Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

The UP N.Irishman departs followed by the UP night Parcels!

It should really be pitch black (being 22:00 on a dark Scottish night) but sadly I didn’t consider that aspect of the layout when I started.   Maybe I will learn how to wire lights up and carriage lights one day... 2025 maybe? 

The fact that these trains trains ran at night and in the early hours of the morning probably accounts for the lack of photographs. 

It would look atmospheric. 

Some more scenic work but I’m still waiting for the paper mache to dry so the bridge side can’t go in yet. 

The joys of children brings some unexpected visitors to the layout! 

82DB4D09-82F9-4CFF-9815-AABE2BCF7714.jpeg

A77D27B0-9432-4E80-B29B-89AEC4FD10C8.jpeg

C0329A69-1A40-4735-A26D-E1330890A1F9.jpeg

image.jpg

It’s still light at 22.00 around midsummer in Cardiff, and Stranraer is a long way north from here, so the Northern Irishman and the following parcels departing in daylight is entirely feasible.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good to know my layout isn’t hopelessly flawed!

Progress report:

I was amazed to find a picture from 1966 in one of my books which shows the Lairage. 

The cattle pens were quite big so mine is very condensed.  I was amazed to see that the lairage had some timber/clapboard black buildings and a tall red brick building with a circular window in it.  

No evidence of a weigh bridge.  I think I will remove it and save it for another project. 

I’ve decided that I will build a girder bridge.  The paper mache is still not dry...

6F498058-A3FF-4D96-9884-C85DAB21F331.jpeg

D5D282B2-8F40-427B-B39F-0A0CD52591EF.jpeg

9B14A184-E709-40BC-A535-6B4C20D4BAA1.jpeg

657F5E6B-9A1C-4974-8BD9-EACEF296A221.jpeg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Hi Dan

Have I shared this image before (Ref: K Sanders and D Hodgins 1995 British Railways Past and Present - No 19 South West Scotland)?

7979209198_1c7b8a929e_k.jpg

7979206089_8c3c9268bd_k.jpg

Ray

Cheers Ray :) 

The cattle wagons to the left.  The tall building behind them is red brick.  The  buildings behind that are the clapboard/wooden ones.  Pens in front (mine are at the back)...

I’m not quite as it appears the road runs between the buildings and the pens...

The 2P is running great :) 

• Thanks 1

Boring jobs tonight.  More point rodding.

Most importantly I realised that if I cleaned the Class 110’s wheels it runs perfectly!  Which fuelled thoughts of another Class 110 so that they can be coupled up!  It’s a shame there is no class 126!

I also had to get my Clan out cos she’s such a beautiful loco! 

The Lord Raleigh tanker will be repainted. 

5528A7EB-8772-40A0-94D2-342ADEE95A3F.jpeg

891554C9-E484-4C2F-9BEB-E6CAEC60B0E7.jpeg

AE9F3C24-C6AA-454F-9E9E-5F8597FA6F44.jpeg

A4A54F41-813B-4006-86A9-9A815797CA1E.jpeg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Dan, the layout is coming on a treat.

Looking at the extensive rows of point rodding, I'm wondering if you have shares in Wills kits?! It looks very effective.

The backscene also works very well I think.

Martyn.

Thank you :)

I did have to invest in a few sets!  

Its quite a feature of the prototype and mine is really more of a representation. 

Thank you you for the kind comments,

Dan 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

And a reminder that rodding is an outstanding task on my layout, one I'm not really looking forward to but yours shows that it is definitely worth the effort!

It is tedious and expensive but once it’s down it looks better.  

Its such a feature of Stranraer Harbour Station that I just could not avoid it! 

There was quite a lot and it all seemed to run down the far side! 

Im not sure what to do for the points at the rear of the station.  

• RMweb Gold

Try 2 parts humbrol metalcoat polished steel to one part metalcoat gunmetal or even 3 to 1. The polished steel does not cover very well so you have to mix it with something. If you don't want to use the gunmetal, it is very dark, then use ordinary gunmetal or add polished aluminium to lighten it up.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention earlier that once the paint has dried properly you can then gently polish it with a cotton bud or piece of tissue and it will begin to shine just like polished steel. You can do this with any of the metalcoat range. If you make up a rust colour using 113 rust or 62 leather mixed with any of the metalcoat range, which will give you just about any shade of rust you can think of, you can polish this as well and it will glitter with tiny flakes of metal just like real rust does as light plays across it, great for mineral wagons. 

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I forgot to mention earlier that once the paint has dried properly you can then gently polish it with a cotton bud or piece of tissue and it will begin to shine just like polished steel. You can do this with any of the metalcoat range. If you make up a rust colour using 113 rust or 62 leather mixed with any of the metalcoat range, which will give you just about any shade of rust you can think of, you can polish this as well and it will glitter with tiny flakes of metal just like real rust does as light plays across it, great for mineral wagons. 

Regards Lez.  

Nice tip Lez!

Good to know!