Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

19 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I also travelled down to KX and I'm sure the sleepers were left parked on a platform for a couple of hours so that we could get up at a more civilised hour.

Yes David you are perfectly correct.

I took a job on the outskirts of Edinburgh in 1972 and I had to attend regular meeting near Bedford.  My wife would drive me to Waverly for 'the sleeper' around 11:00pm which after stopping and starting at all stations to Newcastle eventually arrived at KingsX in the very early hours of the mornng.  Yes you could stay in your bunk to recover or in my case until I partook of breakfast in the station cafe before crossing to St Pancras for the Beford line.  The meetings were usually over by lunch time with time to travel home in the afternoon / evening.

Move forward ten years and now based near Newcastle.  We had the 125 HSTs which allowed day returns to the Capital (with cooked breakfast outwards and dinner on return).  Very civilised.

Ray

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Yes David you are perfectly correct.

I took a job on the outskirts of Edinburgh in 1972 and I had to attend regular meeting near Bedford.  My wife would drive me to Waverly for 'the sleeper' around 11:00pm which after stopping and starting at all stations to Newcastle eventually arrived at KingsX in the very early hours of the mornng.  Yes you could stay in your bunk to recover or in my case until I partook of breakfast in the station cafe before crossing to St Pancras for the Beford line.  The meetings were usually over by lunch time with time to travel home in the afternoon / evening.

Move forward ten years and now based near Newcastle.  We had the 125 HSTs which allowed day returns to the Capital (with cooked breakfast outwards and dinner on return).  Very civilised.

Ray

Some of my earliest memories are going on the intercity 125’s from Leicester to London to visit the science museum :)

One day I’ll have to have a 125 at Stranraer...

They were blue and grey at first then the swallow thing livery...

I also remember the drone of 25’s and 47’s late at night on the midland mainline.. 

• Like 2

On 18/10/2020 at 21:07, danstercivicman said:

My daughter and wife have helped me make a proper video!

It is a lot easier than I thought! 

Enjoy the basic proper video MK.1 

Excellent debut video Dan.  Keep them coming.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

I’ve also figured out some of the Locos that will eventually be depicted:

6MT Clan 72005 C Head Code Parcel/Fitted

6MT Clan 72008 XP 

Jubilee

45715 Invincible XP 

45718 Dreadnought (TO GET) 

45691 Orion XP

45638 Samson C Head Code Parcel/Fitted - this will be Bahamas with the chimney cut off and a new one fitted...

Stanier 5MT

I’m still working on these..  

If anyone has a single Chimney 6 bolt boiler Jubilee body shell lying around or a combined/early 5MT shell please let me know :) 

1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

I trust you've noticed that Samson kept its early crest until the end :-)

45738 Samson May become 45729 Furious.. my Jubilees will all need red backed ‘Kingmoor’ name plates... 

45588 Kashmir would also be a good loco to do 

Edited by danstercivicman

Samson is extremely useful if you want to be vague about period as I do :-) 

Kashmir was short firebox so can be done from the current Bachmann model. It's also a rare example of a clean Kingmoor Jubilee. Clean Kingmoor anything in fact !

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1

I have decided to bite the big bullet and soon will begin the construction of a Class 126 (59 series) three car set...

I’ll be following the work done by Signaller69 and Brian Kirby.

I’ll be using Trix coaches on Replica Railways 64ft underframes..

I’m still unsure of the power unit but I’m thinking the Replica setup may be the best although I have the Class 110 bogies I can use...

Best

Dan 

• Like 3

Big plea... if anyone has Trix RMB/CK BR Mk.1’s (sides and lids) they no longer need please PM me!  I think I’ll have to cut a fair few up to get the sides!

The first set will be:

DMBS

TCK 

DMS 

Not sure if the terms are correct so I’m laymans terms

The Brake Coach with the full cab 

The middle coach 

The end coach with the gangway and the half cab.

• Like 2

I went abit mad on eBay...

45455 in pristine condition :)

Perfect :) 

I’ve added crew and C parcel/fitted head lamp (non working lamps) but the weathering was already done. 

45455 was a loco seen in the region and has the more typical boiler/feed/dome arrangement seen on the Port Road. 

446B95D1-63ED-41DD-9012-592B00F7DDAC.jpeg

A08BE967-60C5-4406-8342-E2729D4254A9.jpeg

• Like 5

More renumbering... 

44977 a local 5MT (to be weathered)

45691 ‘Orion’ a key Jubilee on the route

I’ve found you have to really cut the Transfers tightly to the numbers...

Replica Railways parts have arrived today.  The Trix coaches also arrived but my son is playing with them on his brio!!!

C5E6AA8D-D3B5-4AE5-9117-36E8B3F46422.jpeg

6D4BE6B1-3C7B-427A-B74F-65594B64D88C.jpeg

• Like 2

The hardest thing is finding the relevant 5MT’s..

I need a combined top feed/dome to make 45012

I have another earlier type boiler 5MT but it needs a chassis and tender- That will become 45469 which I think was the last loco to run a train on the Port Road.

44726 is still to go.  That’s a late type boiler 5MT. 

Jubilee wise an early 5 bolt Jubilee 45588 ‘Kashmir’ would be nice :) 

Another STD 5MT BR1 tender- 73009 or a BR1B Tendered 73100

After all of that activity and the release of the ECS and locos Stranraer Harbour becomes a giant shunting puzzle...

in reality there is double the end of pier siding length but I think the Hunslet still had a busy time!!

This is one reason why I love the layout.  You can spend hrs shunting trucks or running services! 

The next UP Goods was from Stranraer Town at around 06:25 so until 07:40 no passenger services left from the Harbour.  

The 08:15 and 10:05 services were from Stranraer Town...

9F5863DC-63B3-42D6-B730-3DB00387F169.jpeg

29692731-07BB-4348-8ABC-B97FC8E9FFA5.jpeg

16532281-C27A-4C51-BD81-A40AF9FA3B88.jpeg

4E1C9BC8-07D7-46D6-87DF-42B04D829570.jpeg

3D4FB814-C856-4DC8-9090-29A70A378F0E.jpeg

Spelling
  • Like 7

Shunting is very enjoyable.  It’s a good way to de stress.  

The Heljan Hunslet is an excellent loco.

Recording and controlling the train is quite hard so it’s a bit of a jerky stop at the end but that’s because I’m reliant on the track isolator!   I can’t tecord and get back to the controller! 

• Like 5

On 28/10/2020 at 17:57, danstercivicman said:

Big plea... if anyone has Trix RMB/CK BR Mk.1’s (sides and lids) they no longer need please PM me!  I think I’ll have to cut a fair few up to get the sides!

The first set will be:

DMBS

TCK 

DMS 

Not sure if the terms are correct so I’m laymans terms

The Brake Coach with the full cab 

The middle coach 

The end coach with the gangway and the half cab.

The correct terms are DMBS(L) and DMS(I), L for leading and I for intermediate. There was also a DMBS(I) in the 79xxx series, some of which were allocated to Ayr at various times. I look forward to your build of a Class 126. I too have one on my to do list and have been collecting the various bits required.

Brian.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Shunting is very enjoyable.  It’s a good way to de stress.  

Recording and controlling the train is quite hard ............ I can’t tecord and get back to the controller! 

Agree - in fact watching the trains go by is immensly restful.

Recording and controlling - tell me about it.  With care and patience, and a DS Controller life can appear to be simpler.

Cheers Ray

• Like 1