BRM February '19

Howard Smith

• RMweb Gold

TBH I was thinking of painting up 3 of the figures as bronski beat (seen here at Paddington after checking out a class 210 DEMU on the great western mainline!) )

4645344E-3D57-4A9D-AFA3-2B35834322C6.png

Check out the video for small town boy for futher demu action and even a fleeting glimpse of some grain flow wagons, HSTs and 117 dmu’s

• Like 1

• Administrators

Re the figures. Could I send them back & have O Scale ones instead? :mosking:

(Assuming I do buy the mag, of course!)

No. The designers have said they don't want even more of us cluttering up the office and getting in the way. 

Anyone wanting a different scale BRM team, could have a word with Modelu. I'm sure Allan would oblige by selling you a print at any scale.

There are far too many Andy, Phil and Howard’s running across my desk I really don’t need them in a different gauge too!! However we are all looking forward to seeing what you create with them? Maybe we could do spot the Phil or Andy in the next mag?

• Like 2

I'm not sure you can be trusted with mini voodoo dolls of us!

I might actually raid Howard’s desk and have a go at painting you all myself!! There are some brilliant practicals in BRM to help me! Jimmy Summerville here we come...

• Like 3

TBH I was thinking of painting up 3 of the figures as bronski beat (seen here at Paddington after checking out a class 210 DEMU on the great western mainline!) )

4645344E-3D57-4A9D-AFA3-2B35834322C6.png

Check out the video for small town boy for futher demu action and even a fleeting glimpse of some grain flow wagons, HSTs and 117 dmu’s

Great song - and video I have watched many times though I had never noticed the Grainflow wagons. Blink and you miss it! Also a Class 47 I had never noticed at the end too.

• RMweb Gold

Anyone wanting a different scale BRM team, could have a word with Modelu. I'm sure Allan would oblige by selling you a print at any scale.

Just out of curiosity, I hope nobody minds if I ask what might seem like a stupid question. Are their figures generally specified in terms of scale ratios (such as 1:76, 1:43, or whatever) or scale heights (such as 27mm, 55mm) in a similar manner to some wargaming figures?

The reason I am asking is that, while I know there are significant differences in height between members of the BRM team, these differences don't appear to be reflected in the figures (all of which seem to be very close to 27mm).

I don't think this needs to be a problem, as long as people are careful with figure placement. As a crazy thought, I can't help wondering if perhaps some people might even see potential for a bit of "perspective" here.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Isn't that a photo of Ian Hislop?

:jester:

Jason

Having travelled with that chap on several occasions - we parked daily at the same station for some years, no other connection - I do not recall him eating in the train. The then-Rail Regulator, Tom Winsor, was another fellow-parker.
  • Like 2

Only a small number of locos and trains were in use on the testing day I took the photos. There are a few more shots of the same trains from different angles in the digital version. At least we went to take some pics, I don't think any other mags did.

• RMweb Gold

We'd have video too, but all you can hear on the soundtrack is GWR enthusiasts teeth gnashing...

Some of us might not be too sure on that one - after all, the GWR had a number of Diesel railcars and multiple units in revenue earning service during the 1930s and 1940s - vehicles that a number of people might regard as effectively prototypes for the postwar BR Modernisation Plan DMUs.

I am not sure that they had any real issue with Diesel powered trains - but they seemed to want to make sure the concept and designs worked before any thoughts of ordering lots of the things.

I've sometimes wondered what sort of trains they might have ordered for squadron service if they hadn't been nationalized - whether lots of similar looking designs might have appeared in due course - stuff like that - but I don't think this thread is the right place to discuss such thoughts in detail.

Huw.

• Administrators

Just out of curiosity, I hope nobody minds if I ask what might seem like a stupid question. Are their figures generally specified in terms of scale ratios (such as 1:76, 1:43, or whatever) or scale heights (such as 27mm, 55mm) in a similar manner to some wargaming figures?

The reason I am asking is that, while I know there are significant differences in height between members of the BRM team, these differences don't appear to be reflected in the figures (all of which seem to be very close to 27mm).

I don't think this needs to be a problem, as long as people are careful with figure placement. As a crazy thought, I can't help wondering if perhaps some people might even see potential for a bit of "perspective" here.

Huw.

Plastic Phil is 27mm tall. Real Phil is 6ft 3in - the figure scales out at 4.32mm:1ft (slightly less as plastic Phil has shoes on whereas Real Phil is measured in socks). The team heights don't vary very much, although I think Real Andy has bribed the Chinese to make Plastic Andy slightly taller than real life as I'm taller than him. 

The Modelu originals are slightly smaller, presuably we all put on weight and height during the mould making process. 

I was very miffed to see that the gang of four were being given out with the news-stand issue, whilst the PBS (Poor Blxxdy Subscriber) only gets a drinks coaster!

I do see uses for a bloke with a notebook and his mate with the camera.....

Just tailor your purchasing method to suit as I have. Prefer the free gifts on the cover to the dvd, buy from newsstand. Want a dvd and a magazine to flick through, subscribe paper. Don't want paper copies cluttering your house, go digital.

The figures I have may end up in a cakebox challenge.

• Like 1

So how tall are the BRM team ? My 4 figures are betwen 27 & 28mm high. At 1:76 that makes them between 2.05 & 2.1 metres tall. That's 6ft 9ins to 6ft 11 in old money.  :O  

Oops, just seen the above post !

Edited by GNR Dave

After seeing this thread I’ve realised that my subscription copy has not arrived. Who do I contact please to sort this out?

Best ring the subs department on 01778 392002 Steve, you should have had it about a week ago.

• RMweb Premium

The Modelu originals are slightly smaller, presuably we all put on weight and height during the mould making process. 

If you airbrush the models, will they lose the extra, or does that only happen in fashion / celebrity publications?

___

I've got the DVD - I'd not considered height as a factor in forced perspective for viewers, but Mr Parker is 8.7% taller than Mr York, so a layout will presumably look smaller next to Mr P?

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke