Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

Speaking of freight...

(Please see Page 39

for the UP ‘N.Irishman’) 

The 22:40 XP Parcel will leave behind 6MT Clan 72005.  It will have wagons added and removed at Dumfries and Carlisle.  Some stock will then run southward towards the Midlands and London.  

As freight is in full flow the train will run ahead of the Conflat and fitted van train hauled by Crab 42789.

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 1

I forgot to mention the 23:05 Port Road Stopper.  This is more of a local get home train and doesn’t run the full length of the line...

That leaves the stock of the Glasgow to be pulled back.

The last Train due in (which I had also forgotten until I checked the timetable) is the 23:48 Boat Train from Glasgow which is a DMU multiple set (should be a Class 126)... that can wait for tomorrow.

If only Bachmann made a Class 126 (PLEASE!!!!) 

The passengers from that train had just over seven hours until the Ferry sailed.  It must have been quite an awful wait if the weather was bad as there is only a small station building and then just the canopies for shelter.  

The DOWN N.Irishman arrived at 5:40hrs so its passengers had a shorter wait.  

Of course then Goods Trains started to arrive so it would have been noisy until the Ferry sailed.  

If if I had planned the layout better I would have incorporated dual lighting and dawn lighting... Stranraer Harbour did come alive in these wee hours. 

One day post Covid I will visit the real thing! 

E0A4B896-FDCF-4A72-8992-6C19E877CB8D.jpeg

06195DE5-FF6A-4CDF-9534-8CAEA22D2245.jpeg

D208D184-64A7-4302-8EA0-D275EC317E24.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Brian D said:

Dan, any chance of a video link. Your pics are just a bit of a tease me thinks. Great layout my friend.

Regards,

Brian 

I’d love too.

I tried a short video before but it went above the 10mb limit..

Do you add yours to YouTube then add a link to get past the above? 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

I’d love too.

Yes would be the easiest answer, it is what I have done for my video content on RMWeb. The cap as you state prohibits any reasonable video clip. Youtube is very easy to use although the log in process is a PITA at times.  

• Like 1

On 15/10/2020 at 21:51, danstercivicman said:

There was normally a ferry oil tank wagon left in platform 1 (the Bay) and later I think a more elaborate set up over the other side of the pier.  It’s really hard to determine which oil tankers are suitable.  I guess the 5 planks would be unfitted grey in my period?  I guess everything would also be filthy! 

Good morning Dan

Great to see more photos of workings.

If the tank wagons were carrying heavy bunker oil (a horrid polluting substance used by steam turbine ships) did they have a stationary boiler with heating coils in the tank wagons? I wonder because my avatar (231G558) only survived into preservation by being used for that purpose at Dieppe Maritime to supply a single turbine ferry when the others were diesel. 

I also wondered whether the passengers off the 23.48 boat train really had to wait on the station till morning? Unlike modern car ferries, traditional railway ferries spent a lot of time in port between crossings so it would be interesting to know at what time they were allowed to board.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

I’d love too.

Yes, that's the only way I know of doing it. You have to set up your own  YouTube "channel" and make your videos public to share the link. 

Regards, 

Brian. 

• Like 1

Princess Victoria (1947-53) was deisel. Hampton ferry (53-61?) and Caledonian Princess (61 on) were both steam turbines but fuelled by what I don't know. The evidence (from a railway modelling point of view) is Class B 14t tanks left in the bay platform but whether they contained deisel or bunker oil is a good question. I was using 'bunkering' in its wider sense of 'fuelling a ship' be that with coal, oil or deisel, rather than specifially with bunker oil. I've not come across any reference to a stationary boiler at Stranraer, either static or loco.

Having said that, I haven't looked very hard - I have the advantage over Dan that by the time the train gets to my shed (Newton Stewart) it doesn't matter which bit of Stranraer it started off in, it just has to look like the prototype photo !

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 16/10/2020 at 16:31, danstercivicman said:

I’d certainly have to remortgage :)

Yes a Ferry would be awesome!

I’m planning more yard lamps in the run up to Christmas then sorting the loco fleet into relevant loco numbers...

Thank you for the comments.  I look at many of the layouts on RMWEB and realise how mediocre my efforts are! 

Hi Dan

Are you enjoying what you do? If yes then that is well above being mediocre.

Are you learning as you build Stranner? if yes than that is well above being mediocre.

Hi everyone else,

Are you enjoying seeing what Dan is achieving, and is it above mediocre? I think it is.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

3 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Good morning Dan

If the tank wagons were carrying heavy bunker oil (a horrid polluting substance used by steam turbine ships) did they have a stationary boiler with heating coils in the tank wagons? I wonder because my avatar (231G558) only survived into preservation by being used for that purpose at Dieppe Maritime to supply a single turbine ferry when the others were diesel. 

I also wondered whether the passengers off the 23.48 boat train really had to wait on the station till morning? Unlike modern car ferries, traditional railway ferries spent a lot of time in port between crossings so it would be interesting to know at what time they were allowed to board.

