Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

37 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Under Stranraer? 

Then all you will need is a helix to connect the two layouts and you have a model of almost the full length of British railways!

The 'Rule One'  Stranraer to Penzance! 

The holiday special Dumfries to Newquay!  

Now.... there was a Glasgow-Penzance service I think?  

That would have been a epic journey!  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Now.... there was a Glasgow-Penzance service I think?  

That would have been a epic journey!  

Now in the 1980/90s I do believe that the HS125s were rostered Glasgow to Plymouth and then back up to Newcastle/Edinburgh all in a days work.  There was a matching rosta taking in Southampton.

I am sure someone will have the correct details.

Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 2

A few years ago I was stuck on a sprinter between York and Dundee.  After many hours of bone breaking discomfort the guard came by to check tickets.  I mentioned it seemed a long slow journey, to which he replied 'you think you've got it bad? I've been stuck on here since f$$king Penzance mate.'

I believe I had the misfortune to be on the legendary Penzance - Aberdeen train, reduced to 2 x 156 or some such horror that day for 'operational reasons'.

I've never been so pleased to reach Dundee before or since.  Return trip was a XC HST and properly splendid it was too...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well I seem to be having E=2mC or whatever it is!

I fix one area and another problem arises...

The battery powered LED lights have a lovely warm soft glow whereas the usb side has a harsher tone despite being warm white?

The platform canopies look awful and I should have paid more attention to building these...

Anyway the Bachmann Compound runs great :) and the 2P that a legend of railroad modelling fettled also runs like a dream!

This all makes me certain Penzance will be the next location to model as there is only one canopy and it’s set really far back!!!!!

B021B9BE-35BE-435F-9D94-3C00CCC25E59.jpeg

F395D1D6-9FB7-48E1-ACAE-571599434B8C.jpeg

39A167E6-876E-41E6-8525-ED3921244F41.jpeg

559BEEC1-BBE0-4709-A4B7-32084E5A07CB.jpeg

BA3D4D89-BCCC-4F46-89A8-502DDA7FD162.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Very droll.

Indeed :)

The only other choices were:

5MT on Class A/XP head-codes...

A half finished Clan on C head-codes.

A Jubilee 45596 (prob never seen at Stranraer) on C head-codes..

I’m somewhat doubtful whether there was fish traffic from this side of Stranraer but it adds variety!

I got the St Austell to Penzance book- interesting alternative use for cattle wagons hauling perishable vegetable traffic!  It could provide me with an alternative load idea!

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 06:18, danstercivicman said:

Thank you.  I do like the Parklife kits! 

They seem to fit fit together well.  Thankfully there are a lot of pics on the inter web to help with where the bits go.  I will have to add NEM couplings. 

As said, a slippery slope although quite a few of the Parkside range are also now available RTR.

I don’t recall seeing pictures of fish trains or vans at Stranraer and I don’t think it has a history of being a fishing port, although I have’t researched it.  However, it is your layout!  I wonder if Portpatrick might have been more for fishing, I  think it still has a bit today?  If you are imagining the line from there to Stranraer still being open for your layout then perhaps an option would be to have a fish van or two from there being brought down to your harbour station to be added to a passenger train, rather than having a specific fish train?  These presumably only really ran from major fishing ports.

Regardless of above ramblings, another Parkside one to maybe consider for such a train is the LMS 6T fish van: https://peco-uk.com/products/lms-6ton-fish-wagon?_pos=79&_sid=1fd6e7c0f&_ss=r
Although this is for a slightly earlier era in fish movement I think - before white painted vans.

Or there is the Five79 range ( was Chivers Finelines).  There is a topic on this forum for it.  The LMS 6 wheel fish van, when it is available again might be of interest, see: https://five79.co.uk/4mm-Standard-Gauge-Kits/.

More generally,  there is the Cambrian range, see: https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk. Plenty to choose from and some of the more recent ones have one piece underframes or bogies which should make getting a running vehicle easier.

Another specifically relevant one for your trains and layout might be the LMS cattle van from Parkside: https://peco-uk.com/products/lms-cattle-wagon?_pos=55&_sid=1fd6e7c0f&_ss=r. Ben Alder on here had posts about building them and altering them to represent different builds.

Hope this helps!  Happy kit building.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, 26power said:

As said, a slippery slope although quite a few of the Parkside range are also now available RTR.

I don’t recall seeing pictures of fish trains or vans at Stranraer and I don’t think it has a history of being a fishing port, although I have’t researched it.  However, it is your layout!  I wonder if Portpatrick might have been more for fishing, I  think it still has a bit today?  If you are imagining the line from there to Stranraer still being open for your layout then perhaps an option would be to have a fish van or two from there being brought down to your harbour station to be added to a passenger train, rather than having a specific fish train?  These presumably only really ran from major fishing ports.

Regardless of above ramblings, another Parkside one to maybe consider for such a train is the LMS 6T fish van: https://peco-uk.com/products/lms-6ton-fish-wagon?_pos=79&_sid=1fd6e7c0f&_ss=r
Although this is for a slightly earlier era in fish movement I think - before white painted vans.

Or there is the Five79 range ( was Chivers Finelines).  There is a topic on this forum for it.  The LMS 6 wheel fish van, when it is available again might be of interest, see: https://five79.co.uk/4mm-Standard-Gauge-Kits/.

More generally,  there is the Cambrian range, see: https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk. Plenty to choose from and some of the more recent ones have one piece underframes or bogies which should make getting a running vehicle easier.

Another specifically relevant one for your trains and layout might be the LMS cattle van from Parkside: https://peco-uk.com/products/lms-cattle-wagon?_pos=55&_sid=1fd6e7c0f&_ss=r. Ben Alder on here had posts about building them and altering them to represent different builds.

Hope this helps!  Happy kit building.

Aha!  A light bulb idea that ;)  

Yes my layout features the ‘Rule One’ Port Patrick local...  therefore that’s a really good suggestion!!

Yes I doubt there would have ever been a dedicated train but bolting some fish vans onto the larger trains makes sense! 

Brilliant suggestions I’ll take a look! 

Best

dan  

• Like 2

Not a lot of evidence of fish traffic from Stranraer ( but I have half a dozen vans anyway !) but plenty of 12 ton fitted vans and 5 plank opens,  (all varieties) and 16 ton minerals. Also Conflats with A and B containers. You could ideally do with BM containers ( fresh meat) but Parkside don't do that one. Osborne Models do it in laser cut MDF but they're pricey. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Not a lot of evidence of fish traffic from Stranraer ( but I have half a dozen vans anyway !) but plenty of 12 ton fitted vans and 5 plank opens,  (all varieties) and 16 ton minerals. Also Conflats with A and B containers. You could ideally do with BM containers ( fresh meat) but Parkside don't do that one. Osborne Models do it in laser cut MDF but they're pricey. 

Yes definitely.  The Harbour seemed full of vans and such like :)

I’ll look out for those containers