BRM February '19

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Welcome one and all to our latest issue of BRM, available as a digital edition now from pocketmags.com/BRM (print copies available Jan 3).
Inside this packed issue, you'll find plenty of modellable projects covering a variety of tastes to keep you entertained, give you ideas or perhaps even change your project plans this new year. Plus, don't miss our selection of three fantastic model railways in N, OO and O gauges, each brilliant examples of creativity in their own right.

post-8492-0-40727100-1545921540_thumb.jpg

On this episode of BRM TV:

post-8492-0-30673200-1545922020_thumb.jpg

In this modelling-packed episode, let the scenic charms from our layout of the month, 'Portchullin' take you on a voyage back to the Scottish Highlands in the 1970s. In the studio, Howard Smith builds a fir tree kit from the Model Tree Shop, giving it a distressed look and Phil Parker builds a container kit from ScaleModelScenery.

Here's what you'll find inside our February 2019 issue:

LAYOUTS
SCORBITON (OO)
The story behind Kendal MRC's exhibition show-stopper set in the Welsh Marches area.
post-8492-0-15342300-1545918308_thumb.jpg
post-8492-0-70848500-1545918323_thumb.jpg

HARTLEY POOLE (N)
The journey from inception to exhibition on the latest layout to emerge from the prolific Alsager Model Railway Association.
post-8492-0-86895400-1545918408_thumb.jpg
NORMANDY JUNCTION SHED (O)
The project leader of Guildford O Gauge Group’s multi-regional layout describes its creation and usefulness to club members.
post-8492-0-49099900-1545918500_thumb.jpg

PLUS...DIESELS AT PENDON MUSEUM
How the services of the 1930s evolved using diesel locomotives on Pendon’s new Bristol Line.
post-8492-0-96370700-1545918532_thumb.jpg

PRACTICAL BRM
BUXTON – A LAYOUT CONCEPT
A new series by TRACTION editor, Stephen Rabone, where we solve diesel-era layout planning problems.
post-8492-0-67614500-1545919255_thumb.jpg
PAINTING 3D FIGURES
Phil Parker shares a few tricks to make painting figures easier with a project that modellers of all abilities can achieve. It's the BRM team in miniature!
post-8492-0-14590900-1545919435_thumb.jpg
ADD ETCHED DEPOT PLAQUES
Simon Bendall provides a mess-free solution for adding depot plaques to Railfreight-era locomotives.
post-8492-0-59498300-1545919492_thumb.jpg
HOW TO SET-UP A DCC DECODER
Ian Mellors guides you through your first programming steps to suit driving or operating requirements.
post-8492-0-80614100-1545919640_thumb.jpg
BUILD AN ACE P2 IN OO GAUGE
Tony Wright constructs an ACE Models' P2 in OO: Britain's most powerful express passenger steam locomotive.
post-8492-0-52204700-1545919812_thumb.jpg

MAKE A FIR TREE
Howard Smith creates two distressed fir trees from a multi-pack kit by Coastmans.
post-8492-0-38480000-1545919886_thumb.jpg

LINE YOUR STOCK
Michael Russell’s guidance will break your fear of using a lining or gel pen on your most cherished models, to achieve a quality finish.

PRODUCTS, FEATURES & REVIEWS

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
Pip Dunn explains the history of depot plaques and their association with the re-birth of Railfreight.
TRADE NEWS
Product news from Warley including new announcements from Heljan, Bachmann, Rails of Sheffield and more…
GOODS INWARDS
A bumper haul of the latest modelling accessories and tools for your layout.

SCALE MODEL SCENERY CATENARY STRUCTURES
These new laser-cut kits in OO offer a modular system, but are they easily assembled and how do they look?
DONCASTER SHOW PREVIEW
Doncaster show is nearly here and with over 30 model railways and more than 80 quality traders, here are some reasons to visit this year's show.
TAIL LAMP
Fran Burke, Irish Railway Models’ Director of Communications explains how a new model railway brand for the British market was developed by enthusiasts over a pint in the pub.

Winter is cold, so keep warm indoors by the fire this festive season with a digital edition available now (from pocketmags.com/BRM) or print copy (on-sale January 3) of your favourite modelling magazine, BRM.

From all of us here at BRM, we hope you had a great Christmas and we wish you a happy new year!
Howard

Feature_11.jpg

Feature_4 full page.jpg

Feature_9.jpg

Normandy 07.jpg

1.jpg

Buxton Illustration rmweb.jpg

Finished 3.jpg

Picture 05.jpg

Simple CVs-3.jpg

P2 20 painted.jpg

B.jpg

p001_BRMFeb19 4.75.jpg

BRM_DVD_Jacket_February.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

An enjoyable issue but two of the book reviews on page 131 have ended up mixing up the details of two books in each case. So what were the reviews meant to be, ‘The King’s Cross Story’ or ‘Atlas of Railway Station Closures’ and ‘LMS Review No. 3 or ‘Southern Style - After Nationalisation 1948-1964’?

