Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

On 05/11/2020 at 11:33, Brian D said:

Hi Dan, 

I've just had email from Rails of Sheffield to say they have Bachmann Jubilee "Madras" in early BR Black on offer for £99.50. Is this of interest to you. 

Regards, 

Brian 

Hello, thank you for letting me know.  I’m afraid I’ve gone well over budget this month- I got a Bachmann 5MT and a rebuilt Patriot to turn into 45738 Samson (with a Mainline Jubilee body)..

Thank you though :) 

• Like 1

• danstercivicman changed the title to Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

I’ll throw it out there.  What scenic ideas/improvements (within reason) or loco/stock improvements (Class 126 excepted as I’m trying to sort that) do you fellow RMWEB co model creators think would be good to work on in 2021? 

Working signals and the Caledonian Princess. They shuold keep you out of trouble.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

Working signals yes.  Ferry... 

I thought you were going to build a low-relief version of the stern?

Anyway, you'll need the practice for the Scillonian...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I thought you were going to build a low-relief version of the stern?

Anyway, you'll need the practice for the Scillonian...

Yes that was my plan :) 

What I’ve realised is that ferry’s are quite complex.  There is the hull then a sort of ridge then the stern.  I’m struggling to think of how to model this part.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/11/2020 at 21:50, danstercivicman said:

I’ll throw it out there.  What scenic ideas/improvements (within reason) or loco/stock improvements (Class 126 excepted as I’m trying to sort that) do you fellow RMWEB co model creators think would be good to work on in 2021? 

I can't remember if you've already got these:

Std Class 4 tank - 80117, 80119 at Stranraer, 80023 and one other I forget (80079?) at Dumfries to choose from. The Stranraer pair were only there for the last couple of years though, refugees from the ER. 

LMS Fowler 2P 4-4-0 - Staple power on local trains until 1962 and used to pilot Jubilees on the boat trains. 

LMS Ivatt 2MT - 46467 was a Stranraer engine.  

BR Std 2MT - 78016 and 78026 arrived in 1964ish. 

If you fancy a kit challenge, South Eastern Finecast do a Caley 782 Class 0-6-0T, Stranraer had one for a while as an alternative to the Hunslet. Whitemetal body, it should fit a Hornby Thomas or Bachmann Pannier chassis (I've one on order, I'll let you know).  

After that you're into kit building DJH Jumbos and Class 439 0-4-4Ts 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I can't remember if you've already got these:

Std Class 4 tank - 80117, 80119 at Stranraer, 80023 and one other I forget (80079?) at Dumfries to choose from. The Stranraer pair were only there for the last couple of years though, refugees from the ER. 

LMS Fowler 2P 4-4-0 - Staple power on local trains until 1962 and used to pilot Jubilees on the boat trains. 

LMS Ivatt 2MT - 46467 was a Stranraer engine.  

BR Std 2MT - 78016 and 78026 arrived in 1964ish. 

If you fancy a kit challenge, South Eastern Finecast do a Caley 782 Class 0-6-0T, Stranraer had one for a while as an alternative to the Hunslet. Whitemetal body, it should fit a Hornby Thomas or Bachmann Pannier chassis (I've one on order, I'll let you know).  

After that you're into kit building DJH Jumbos and Class 439 0-4-4Ts 

Cheers

I’ve got two 2P 4-4-0’s and a 4P Compund.

I’ve got a BR STD 4MT-t but need to change the cab numbers :)   Yes those numbers match the books.  

The Ivatt 2MT is a good call.  I used to have one but sold it :( 

2MT-t would be good to run my Port Patrick shuttle!

The rails Caley 812 looks good also!

I couldn’t find that kit on the inter web- where should I look? 

I’ve got the ‘Pug’ 56029 which helps the Hunslet :) 

57 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Locomotives/Bodyline Locomotive Kits 3.htm

F119 LMS Caley Tank (which might explain why you can't find it as it isn't listed as "782 Class" ! Sorry ). Site's a bit clunky and you have to send them an actual cheque. 

Whats a cheque lol :) 

Old Skool :) 

Its pretty impressive how some mobile banking apps allow you to cash cheques via the phone app and scanner (subject to the relevant checks etc).  

However when you take a (pre/outside lockdown) trip to Highly in the SVR or Buckden in North Yorkshire you realise how sometimes the simpler ways of life are better :) 

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Locomotives/Bodyline Locomotive Kits 3.htm

F119 LMS Caley Tank (which might explain why you can't find it as it isn't listed as "782 Class" ! Sorry ). Site's a bit clunky and you have to send them an actual cheque. 

Not a bad price.  What type of kit is it- resin or metal? 

8 hours ago, Wheatley said:

It's whitemetal - low melt solder or epoxy. I think it was designed to fit the old Tri-ang generic 0-6-0 chassis, we'll see if it fits the current Hornby one when it gets here !

There is a chassis kit listed in the price list as well, but think it might be an older style?  Particularly given that there are chassis kits which are listed separately and which, I think, are etched.  

I’m aware of Wills as a manufacturer but the website isn’t exactly promoting their products!  And don’t think I’ve previously heard of/been aware of Scalelink loco wheels, or am I just not paying enough attention?!

Sometimes it can be hard to sleep.  The cure is here!  Fourteen minutes of me trying to explain my layout and the theory behind it!

I have been getting into the books. 

The principle Diagram for a 12A Kingmoor Loco 

Your booked on.  72008 your a BR Clan 6MT.  You have a smaller boiler than your bigger 7MT brethren but you climb better...  The driver and fireman ensure you have a full tender of coal and water.  Consequently you now have a good head of steam.  You run out the shed and take up a clear road at Carlisle awaiting the service.  Tonight you have a hard shift ahead. 

01:25-01:31 HRS Back onto the DOWN N.IRISHMAN stock relieving the 7MT Britannia.   The train is full of holiday makers and business men.  Some are trying to sleep.  Some are very lively and the guards BSK’s and BG are full of luggage.  You’ve picked up passengers from a feeder train from Newcastle which was brought in by a Thompson B1 earlier. 

After running along the ‘Port Road’ you arrive at Stranraer Harbour at 05:25 (04:00 Saturday).  You have to provide steam heating until around 06:25 when you back the stock out of the Harbour to Stranraer Junction.  You pull it forward into Stranraer Town and set it back into the carriage siding. 

Light engine you proceed to Stranraer Shed for turning and servicing.

At 11:44 you leave the shed and back onto some stock waiting at the Stranraer Town Station.  This you take to Glasgow St Enoch via Ayr. 

At 5:10PM you return to Stranraer with a train from Glasgow. A brief moment to catch your breath at the Shed before backing ECS into Stranraer Harbour.  This will become the 22:00 UP N.IRISHMAN.  

You work this service to Carlisle.  Here you hand it over to a Class 45.  Your not quite sure about it.  It looks quite heavy.  Off it purrs into the night as you head to 12A KINGMOOR so your crew can sign off...

Tomorrow you’ll be on a different diagram.  It’s Saturday so I expect you’ll be taking the 09:32 Boat Train from Newcastle to Stranraer Harbour...

Edited by danstercivicman
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1