BRM February '19

Howard Smith

• RMweb Gold

We can all be cut in half and used in coaching stock. The bottom halves can be turned upside down over drain covers and chimneys etc.

I don't think I would feel comfortable cutting you inhalf Andy! It seems cruel!

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

We can all be cut in half and used in coaching stock. The bottom halves can be turned upside down over drain covers and chimneys etc.

Cor, is this some new sort of challenge about making things out of unusual scrap objects?  Next thing you know you'll all be on the telly having your legs trousers and shoes judged.

Very disappointed to see that the DVD is not part of the "off the shelf" offering this month and can't be obtained via the Website as in previous months.  Mini-Me's of the production team aren't a lot of use to me, would rather have had the DVD.

It seems that this practice of providing different offerings for the subscribers compared to the purchasers is going to continue for the next few months.  I don't want to subscribe and will now be thinking twice about buying especially as the plastic bags now prevent you from seeing the content before parting with your cash.

Found the Pendon article disappointing especially when 3 of the 4 printed photographs have already appeared on RMWeb.

Found the Pendon article disappointing especially when 3 of the 4 printed photographs have already appeared on RMWeb.

The main purpose of showing some pictures on RMweb was to encourage people to go the event whereas the BRM piece was a retrospective. I took a range of pictures from which the editorial desk select ones to illustrate the article.

With respect to subscriptions, whether print or digital there are frequently offers which mean that having a year's worth delivered is often better value than just selecting certain issues at the newsstand.

I've said before that the way to guarantee a DVD is to subscribe as we have given added value offerings on the newsstand shelves, I can foresee a rush for next month's from modellers who want something quite usable.

Whilst BRM gives readers more options on packages so that there's something with significant added value beyond a plain magazine for everyone inevitably there will be some who take a different viewpoint; as they say you cannot please all of the people all of the time. Sales indications are that the wider market is taking advantage of more of the offers so, as a business, we can be proud of that.

• Like 2

Hello Everyone,

I have subscribed but it will not start until March.

Is there a way to get the DVD as I'm a fan of portchullin.

Scottish Blue diesels DCC and sound I've seen the layout twice just needed a comfy chair and a cuppa I'd spend hours watching it.

I've checked out flea bay but nothing yet. Is there a link to the content in the digital edition as in a previous issue there was a link to you tube and sprucing up the Chris Ford art of compromise layout which I did enjoy and inspired me to start building.

Your hopefully brexit or not.

G.

Hello Everyone,

I have subscribed but it will not start until March.

Is there a way to get the DVD as I'm a fan of portchullin.

Scottish Blue diesels DCC and sound I've seen the layout twice just needed a comfy chair and a cuppa I'd spend hours watching it.

I've checked out flea bay but nothing yet. Is there a link to the content in the digital edition as in a previous issue there was a link to you tube and sprucing up the Chris Ford art of compromise layout which I did enjoy and inspired me to start building.

Your hopefully brexit or not.

G.

I suggest sending a polite request via email - brm@warnersgroup.co.uk

I did that for the Jan DVD, & they've sent me the Feb one as well, both for free. :good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Let's see your painted BRM team figures on your layouts - assuming you've painted them already, that is... Has anybody created any interesting cameos with them?

Please post your photographs below...

Presumably someone, somewhere, will produce a cameo called “What the Buttler Saw”?

• RMweb Gold

Not normally to buy a magazine twice, but as my digital one is such good value and the temptation of 4 figures was too much, off I went..

I've sat them on the plate ready to be painted. It does appear they are a few mm taller than my shunter that's not quite finished. 

post-19113-0-82528100-1547471811_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not normally to buy a magazine twice, but as my digital one is such good value and the temptation of 4 figures was too much, off I went..

I've sat them on the plate ready to be painted. It does appear they are a few mm taller than my shunter that's not quite finished.

Just out of interest, how tall is your shunter (minus the base, of course)?

Your shunter is a bit small. My figure is only 1mm or so too tall for 4mm scale, I think we worked out it was 4.2mm to the foot. Andy on the other hand bribed the mould maker...

I'm not so sure about the shunter. You've commented about being around 1.9m tall (this doesn't surprise me in the slightest - but I suspect it to be slightly above average adult male height).

Well, there's quite a bit of variation in adult male height in this country - a range of 1.5m to 2.0m is not unknown amongst the current population. (There's actually almost this much variation amongst some of my male relatives - but I digress.)

If you were to go back 50 or 100 years, I suspect you might find that a lot of people tended to be significantly shorter than their descendants alive today.

I don't know if you remember in the year 2000, there was a BBC2 programme called "The 1900 House" - in which a family were "transported" back to a recreation of a typical house and (as far as practicable) life a hundred years earlier. One of the few things that stuck in my mind from that programme was them needing to make extra tall versions of clothes - accompanied by a comment about men typically being about 6 inches (150mm) shorter than their modern equivalents.

It was actually this inter-generation height difference - plus the variation in heights amongst people I've personally known over the years - which prompted my question about whether certain model figures are made to a constant scale or a constant height.

Huw.

• Administrators

The shunter is about 22mm.. He is also a ModelU Figure. The BRM crew are about 27mm.

The shunter is 5'6" tall, so on the short side. The BRM crew are slightly tall (I'm about 1.1mm too tall), a bit like Dapol figures. People are not all the same height.

• RMweb Gold

The shunter is about 22mm.. He is also a ModelU Figure. The BRM crew are about 27mm.

The shunter is 5'6" tall, so on the short side. The BRM crew are slightly tall … a bit like Dapol figures. People are not all the same height.

Too right.

As for the shunter, he wouldn't look at all out of place on a 4mm scale layout - quite apart from him being within a typical adult height range, would you really expect shunters to be the tallest, most heavily built of people? Probably not, when they often need to be able to move about in very restricted spaces.

As for the Dapol figures, I think they are well known for being tall - but I am sure they still have their uses - probably a case of thinking about what works where on any layout or diorama.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Too right.

As for the shunter, he wouldn't look at all out of place on a 4mm scale layout - quite apart from him being within a typical adult height range, would you really expect shunters to be the tallest, most heavily built of people? Probably not, when they often need to be able to move about in very restricted spaces.

As for the Dapol figures, I think they are well known for being tall - but I am sure they still have their uses - probably a case of thinking about what works where on any layout or diorama.

Huw.

Shorter the better for passenger shunting, even I used to find it awkward on passenger stock at a tad under 5ft 11".  And I watched a tall chap getting into a heck of a state trying to couple on at the MHR a week or two back - he was simply too tall to get at the vacuum bags easily and one of them was very stiff which made things a lot worse.

You just need a really short figure now and you could recreate the ‘i look up to him....” sketch from ‘that was the week that was’

I know my place

I seem to recall that it was "The Frost Report".  Hells teeth, I'm old enough to remember!

Chris