• Administrators

An enjoyable issue but two of the book reviews on page 131 have ended up mixing up the details of two books in each case. So what were the reviews meant to be, ‘The King’s Cross Story’ or ‘Atlas of Railway Station Closures’ and ‘LMS Review No. 3 or ‘Southern Style - After Nationalisation 1948-1964’?

The Kings Cross Story was reviewed in the January issue, not this one, the title has been left behind but the book cover and review go together. It looks like the Southern Style review is correct, but the title and cover aren't. Sorry about this.

• RMweb Premium

Received my subs copy yesterday, I’m in love...scorbiton is absolutely stunning, given me soooooo many ideas (that I’ll never fit in) for the new garage layout in particular the town climbing the hillside in the corner

Yup, saw it at Wigan show this year. Truly amazing layout.

My personal apologies, Alan,

As you've probably figured out, I wrote the book reviews this month (though not the Kings Cross one). 

One job I'm taking on is proof-reading BRM to try to intercept odd typos and errors (a hard task with any publication - I know), but these have slipped through. It's a pity the HMRS volume was one of those muddled up, because it really is superb.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Please can we confirm if the print issue has a DVD this month, really would like to see the feature on Portchullin

The DVD is for subscription/digital issues for the next few months at least Rich, newsstand copies have added value gifts or bundles.

Thanks for the prompt reply Andy. I shall have to "perform an options appraisal" (argh, what a phrase!)

For some people, I could imagine the relevant option consisting of a standing order - for DVDs - using a PM or via the "World of Railways" site.

Well, I guess it's either that or asking if a set of the things could be collected from "Ally Pally" (other shows with a BRM presence are also available).

In the long run, I could see Warners' options including:

• A return to DVDs with every copy (however / wherever sold).
  • Making the DVD content available as downloads from the "World of Railways" website.
  • Offering annual compilation DVDs / sets (probably making the 2 most recent complete years' content available) at shows with a BRM / Warners presence.

Of course, it's always possible that Warners might opt for "none of the above" - but I think it's clear that a number of regular readers are never likely to take out "subs", for various reasons. (In my case these reasons include - wanting to buy from a local shop - and finding it easier to keep control of the "folding stuff" if I physically remove it from a wallet and count it out whenever I buy anything. As you might have guessed, I've never had a credit card - I've never wanted one - and I don't see this changing.)

I am, however, looking forward to seeing the Feb 2019 edition in the shops - it sounds like it could be very interesting indeed.

Huw.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One plea please.  Now I realise that my eyes are ageing along with the rest of me but the lack of contrast involved in white text on a pale red background is bl**dy difficult to read in just about any light so please do something about it to create a greater contrast between text and background colours.

Thank you.

If I could go into rant mode about the overhead electrification structures. They are not gantries :nono: , they are PORTAL STRUCTURES :shout: . I had an ear-bending from the LMR Overhead Line Engineer once and have never forgotten it. There is also a reference to "headspan girders". Headspan systems don't have girders, that's why they are called headspan.

Rant over. Happy new year everybody.

Hat, coat.

• RMweb Gold

If I could go into rant mode about the overhead electrification structures. They are not gantries :nono: , they are PORTAL STRUCTURES :shout: . I had an ear-bending from the LMR Overhead Line Engineer once and have never forgotten it. There is also a reference to "headspan girders". Headspan systems don't have girders, that's why they are called headspan.

Hat, coat.

• RMweb Gold

If I could go into rant mode about the overhead electrification structures. They are not gantries :nono: , they are PORTAL STRUCTURES :shout: . I had an ear-bending from the LMR Overhead Line Engineer once and have never forgotten it. There is also a reference to "headspan girders". Headspan systems don't have girders, that's why they are called headspan.

Hat, coat.

You should have told him to grow up! It would have saved you years of anguish ;)

Griff

Headspan systems don't have girders, that's why they are called headspan.

The parts are referred to as headspans by the kit manufacturer, both in their advertising and on the packets. Given there were six different kits involved in the review, the same terminology was retained in order to aid identification of the parts being dealt with.

• Moderators

One plea please.  Now I realise that my eyes are ageing along with the rest of me but the lack of contrast involved in white text on a pale red background is bl**dy difficult to read in just about any light so please do something about it to create a greater contrast between text and background colours.

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback Mike, we'll see what we can do...