Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, imt said:

I just love what you are doing, and like to see your photos. It seems to me that if this extra long train and double heading is frequent then (to avoid a massive SPAD before the train has even pulled away) you perhaps need to move that starter to the right of the signal box and probably half way along the Compund too?

There must have been routine ways that the real BR handled this kind of thing - extra long trains and double heading being a routine summer seaside/ferry port thing.  Presumably something in the instructions and a green flag out of the window after the route has been set and the starter lowered?

It wouldn't be a SPAD before the train has moved, because the previous movement was in the opposite direction - so neither loco has passed the signal in the direction to which it applies. Because they are then unable to end the move on the approach side of the signal, there's then special rules that apply about making sure the signal is clear before allowing any movement to begin. There may well also have been specific local instructions if it happened often, especially if it was difficult to sight the signal (as it would be there, with the box in the way).

I'm assuming the signal needs to be where it is because of the crossing...

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Nick C said:

It wouldn't be a SPAD before the train has moved, because the previous movement was in the opposite direction - so neither loco has passed the signal in the direction to which it applies. Because they are then unable to end the move on the approach side of the signal, there's then special rules that apply about making sure the signal is clear before allowing any movement to begin. There may well also have been specific local instructions if it happened often, especially if it was difficult to sight the signal (as it would be there, with the box in the way).

I'm assuming the signal needs to be where it is because of the crossing...

Yes due to the crossing and... that’s where it was on the real thing :) 

They must have just worked with it as it seemed very common! 

13 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Yes I took a photograph of Invincible in Carlisle Citadel.  My Bachmann incarnation is far too pristine.  I have also attached a picture of Orion (with missing cab windows) - again fitted with a later Bachmann mechanism.

5099979513_849eac21fa_z.jpg

39772566494_17b1da6263_5k.jpg

39167257260_2fe8d9d971_5k.jpg

Lovely workmanship :) A great pic of that Jubilee at Carlisle :) 

• RMweb Gold

Train standing beyond the starter.

Thank you danstercivicman for allowing the diversion and to all those who joined in.  It seemed an interesting point to me and some others thought so too.  By the way Banger Blue this wasn't about shunting or reverse (which is also an interesting point anyway since both the locos in the photo were in that position) this was about "right away" and moving off onto the main line when positioned beyond and out of sight of the starter - can you point to the rules about that?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, imt said:

this wasn't about shunting or reverse (which is also an interesting point anyway since both the locos in the photo were in that position) this was about "right away" and moving off onto the main line when positioned beyond and out of sight of the starter

Yes, and no!  How did the train (or engines) get to that position?

Paul.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Yes, and no!  How did the train (or engines) get to that position?

Paul.

I think they ran round at Stranraer town after withdrawing the coaching stock from the coach sidings then ran the whole lot into the Harbour Station. 

I think that this is how they did it :) 

That move would be: 

1) LE from shed to Harbour Junction Box

2) Reverse from Harbour Box to Stranraer Town.

3) Pull Back Stock

4) Run round said stock

5) Pull the whole lot forward to Harbour box

6) Propel the whole lot backwards into Harbour Station- it is ECS

7) Passengers get on and settle down 

8) Train cleared and token passed

9) Sound whistle and slowly slip into the darkening night.  It’ll be a tough climb along the Port Road with 14 on but at Carlisle you’ll come off and hand over to the waiting Britannia or Class 45...

10) Cuppa 

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

9) Sound whistle and slowly slip into the darkening night.

Darkening is the right word; there can't have been many lit landmarks on the Port Road especially when boxes were switched out, and you've got to keep track of where you are because of the switchback nature of the route.  It's blacker than the inside of a cow out there...  We had similar issues with the Newport-Hereford road beyond Pontypool, and at Penpergwm, a closed station that had been sold off as a private house just before Abergavenny, the owner, a retired railwayman, used to leave his living room light on for us, something for which I was more than once grateful!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Darkening is the right word; there can't have been many lit landmarks on the Port Road especially when boxes were switched out, and you've got to keep track of where you are because of the switchback nature of the route.  It's blacker than the inside of a cow out there...  We had similar issues with the Newport-Hereford road beyond Pontypool, and at Penpergwm, a closed station that had been sold off as a private house just before Abergavenny, the owner, a retired railwayman, used to leave his living room light on for us, something for which I was more than once grateful!

Indeed, this is why I think there are so few photos of the Boat Trains... hitting Carlisle in the early hours of the morning and running to arrive at Euston at 7am ish... not many photo opportunities at that time!  

28 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Indeed, this is why I think there are so few photos of the Boat Trains... hitting Carlisle in the early hours of the morning and running to arrive at Euston at 7am ish... not many photo opportunities at that time!  

27 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

It is meant to be quite muddy- apparently Stranraer Harbour lacked depth hence the change to Cairnryan. 

Looking good Dan. 

I was believing that the move to Cairn Ryan was to shorten the journy time within Loch Ryan which had to be at low speed (very time consuming) to avoid sinking smaller craft (there having been fatalities).

Cheers Ray

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Looking good Dan. 

I was believing that the move to Cairn Ryan was to shorten the journy time within Loch Ryan which had to be at low speed (very time consuming) to avoid sinking smaller craft (there having been fatalities).

Cheers Ray

Yes that may be more correct.  I’d heard stories of the ferries churning up mud.  

I think back back in the sixties/seventies they scrapped aircraft carriers at Cairnryan :( 

2 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Yes could be true.  I do believe that there was / is a lot of contaminated ground at Cairn Ryan.

Ray

I’d certainly expect having watched some videos on ship breaking.

There are and prob were a huge number of pipes covered in lead/asbestos and other hazardous things...

I do like that Compound!  Thank you for your article showing how great that and the 2P are! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As I rather approve of Canton Brits, I’m not looking forward as much to the Owen Glendower makeover, and want you to keep it as Western Star, with polised brass beading on the handgrab holes.  

Sea is looking pretty good!

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

As I rather approve of Canton Brits, I’m not looking forward as much to the Owen Glendower makeover, and want you to keep it as Western Star, with polised brass beading on the handgrab holes.  

Yes sorry, weatherbeaten and worn down LMR is Stranraer... no polished engines I’m afraid.

The sea will look ok with another 3 or 4 coats.  That’ll be a summer job 

Edited by danstercivicman

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Yes sorry, weatherbeaten and worn down LMR is Stranraer... no polished engines I’m afraid.

The sea will look ok with another 3 or 4 costs.  That’ll be a summer job