Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Gibson or comet or even dragon models. If it's a Hornby then peters spares. 

I have a conversion kit for an Avro Manchester using either an Airfix or Revell donor Plus interior and exterior etches. I usually build aircraft models on holiday usually a caravan in some bit of the west country or Wales. I build kits and she cross stitches if the weather is bad. If not we go off to beauty spots, historic sites, etc. She's a very good photographer far better than I am even if it's my camera. I don't use it for that sort of photography, I use it for astrophotography, she has a much better eye for composition that I do and she takes very good photos of the shore line, mountains and sunsets, some of which have been blown up and framed. She's a very good artist as well. I'm a lucky chap in that respect we sort of bounce off each other creatively. 25 years in May and we can't celebrate it at all, as you can imagine we are a little sad about that.        

Regards Lez.

Cheers, I’ve emailed Peter Spares.

Sounds like a good conversion.  I’ve got a Wellington, RAF B17 (jammer) and a Lancaster to build.   One day...

I’ve also got the Airfix Victor B2! 

I wonder if a Victor ever flew over Stranraer... I almost got a Supermarine Stranraer but they were not very good and I’ve got a PBY-5A to build instead!! 

Meanwhile... 

2P with the ‘Port Patrick’

Jubilee with the Glasgow Boat Train.  

There’s a Clan with the UP ‘Northern Irishman’ just out of view. 

C2C11EAA-1AE1-45B8-A5E5-DC78A5A87CE1.jpeg

685C5B12-7408-46F8-A0FC-F545352BEF0F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

I’ve also got the Airfix Victor B2! 

I wonder if a Victor ever flew over Stranraer...

I'm sure one did!

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

I'm more of a Vulcan man myself, although the Victor is very "Flash Gordon" in design and very attractive for a nuclear bomber with that crescent wing and all. The Vulcan is just sublime delta wing excellence at its very best. Plus it's an Avro and as such a successor to the Lancaster. Yes I know that the Shackleton is the true heir of the Lanc, now that isn't a pretty aircraft at all, but if you squint at it you can see the lanc trying to get out. They have basically the same airframe if not the same beauty.   

Regards Lez.     

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

(Sorry to all WR loco fans)

Has to be done I suppose for the sake of Port Road realism.  O well...

You can't beat a Vulcan for sheer impressiveness; not many aircraft can blot the sun out like that!  But I consider the Victor to be one of the most beautiful aircraft ever devised by the wit of man; no angles or crudity, everything just flows and blends into everything else.  This admiration is something I feel a little guilty about, as I have campaigned against nuclear weapons all my life; fortunately for me, it turned out that the leaders of the nuclear powers were just as scared of them as I am!

Both very amazing technological developments as aircraft go.  I’ve been inside the Vulcan and Shackleton (at museums)  Both fairly cramped on the inside!

I’ve seen all three flying at the old Mildenhall airshows over the years.  

Car alarms and the Vulcans did not get on!

I did consider running a football special to Stranraer to justify keeping 70025 intact but I expect that any such working would have used the Town Station.... 

I also suspect that a Kingmoor loco would have taken over although a SR light Pacific might have been within the Port Road RA. 

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, danstercivicman said:

I did consider running a football special to Stranraer to justify keeping 70025 intact

Surely Ayr United must have played against Glentoran in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup at one time?????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Some good views taken from the Caledonian Princess...

CFA18521-EF60-4F5A-A4D5-D61DC726C0D2.jpeg

C50F803F-C947-4CB9-B6A2-52F8EC72AB61.jpeg

CA2B5B24-12BB-4356-9B54-804C661330F9.jpeg

image.jpg

It’s been a while since I last checked in on progress.

Loving the canopies! How are you going to finish the roofs?

That footbridge too - excellent work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtlebah said:

It’s been a while since I last checked in on progress.

Loving the canopies! How are you going to finish the roofs?

That footbridge too - excellent work.

I have decided that the Dapol canopies are too flimsy so my old friend scale scene paper will be used with thin card :)

Thank you for the kind comments 

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Surely Ayr United must have played against Glentoran in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup at one time?????

I was picturing a very lost SR Light Pacific with a rake of green stock or...a WR Britannia/STD 5MT with some WR maroon and chocolate and cream rake :)

Imagine a Hall or Castle running along the Port Road- I expect it would be totally out of gauge.

