1960's BR built flat wagons with 3 coal 'boxes'

Rail-Online

Hi,

Found this interesting train in a 1967 neg and although I was aware that the LYR and POs built these Box coal wagons for loading bunkerage coal into steam powered trawlers and ships, I assumed that they would be extinct by the 1950s.

these look like a new build ( or recent re-body)

Were there many of them and on what traffic would they be used in this period?  When were they withdrawn?

Tony

Should have said, neg taken at Farrington Preston, Dec 1967

post-4594-0-10715800-1545932426_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rail-Online
  • Like 1

The LMS had built some wagons to carry similar containers just before WW2; they were intended to carry roadstone. However, these carried four skips, not three.

Given where the photo was taken, they could be ex-works from Horwich.

They look very much like Denparts, a dmu engine in each outer container and two gear boxes in the centre container.

Edited by 45125

BR's Horwich foundry was also the supplier of cast iron brake blocks, thousands of which were used by BR every month.

Perhaps the boxes could contain these?

They might do, though most deliveries of brake blocks I saw were in either 16t Minerals or 13t steel-bodied Highs. The same wagons would eventually return with used ones for re-melting.

Though there is some resemblance to the Denparts, the boxes on the latter were semi-permanently attached.

• RMweb Gold

Note that the centre box is smaller than the other two, suggesting that they were intended to carry a standard combination of specific items.  That would rule out any mineral or other commodity traffic, I'd think, and probably the brake blocks, too.

The provision of dedicated wagons implies that the traffic was expected to be long-term and regular in order to justify the investment. Also that the load was too valuable, delicate or awkward to handle/secure to allow the use of standard open wagons or vans. 

The engines and gearboxes cited in 45125's post sound the most likely of the suggestions so far.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling