BRM February '19

Howard Smith

The parts are referred to as headspans by the kit manufacturer, both in their advertising and on the packets. Given there were six different kits involved in the review, the same terminology was retained in order to aid identification of the parts being dealt with.

So the kit manufacturers need educating as well then  :scratchhead:.

The print edition comes with 4 moulded BRM figures and a paintbrush for £5.49.

Although based on Modelu 3D scans, the figures appear to be moulded rather than 3D printed. Even so, this is still a great value offer. I'm sure they will be appearing on many cake box dioramas in the coming months.

By bizarre coincidence, four figures and a paintbrush are worth EXACTLY the same as the missing £7.99 DVD. That was a stroke of luck!

post-29671-0-85084300-1546527572_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cornholio
  • Like 3

Very useful if you need a fat bloke fiddling with his Zenit EM for the end of your platform. You don't even have to worry about painting hair. Or you could if you would like to be viewed more favourably. ;)

• Like 4

Really pleased as it comes with four figures and which I will be using on my layout.

Please do share a picture or two of how you've painted us up and where we've been chosen to stand on your layouts.

• RMweb Gold

One plea please.  Now I realise that my eyes are ageing along with the rest of me but the lack of contrast involved in white text on a pale red background is bl**dy difficult to read in just about any light so please do something about it to create a greater contrast between text and background colours.

Thank you.

Absolute priority, extremely annoying feature of too many modern magazine editions across the board; because you can doesn't mean you should.

I was very miffed to see that the gang of four were being given out with the news-stand issue, whilst the PBS (Poor Blxxdy Subscriber) only gets a drinks coaster!

I do see uses for a bloke with a notebook and his mate with the camera.....

Any way to obtain the 4 mm BRM Fab Four if you are an electronic subscriber.  You could send stl files for us to print locally on our home 3 D printer to keep it entirely electronic. (Paint brush not needed.  Have plenty of those on hand.) Maybe the figures will show up on eBay soon from disgruntled N and 7 mm news stand purchasers. 

Suggestions on a postcard to our boss, the publisher.

Plain brown envelope....  :O

Or, put it this way, one of my Cakebox 2019/1 ideas was for a couple of trainspotters standing by a fence, having completely ignored the "Beware of the Bull" sign,  with imminent nemesis stalking behind them.

If it were a Zenit EM, you could just bean the bull with it!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Please do share a picture or two of how you've painted us up and where we've been chosen to stand on your layouts.

What a great and innovative idea and I'm already planning one for next to Mr Warburton on the down platform. I'm assuming you're the figure with his ABC/camera in his hand. ;)

post-126-0-98327400-1546543471_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 4

Plain brown envelope....  :O

Or, put it this way, one of my Cakebox 2019/1 ideas was for a couple of trainspotters standing by a fence, having completely ignored the "Beware of the Bull" sign,  with imminent nemesis stalking behind them.

If it were a Zenit EM, you could just bean the bull with it!

?

post-9335-0-16592200-1546545258_thumb.jpg

I was photographing the Baby when suddenly I looked up and I RAN like hell.

Edited by Andrew P

• Administrators

I was very miffed to see that the gang of four were being given out with the news-stand issue, whilst the PBS (Poor Blxxdy Subscriber) only gets a drinks coaster!

A drinks coaster full of content that we put a lot of time and money in to producing.

• Administrators

What a great and innovative idea and I'm already planning one for next to Mr Warburton on the down platform. I'm assuming you're the figure with his ABC in his hand. ;)

attachicon.gifBRM.jpg

Really? I think if you look at the accompanying article, I think Andy Y is the most recognisable of all of us. Obviously not!

Really appreciated the figures and the brush to paint 'em with. All four will end up as crews for my Peckett and Barclay, including Phil reading the instruction book and Andy with a packet of sarnies

• Like 2

Really appreciated the figures and the brush to paint 'em with. All four will end up as crews for my Peckett and Barclay, including Phil reading the instruction book and Andy with a packet of sarnies

It must be a first for a cover-mounted gift to be in S scale. A rough measurement makes the figures about 6 foot 9 inches in OO but 5 foot 7 inches (or thereabouts) in S. I forsee amputations in the future to fit into your Pecketts and Barclays!

