

I see further down that the new Year is going to be busy:)

Very!

No it’s pretty permanent I used either Vallejo tyre black or Tamiya nato Black.  

It does seem from pictures that BR coach lids were quite drab! 

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Wheatley said:

I think the Southern van is a CCT - I think I can see end doors in the photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/12/2020 at 05:25, danstercivicman said:

Very!

Coach “lids”?  Do you mean roofs?

Yes, but I couldn’t work the plural out so I used lids! 

At least you din't use "rooves"!

Black doesn't seem appropriate, better with various shades of grey.  Same  for goods vans.  I think you can get tins/jars of "roof grey" but that is maybe for new or overhauled stock. 

Maybe best looking at colour albums or on Flickr.  Some examples I have saved on the latter (coincidental that some are Port Road!):

Newton Stewart early 1960's img731

Newton Stewart

Crossmichael T108 38 Crossmichael 44677 on 1340 Stranraer Harbour to Dumfries train 7061965

Crossmichael (there is also a shot of this train approaching, if anyone interested in the self weighing tender!)

Kirkcudbright branch 80023 15Apr63 img362

Kirkcudbright branch

A few more goods orientated ones:

126 Kyle of Lochalsh station 11-05-63 (John Boyes) 131

Kyle of Lochalsh

1966-06 Elliot Junction img389

Elliot junction.

Hope this helps gets you started down this particular rabbit hole!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, 26power said:

Black doesn't seem appropriate, better with various shades of grey.  Same  for goods vans.  I think you can get tins/jars of "roof grey" but that is maybe for new or overhauled stock. 

Maybe best looking at colour albums or on Flickr.  Some examples I have saved on the latter (coincidental that some are Port Road!):

Newton Stewart

Crossmichael T108 38 Crossmichael 44677 on 1340 Stranraer Harbour to Dumfries train 7061965

Crossmichael (there is also a shot of this train approaching, if anyone interested in the self weighing tender!)

Kirkcudbright branch

Kyle of Lochalsh

Elliot junction.

Great pictures :)

Yes NATO black is a mix between dark grey and black- quite a faded colour.  It looks spot on for most of the coaches :) 

Interesting the variety of freight roofs. 

7 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

Great pictures :)

Yes NATO black is a mix between dark grey and black- quite a faded colour.  It looks spot on for most of the coaches :) 

Interesting the variety of freight roofs. 

No problem.

Ah, I read "black" too literally.  Would be interesting to see what it looks like when you do one. 

Another thing is to very subtly vary the colour on each one.  Either by painting or subsequent weathering.  As shown on the Kyle and NS pictures.

I want to say the Kirkcudbright one is at the "black" end of the scale whilst the Crossmichael one is more typical but that is just what I have in my head.  You also need to bear in mind the vagaries of colour films, scanning of slides and computer monitor colour balances etc.  I had fewer decent examples saved on Flickr than I thought - a lot of B&W pictures and of good stock, locos, Edinburgh and D&G locations etc. but not many colour views of coaches.

Robert Carroll's and John Turner's  Flickr sites are pretty good for rolling stock views, after all it doesn't need to be your particular vehicles, just those in your chosen era.

Rolling stock

Robert Carroll.

British Rail - vintage images

John Turner.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 26power said:

Newton Stewart

Kirkcudbright branch

Kyle of Lochalsh

Elliot junction.

The cattle trucks and parcels traffic pictures here are very interesting.  It looks a lot like some of the train formations I’ve composed...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/12/2020 at 05:25, danstercivicman said:

Very!

I usually use Humbrol 32 or 67, I think 67 is slightly more "blue", or if I'm feeling extravagant Railmatch Roof Dirt (but that's very similar to the Humbrols).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here is the nato black (on the ex LMS coaches)... it’s a bit of a fanciful scene with the 2P but I like the 2P’s :) 

Yes the coaches look good.  I guess the roof colour would have been made up of six parts soot and four parts red oxide from brake dust, or any permutation you fancy?

Remind me why the 2P is fanciful?  Is it just a case of the 2P and Heljan model would not have existed together?  The 2Ps were still in evidence at the Dumfries end of the line in 1961/2.

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Yes the coaches look good.  I guess the roof colour would have been made up of six parts soot and four parts red oxide from brake dust, or any permutation you fancy?

Remind me why the 2P is fanciful?  Is it just a case of the 2P and Heljan model would not have existed together?  The 2Ps were still in evidenc at the Dumfries end of the line in 1961/2.

Cheers Ray

Cheers :) 

Its on the 15:50 from Stranraer Town but it’s starting from the Station today :)  slight adjustment to the schedule...

You inspired me with your mainline 2P blog :) 

Hopefully I’ve managed to recreate a prototype formation anyway! 

• Like 1

Saturday afternoon July 25th 1964 

The 13:30 Glasgow Boat Train rattled away in Platform 2.  This will be the Class 126 when I build it!!!  For now a Class 110 has to do :(

The 13:40 Newcastle (via Carlisle) sits in Platform 3.  73079 is in charge and it’s Gresley stock to the fore behind a horsebox with a prize racehorse inside :) 

It will arrive in Newcastle at 18:37.

A B1 will take over at Carlisle...

Meanwhile goods and parcels are busy being sorted for the sailings! 

8F19AAB5-212D-4D3A-8F4E-021BAB803DD1.jpeg

FCB141DF-A8E1-4C5B-BCFA-7005E39DB841.jpeg

CC964E60-8DDF-4305-934B-6086668527CD.jpeg

F23D5600-0892-41C6-A221-E0ACBF6B7BE3.jpeg

810327C0-1FC3-46A3-8299-B91F8875218F.jpeg

• Like 8