My next layout (2030) will be western region and go under the current one...although I’m still tempted by minories.. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

I wonder if a Victor ever flew over Stranraer ?

The MoS Bombing Trials Unit was based at RAF West Freugh so I expect you could have quite a few things flying over. Including UFOs allegedly. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

At 21:53 a 5MT brings in the 21:45 from Carlisle.  It’s been delayed by a PW slack at Dunragit... 

It’ll be off to the Shed for 73079 and a wee dram for the Kingmoor men.  They will run back tomorrow with a freight working. 

Yes I do need to sort that wall/baseboard join! 

703E0724-F7F3-44C0-B431-A4DB804D9D71.jpeg

99ADF31E-E4CE-46CD-8FD2-B0024783C9E3.jpeg

214A881E-8658-4767-8E55-201F0ED71467.jpeg

831BCE9A-1B6E-4B2A-9D36-463DD21726A7.jpeg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

It’ll be off to the Shed for 73079 and a wee dram for the Kingmoor men.  They will run back tomorrow with a freight working. 

Well done Dan, I have just noticed your Izetta Scooter and then when did the Start Rite waggon arrive?

I guess the PW slack at Dunraggit would be because some nit wit going to Ireland had clobbered the low bridge again.  It would be only very recently that it has been bypassed.

I am waiting for my wee dram.

Cheers Ray

51 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Well done Dan, I have just noticed your Izetta Scooter and then when did the Start Rite waggon arrive?

I guess the PW slack at Dunraggit would be because some nit wit going to Ireland had clobbered the low bridge again.  It would be only very recently that it has been bypassed.

I am waiting for my wee dram.

Cheers Ray

Yes, I’ve had that scooter many years Probably 25+ now!

I just chose a name out of a hat, I’m not sure of where all the slacks were but it seemed like a good choice :) 

Start rite truck is around 3-4 months old.  It’s certainly a long way from East Anglia! 

1 hour ago, danstercivicman said:

I just chose a name out of a hat, I’m not sure of where all the slacks were but it seemed like a good choice :) 

Good choice, seemingly Challoch Bridge at Dunragit was 'hit' on average  eight times per year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-26787316

Another Google search suggested that it was even 'hit' three times in the same week!

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=440072

Ray

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bochi said:

Great operating session!

That little ex-Caley "Pug" is a ferocious performer. The crew certainly earned their brew and perhaps a wee something added to it.

The Pug has super power.   It’s one of the most basic Hornby locos that I’ve tried to add detail too.  It probably never ran at Stranraer but it keeps the Hunslet (also a super performer) company in the shunting role. 

46 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

The Pug has super power.   It’s one of the most basic Hornby locos that I’ve tried to add detail too.  It probably never ran at Stranraer but it keeps the Hunslet (also a super performer) company in the shunting role. 

David L.Smith says there was/were Caley 0-4-0T(s) at Stranraer in the 1880s(!). At that time, the pier wasn't strong enough to take the weight of a mainline engine. So the train engine would come to the end of the causeway out to the pier, a Pug would push the train from the pier to the train engine, then bank the train for a distance from there. The Pug probably was not a '264' class engine, which is what yours is, but it does show small Caley tanks were there. 

Hi,

I just found this topic, it's a very interesting project. Very few modellers have "had a go" at Stranraer. Given that it's an isolated location and the fact that the Town station closed in 1965, and the service was pretty sparse, the principal trains running often in winter darkness very early in the morning or late at night, that's not surprising.

I do still have a "Stranraer" on my present layout "The Ballycrochan Line" using buildings I built before for a previous layout, "The Stranraer Coleraine and Donaghadee Railway" which existed from 2011 -2018. Two of the stations in the title are in Northern Ireland, which is where I live, but Stranraer is our closest UK mainland station!

You might find it interesting -it is in the "Irish Railways Group" which you'll find under "european" headings on RM Web because the group also contains material about railways in the South of Ireland also. (As is my current railway, which has some more pics of the actual station building).

I modelled the landward side of the station, and left out the part which sticks out on the quayside beyond the station buildings, as I wanted to concentrate on the ferry and its facilities!

Colm Flanagan

531005454_clan126dumfries.JPG.73ce6623ec9a5dd335df57c9a2877310.JPG

1982448503_3trainsreadytoleave.JPG.78a86ba27783f512c986947567c5b7f1.JPG

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1