Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

Yeah, I think it will be some of the silver lining stuff. I have heard that the loft is meant to be cold/warm in summer to allow for various building things.

At the moment is bearable. My main concern is the low level of the backscene :(

I think once the layout is settled into position then I can bring the ‘sky scene’ further up.

Glad you like it it’s a real mission to build it before the missus gets back!!!!!

Hello, sorry to dredge up an old argument but I recently finished reading 'The Port Road' by Andrew F Swan, a fantastic resource for anyone who wants to know more about the route from Dumfries.

510qXhFixzL._SX394_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Now, in this book it is mentioned that during the war years a pair of ex Highland/ Caledonian Railway 4-6-0s 'River' class were used on troop trains, the story doesn't mention specific identities of the two, but they were apparently nicknamed 'Scharnhorst' and 'Gneisenau' which gives you some insight into their condition by the 1940s. Surely these would at least qualify as amongst the most exotic. 

Eventually once the layout is built some more exotic locos will have survived the cutters torch :)

But in the meantime the track gang are busy!

That’s progress up to now..

And can someone advise- for creating correctly split track sections is that the correct way to insulate dead frog points- I’m reading cj freezers electric book and he advises such to prevent inadvertent point slips resulting in isolated engines running astray... I take it just the feed not the return is split?

Hello, sorry to dredge up an old argument but I recently finished reading 'The Port Road' by Andrew F Swan, a fantastic resource for anyone who wants to know more about the route from Dumfries.

510qXhFixzL._SX394_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Now, in this book it is mentioned that during the war years a pair of ex Highland/ Caledonian Railway 4-6-0s 'River' class were used on troop trains, the story doesn't mention specific identities of the two, but they were apparently nicknamed 'Scharnhorst' and 'Gneisenau' which gives you some insight into their condition by the 1940s. Surely these would at least qualify as amongst the most exotic. 

post-22023-0-48360100-1546980533_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-35085000-1546980545_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

The two 'Rivers' were 14758 and 14760. They weren't actually used on troop trains, but were used to haul the empty stock of forces leave trains from Stranraer to Ayr for servicing. Two of these trains ran each day, one each way between Stranraer and London and one to and from Cardiff. Each could be up to 16 coaches, and Stranraer could only service one train. The other had to be taken to Ayr and back each day. (Information from "Legends of the Glasgow and South Western Railway in LMS Days" by David L. Smith.)

I used to have a link to a picture of one of the Rivers at Ayr shed, but I can't find it just now. If I find it again, I'll post it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder (must look for the book - again)

... were used on troop trains,....

My Father-in-law was reminding us very recently that on his return from 'training' in Northern Ireland in 1942 they had been traveling for what seemed like hours when they realised that they had only reached Castle Douglas.  He had remembered the name for all those years - and now we live there.

Cheers  Ray

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems the whole area above Cairnryan was heavily used for military training as well.

I do like that River Class logo (sounds very Royal Navy). It looks pretty powerful!

I’ve ordered some more locos and stock- just waiting for it all to arrive!

I’ve run out of wood to make the frame for baseboard three :(

In Little Railways of South West Scotland or Tales of the Glasgow and South Western David L Smith have sections on goods working over the Girvan-Stranraer line and refers to 2-10-0s working trains of poison gas shells into Carinryan (presumably for disposal in the Beauforth Dyke) following the ending of WW2. Its possible that the author was referring to the Austerity 2-10-0 locos operated by Scottish Region rather than the British Railways 9F.

It opens up the possibility of 2-10-0s working to Stranraer Town shed in connection with the Cairnryan workings or possibly in connection with scheduled goods trains from Glasgow or Ayr

Yeah, it seems the whole area above Cairnryan was heavily used for military training as well.

I do like that River Class logo (sounds very Royal Navy). It looks pretty powerful!

I’ve ordered some more locos and stock- just waiting for it all to arrive!

I’ve run out of wood to make the frame for baseboard three :(

They had a unique history and I’ve loved the look of them since I found out about them.

David L Smith ... refers to 2-10-0s working trains of poison gas shells into Carinryan (presumably for disposal in the Beauforth Dyke) following the ending of WW2. Its possible that the author was referring to the Austerity 2-10-0 locos operated by Scottish Region rather than the British Railways 9F.

He definitely was referring to WD 2-10-0s. BR Standard 9Fs weren't introduced until 1954, and I don't know of any that ever made it to Stranraer (though there's always the possibility that one did, especially since Kingmoor ended up with quite a few).

If you're looking for 'exotic' locos outside the OP's time period of 1965, you can go back to locos working the Cairnryan Military Railway in WW2. I've seen mention of GWR Dean Goods, LNER J50s and J69s, and SR 'Z' class.

Yeah, I read that there were several accidents and they accidentally blew up one of the piers at Cairnryan. Sadly I guess shortly after my period HMS Eagle would have been dismantled :(

It would be nice to add some pier goods facilities to my Stranraer pier. There was a crane at the pier end and vans/parcels were unloaded but otherwise the rest of the pier was not that suitable for berthing.

It would be nice to include some officer through coaches maybe that get shunted from the military branch (kept open maybe as a Submarine base)...

Main priority now is getting the boards finished and more wood for board 3 and 4!

Edited by danstercivicman

A couple of locos.

Both off eBay.

The 5MT Black Five needed some front end work. She’s a good runner on test :) 44781 will become 44789... Then heavy weathering to follow...with crew and loco amps.

45596 Bahamas needs heavy weathering. Initially slow to run in she’s now steaming fine. I like the double chimney it like they half did the job then couldn’t be bothered to complete it. She will be pulling the Northern Irishman soon.

post-22023-0-68259500-1547067572_thumb.jpg

post-22023-0-35408700-1547067596_thumb.jpg

Slow progress due to work and a poorly child.

The open frame baseboard is proving harder to build than I’d imagined but I think it’s crucial to get the look right. Trackwise the layout seems good but I won’t be track laying until I’ve sealed the boards and considered if I will be laying onto cork or underlay foam.

Stockwise good progress has been made on locos and coaching/goods stock.

I haven’t attempted board 3 yet and need to cross brace board one better.

Board one is on temporary legs atm.

post-22023-0-31168500-1547466117_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-87664000-1547466128_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-39015600-1547466141_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-00696900-1547466159_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My Father-in-law was reminding us very recently that on his return from 'training' in Northern Ireland in 1942 they had been traveling for what seemed like hours when they realised that they had only reached Castle Douglas.  He had remembered the name for all those years - and now we live there.

Cheers  Ray

And still many more hours to go as the troop trains from Stranraer to Euston (and vv) were very slow indeed. My father, who was based for a while in Londonderry,  found that it was much quicker to go from, Kings Cross via Newcastle to Carlisle and join the troop train there.

Thanks Joseph

.. found that it was much quicker to go from, Kings Cross via Newcastle to Carlisle and join the troop train there.

Lots of unanswered questions - 'Grandad' lived in the north east.  So how many times was he allowed 'home leave'.  My thought was - did he have to travel to Euston - obviously 'No' you have answered that question.

Cheers  Ray

Slow progress continued today..,very slow!

The low part will be the sea. That’s the far side which looks at Cairnryan.

I’m quite happy now with the goods stock :)

Board three to build this month.

Board four and five next month (no wood)...

Once board three is done some track laying will begin :)

post-22023-0-49609800-1547730390_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-30072900-1547730402_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-11000600-1547730413_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-88795900-1547730423_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My Father-in-law was reminding us very recently that on his return from 'training' in Northern Ireland in 1942 they had been traveling for what seemed like hours when they realised that they had only reached Castle Douglas. He had remembered the name for all those years - and now we live there.

Cheers Ray

Ahh Castle Douglas , fondly remembered from a family holiday where there was a campsite next to a loch in centre of town. Could hire a rowing boat if I remember correctly . Visited it a few years ago ( actually thinking back it’s got to be at least 10 years possibly longer!) when there used to be a model railway exhibition in Dumfries , did the round trip from home . You can still see traces of the Port Road on the road out to Glasgow .

Great thread , looking forward to seeing it develop

Edited by Legend

Hello, no I have not considered that. I think given my DIY skills prob best to stick to 50mm!

Have you considered modifying the points to give a more correct track spacing (45mm centres rather than 50mm)? Looks a lot better and saves a bit of space.

Yeah, noise is not so much of an issue but vertical movement of track is...

I would never lay track direct onto ply. Very noisy when running.

Further progress made. Board three is now up on temporary legs but... I have run out of wood and dollar...

I’ve decided that the curve will be hidden behind the backscene.

I am using 915mm tracksetta into 762mm curve but may be forced to tighten it into 630mm radius.

On the other side I will go into a fan of turnouts as an entry to the fiddleyard or my original cassette idea..haven’t decided yet. Cassettes are cheaper in someways but turnouts seem to be used by a great many modellers.

post-22023-0-60156300-1547922923_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-44061200-1547922934_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-64924900-1547922947_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-84297200-1547922959_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-23223900-1547922972_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-09321300-1547922985_thumb.jpeg

post-22023-0-21335400-1547922999_thumb.jpeg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 1