Hello,

Yes-according to the reading I’ve done they had to wait around until the Ferry was ready... apparently it was very noisy!  

I think it was diesel....no sign of stationary engines or heating coils from what I can see...

4 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Dan

Are you enjoying what you do? If yes then that is well above being mediocre.

Are you learning as you build Stranner? if yes than that is well above being mediocre.

Hi everyone else,

Are you enjoying seeing what Dan is achieving, and is it above mediocre? I think it is.

Hi Clive, 

A good reminder cheers :)

Yes learning from every step!!

I’m also considering building a Class 126 from coaches like your DMU’s!

Best

dan 

• Like 1

Here is my attempt at portraying the 23:48 arrival more accurately!  I definitely need to invest in lighting!  I used the light switch and a small lamp- no DCC here!!! 

I also need to invest in coach passengers...invest in yard lights for the pier and lights for the goods yard, coach lighting, building lighting and head code lamps...

The back scene needs raising.  Then I need a coastal noise sound player and seagull noises!! 

• Like 7

I’ve also realised for my Port Patrick Branch service to work and run to the Harbour I may need to have a push pull working  :)

An Ivatt 2MT and an auto-coach (pull push) or a Heljan Rail Bus...

Does anyone have any of these Ferry timetables lying around?

http://www.timetableimages.com/maritime/images/br.htm

I could really do with knowing the exact ferry sailing times...

10 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Good morning Dan

You were right..

I have found the answer:

http://hhvferry.com/blog/?p=2348

Passengers from the late or early morning sailings could stay overnight on the ship before/after their sailing 

• danstercivicman changed the title to Running to Timetable- Now with Videos!!! - Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64
14 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

You were right..

I have found the answer:

http://hhvferry.com/blog/?p=2348

Passengers from the late or early morning sailings could stay overnight on the ship before/after their sailing 

But reading the blog, possibly only those with berths so perhaps I was only half right .

You used to be able to use BR sleeping car berths for some time before departure and after arrival so they may have been following the same practice (Obviously that didn't apply if you were alighting before the sleeping car's final destination but for ferries I think that only applied to the Channel Islands though I'm not sure about the Scottish islands )

My memory is a bit dim over fifty years on but I can remember travelling from Newcastle to Exeter by sleeper for a University interview on what was largely a parcels train and I'm sure I went to bed some time before the train left Newcastle (though the clatter of BRUTEs and parcels being loaded rather limited my sleep) I also travelled down to KX and I'm sure the sleepers were left parked on a platform for a couple of hours so that we could get up at a more civilised hour.

BR sleepers, like BR restaurant cars,  were a remarkably civilised form of travel and no more expensive AFAIR than the far inferior six berth couchettes I travelled on in Europe. Actual Voiture Lits sleepers in Europe were well outside my price range (as were full service CIWL restaurant cars) but a BR sleeper was no more expensive than staying in a moderately priced hotel and far more civilised than getting up at the crack of dawn to catch an early morning flight to the same destination. I always travelled second class but I don't remember ever having to share the cabin with a stranger.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

My daughter and wife have helped me make a proper video!

It is a lot easier than I thought! 

Enjoy the basic proper video MK.1 

Very good work Dan. I wish more people would learn to use tripods (or at least support the camera in some way), make sparing if any use of the zoom and not try to follow everything with the camera but let things move through the frame as you have done. I particularly liked the night time shot of the boat train DMU from Glasgow- very atmospheric. What sort of camera did you use (and it is possible to produce good cinematography with a smart phone?) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Very good work Dan. I wish more people would learn to use tripods (or at least support the camera in some way), make sparing if any use of the zoom and not try to follow everything with the camera but let things move through the frame as you have done. I particularly liked the night time shot of the boat train DMU from Glasgow- very atmospheric. What sort of camera did you use (and it is possible to produce good cinematography with a smart phone?) 

Haha yes I do need to get one.  Resting the iPhone onto of a scamell is ok until the scamell moves!  

Its just an iphone :)

Very much a test :) 

1 hour ago, danstercivicman said:

Haha yes I do need to get one.  Resting the iPhone onto of a scamell is ok until the scamell moves!  

Its just an iphone :)

Very much a test :) 

A very successful test and a perfectly valid and ingenious solution: anything that you can move smoothly can become a camera mount and for filming small objects like model trains  the small sensor size can be an advantage .  

Last November I organised a Royal TV Society session called Production in Your Pocket about getting broadcast quality resuilts out of smartphones given by an amazing lady called Deirdre Mulcahy who was a BBC news camerawoman in many of the world's hotspots and now trains people in such techniques (as well as using "proper" cameras) I've not looked at my fairly ancient iPhone in quite the same way since.

https://rts.org.uk/article/making-professional-productions-go

We were going to go on to the Cutting Room in your Pocket this year and hope to when we can do live sessions again.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2