Roger

• RMweb Gold

The print edition comes with 4 moulded BRM figures and a paintbrush for £5.49.

Make that a Pro Arte series 204 acrylix flat brush and some of us would be very interested indeed ... . Just saying ... .

Joking aside - and most definitely not a criticism - any items included in a bag with a magazine will always be of more use to some people than they might be to others.

Very useful if you need a fat bloke fiddling with his Zenit EM for the end of your platform. You don't even have to worry about painting hair. Or you could if you would like to be viewed more favourably. ;)

Yes. Right.

Whilst on the subject of "viewing", I've just remembered that, in a few months' time, I'll need to make an appointment to see my optometrist. Like a lot of people in their 50s, my close-up vision isn't quite as good as it used to be ... .

Picked up my printed edition today. Really pleased as it comes with four figures and which I will be using on my layout. Great reading and inspirational layouts. Well done guys. ;)

I do see uses for a bloke with a notebook and his mate with the camera.....

Don't tell me - someone's running a "time and motion study" on modelmaking activity by "the average enthusiast" ... or perhaps not ... .

As for the drinks coaster, some of us might be more interested if it had "Hoegaarden*" printed on it.

(* Other nourishing beverages are also available ... .)

Any way to obtain the 4 mm BRM Fab Four if you are an electronic subscriber.  You could send stl files for us to print locally on our home 3 D printer to keep it entirely electronic. (Paint brush not needed.  Have plenty of those on hand.) Maybe the figures will show up on eBay soon from disgruntled N and 7 mm news stand purchasers. 

Meanwhile, some newsstand customers who model in O, HO, N etc might be more interested in viewing the DVD content.

Some of us haven't yet encountered the January DVD - but we're already getting the "look at what you could have won" routine about the February DVD.

I think if you look at the accompanying article, I think Andy Y is the most recognisable of all of us. Obviously not!

Meanwhile, with all the talk of a "gang of four", I could imagine anybody looking for clues about the next BRM Editor being disappointed.

Don't worry. I'm sure we can all wait to find out - when Warners are in a position to be able to go public about some new guy who will, hopefully, get the genuine backing of everyone around these parts.

In the meantime, I'm sure the magazines will continue to be a tough act to follow for any newcomer to the team (as for the DVDs, I look forward to all of us getting the chance to find out - preferably sooner, rather than later).

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, with all the talk of a "gang of four", I could imagine anybody looking for clues about the next BRM Editor being disappointed.

Don't worry. I'm sure we can all wait to find out - when Warners are in a position to be able to go public about some new guy who will, hopefully, get the genuine backing of everyone around these parts.

In the meantime, I'm sure the magazines will continue to be a tough act to follow for any newcomer to the team (as for the DVDs, I look forward to all of us getting the chance to find out - preferably sooner, rather than later).

Regards,

Huw.

Actually I think the present 'commune' approach seems to be working rather well - the content is a good mix of subjects; that white on red business apart the page layout is pretty good and excellent in places although some captions get a bit lost when printed over colour photos of layouts;  there area few editing/trypo errors but that happened anyway when there as an editor and at least the real howlers have gone.  So if they're up to it and have the time keep the commune going, pay 'em all a bit more for the extra responsibility and work they're taking on then Mr Publisher Steve can claim a saving on the headcount equalling improved efficiency and probably a cash saving as well even after paying the communards a bit more.

So everybody is happy (apart from non-subscribers who want the dvd and subscribers who want card kits, paintbrushes, and models of the commune).  

• RMweb Gold

Mr Publisher Steve can claim a saving on the headcount equalling improved efficiency and probably a cash saving as well even after paying the communards a bit more.

Great, I now have a mental image of Andy Y singing "Don't Leave Me This Way..." :O